kevin coynes?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
firebetty

kevin coynes?

Post by firebetty »

never heard him before, but i just heard a couple of tracks on the radio and went to his website.
what is up with him?
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

The guy's been recording off and on for thirty years or so, and despite modest success in the UK (in the 70's particularly, when the then-new Virgin Records were releasing his stuff and giving him license to do whatever he wanted), he's never been much-appreciated or even heard of in the US.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
firebetty

Post by firebetty »

HS,
i should have known i could count on you!
thanks.
besides the "he's never been much-appreciated or even heard of in the US." do you hold any opinion on his music?
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

It's been a long time since I was exposed to any of his songs, and I don't have any of his recordings, so I can't really enlighten. Sorry.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Isn't it Coyne? I can remember his face, he looks like he smokes a lot, so it's good if he's still around. He's pretty obscure here too, I can tell you. He is English, isn't he? I remember reading an interview with him in about 1979 in the NME. He must have had an LP out. I think they were positive. That's all I can remember.
frank

Post by frank »

Kevin Coyne had modest succes in the UK and the rest of Western Europe at the end of the seventies. He was (is ?) a great singer songwriter, but saw his career drowned in alcohol. If you want to hear more of him, listen to 'Dynamite Daze' - really great album.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

frank wrote:Kevin Coyne had modest succes in the UK and the rest of Western Europe at the end of the seventies. He was (is ?) a great singer songwriter, but saw his career drowned in alcohol. If you want to hear more of him, listen to 'Dynamite Daze' - really great album.
Mid-seventies actually. I suppose he could have been considered a thinking-person's Joe Cocker. I was fortunate enough to catch him live in concert a few times in the period 1974-75. He had a very strong stage presence and a voice to match. As well as 'Dynamite Daze' I would also heartily recommend 'Matching Head and Feet' and 'Marjory Razorblade'.

regards, Tim(e)...
firebetty

Post by firebetty »

thanks boys!
i will have to use your tips on my next amazon (ugh) bindge.