Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

In addition to mug's CD, I took delivery today of Cat Power's "The Greatest" and Jenny Lewis' "Rabbit Fur Coat". Both excellent on a first listen.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Who Shot Sam? wrote: Jenny Lewis' "Rabbit Fur Coat".
An adorable record; charming from start to finish.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote: Jenny Lewis' "Rabbit Fur Coat".
An adorable record; charming from start to finish.
Yep, it's a good one. The only tune I'm not crazy about is the cover of "Handle With Care", but that's a minor criticism.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Random note about Jenny Lewis. Did you guys know she used to be a child actor? I just saw her yesterday on a 1988 episode of Growing Pains. Ben has a crush on her. Turns out she's also the girl in The Wizard, that movie about video games that starred Fred Savage.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

It's time to order a new batch of cds. Here's what I'm getting so far:

The Clash - The Clash
Leonard Cohen - New Skin For The Old Ceremony
Ferry Bryan - Mamouna
Talking Heads - Remain In Light (remastered with dvd)
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks
The Band - Music From The Big Pink
Bob Dylan - The Essential Bob Dylan
Moneybrother - To Die Alone
Soundtrack - Bladerunner
Prince - Purple Rain
Nick Cave - Abbatoir Blues...
Kris Kristofferson - Kristofferson
Brian Eno - Before And After Science
Pogues - Rum, Sodomy And The Lash (remastered & bonus tracks)

Almost half of these albums I've owned previously on vinyl or Mp3. Most of the other bands I have other albums by. Anyone have any recommendations for albums to check out? Doesn't have to be based on this list (regarding what I might like or not, that is).

Anybody heard Moneybrother, btw? He's a Swedish artist, sounds quite similiar to Morrissey in vocals, but you can hear his swedish accent. This album has been getting great reviews over here and I like what's been played on the radio. It's available half-price here right now so I figured I might aswell check it out.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I don't think you need any recommendations with a list like that! Some real classics there. Is Ferry Bryan the same person as Bryan Ferry? You asked elsewhere about solo Moz. Must haves from the cannon are Vauxhall and I, Your Arsenal, You Are The Quarry and Viva Hate. I haven't heard all of the mid-90s ones like Maladjusted and Southpaw Grammat, they just sounded depressing from the reviews, but they will all have their moments.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Oops, yeah, it's Bryan Ferry. I forgot to switch the names around after pasting the list from the shop.

For some reason this shop only has the special edition of Quarry... and the only older cd is Viva Hate. How's that one?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Viva Hate has some of Morrisseys best stuff on it - well worth owning.

If your looking for something a bit different - you could always try Jellyfish, either of their albums, or their ex guitarist singer Jason Faulkners solo records Author Unknown, and Can You Still Feel , which are also great - sort of like an American version of Squeeze - first class pop not a world away from EC.

Me - I just finally got this delivered after waiting months and months.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Since reading Mikeh's post about My Flame Burns Blue being cheap on 101cd.com I had a trawl through the site which worked out pretty expensive. As well as My Flame Burns Blue I bought

The Complete Adventures of The Style Council - The Style Council
Extras - The Jam
In Concert - The Style Council
Sex Pistols Box Set - Sex Pistols
At the BBC - The Jam.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I just placed the order and the final list of stuff I bought looks like this:

Listened to before:
The Band - Music From The Big Pink
The Clash - The Clash
Bob Dylan - The Essential Bob Dylan (almost all of it atleast)
Talking Heads - Remain In Light (remastered with dvd) (one of my all time favourite albums)
Brian Eno - Before And After Science
Pogues - Rum, Sodomy And The Lash (remastered & bonus tracks)
Prince - Purple Rain

New:
Nick Cave - Abbatoir Blues...
Leonard Cohen - New Skin For The Old Ceremony
Bryan Ferry - Mamouna
Kris Kristofferson - Kristofferson
Moneybrother - To Die Alone
Morrissey - Viva Hate! Added Value
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks
The Specials - More Specials
Wire - Chairs Missing

I've never heard nor heard of Wire. But I was looking for a certain album cover on rateyourmusic.com and noticed Chairs Missing was first place in the year of its release, so I looked it up on allmusic.com and it sounded interesting. Looking forward to hearing it.

Thanks for the suggestions Mike. I think I've heard quite a bit of Jellyfish before because my brother likes them. They didn't catch my attention back then so I think I'll listen to the albums at his place first since I have the option. 'Course I hope I'm not mixing 'em up with something else.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Cat Power - The Greatest
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

Both are great records, but Cat Power's is damn good. It really is like an indie-rock Dusty In Memphis, as I've heard it compared to. The instrumentation and groove throughout is really nice. If you've found Cat Power's earlier stuff too mellow, you may like this.. it's a little more upbeat.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Mike: I used to listen to Wings Over America endlessly as a teen. I've always loved live records, and that was a fave back then, along with Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous and, er, Uriah Heep live! I haven't dug it out for ages, but when I do, I know I will know every note and at the end of each song, will know what's coming next without checking. I love Let Me Roll It on it.

Chrille: Wire are legendary here. Highly original post-punk art-school angular rock. To be honest, I don't know their stuff really, I've been waiting all these years. Tell us what you think. Viva Hate has some of Morrissey's best moments (Suedehead, Everyday Is Like Sunday, Late Night, Maudlin Street), a few average ones, and the painful Bengali In Platforms with the truly repulsive lines, addressed to a Bengali, who Morrissey identifies as culturally misplaced, presumably with the platforms heightening (literally) the effect 'Cos life is hard enough when you belong here'. The word 'belong' is sickening, and was the harbinger of doom of Morrissey's shame in allowing himself to be affiliated with right-wing racists. Of course being Morrissey, the sympathetic feel of the music complicates things, but any amount of irony, shared outsiderdom or empathy you could claim for him is overshadowed by that Saxon supremist 'belong', with a side order of irony in the fact that Moz's blood is, as the song tells us, Irish. His wearing of the Union Jack, flirtations with right-wing skinhead imagery and the 'sequel' National Front Disco all add to this sad legacy, now fortunately consigned to the history locker.

One of the things I love about Viva Hate is that Vini Reilly aka Durutti Column is all over it. He is on friendly terms with Moz yet isn't credited on the record, which is shocking. His is the guitar making Suedehead exciting, and he essentially created the music on Maudlin Street. If you know his DC stuff, which I love, endlessly evocative guitar music, occasionally with frail vocals, you will recognise his musical DNA all over that one. Great combination, him and Moz.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

BlueChair wrote:Cat Power - The Greatest
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

Both are great records, but Cat Power's is damn good. It really is like an indie-rock Dusty In Memphis, as I've heard it compared to. The instrumentation and groove throughout is really nice. If you've found Cat Power's earlier stuff too mellow, you may like this.. it's a little more upbeat.
I downloaded a couple of tracks from Cat Power's album and really liked them. I'm gonna pick up the album over the weekend.

Anyone else got the Belle and Sebastian record. Thinking about it...........good reviews.
corruptio optimi pessima
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Otis: I've listened to Wire's Chairs Missing quite a few times and it's a very good album. Although it's a hard listen. There are many excellent tracks but not all songs are not to my taste, even though I do like experimental stuff. They just go in through one ear and out of the other. They might grow on me after more listens though. Very original as you said.

I just listened to More Specials for the first time and I don't think any album has been as instantly likeable for me in a long time. Perhaps this means I will grow tired of it sooner. But it's a great start either way.

The other cds should arrive tomorrow.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I've always loved More Specials. HeyLittle Rich Rich Girl, I, Can't Stand It, Enjoy Yourself, Pearls's Cafe, Do Nothing, Stereotype are all great songs. A great 2nd album.
signed with love and vicious kisses
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Mike Boom: I'm a big fan of Jason Falkner as well, with the song 'Author Unknown' being one of my favorites. Just picked up the new Beth Orton for my girlfriend. First listen I kinda like it- a little folkier than her last couple, I believe.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

"Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall" -1957

"The Ultimate Adventure" by Chick Corea
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
verbal gymnastics

so lacklustre wrote:I've always loved More Specials.
Me too - I love International Jet Set and Stereotype. I love the "He blamed his fiancee when he got VD" line.
verbal gymnastics

so lacklustre wrote:I've always loved More Specials.
Me too - I love International Jet Set and Stereotype. I love the "He blamed his fiancee when he got VD" line.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I have been enjoying the Arctic Monkeys album. Refreshing.
Otis Westinghouse

It kicks ass, and there's an original zesty northern feel to it, with oh so 2006 lyrics about music only existing to provide ringtones etc., but it isn't that good. Too much hype over it, largely as it's the most extreme case yet of a band having an internet-generated fan base before getting a record deal. Several of the songs do stick in your head, and their less tiresome than many of their contemporaries. It will be an LP to note in the future, but it's NME all time best Brit LP no. 5 rating will come to look very premature.

Irish singer-songwriter Declan O'Rourke's debut LP Since Kyabram was recommended to me in Dublin this week, so I got it as a Valentine's gift for my sweetheart. Bit hard to assess its qualities when on the M50 and M4 in a car with three noisy kids, but it sounded pretty good. Will want to listen properly at home now. No sign of it on Amazon UK, which makes it feel all the more interesting, but this person likes it:

http://www.cluas.com/music/albums/declan_o_rourke.htm
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

My signed copy of the Billy Bragg boxed set arrived despite the official release date of 6th March. However after the briefest of glimpses it has been taken away as it is a birthday present from my n&d. So I will have to wait until 5th March!!

Whilst ordering bumped up the cost to get free postage by ordering this greta 'Che Cooper' t-shirt.
Otis Westinghouse

Couldn't believe my eyes when I opened Friday's Guardian Film & Music Weekly to read there was a new Durutti Column, and they were giving it a 5-star review, swooning over 'some of the most beautifully human music this influential Mancunian (or anyone else) has ever recorded'.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/ ... 38,00.html

Durutti is one of the many bands/people (Durutti = Vini Reilly) I worshipped as a teen, lost sight of for 20 years and have rediscovered in recent years. One of my absolute favourite guitarists. So I rushed to Amazon marketplace and ordered a copy at a good price. Can't wait.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

MFBB and the Arctic Monkeys arrived this morning. Will give 'em a spin this afternoon.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

El Vez is only to blame for half.
Like me, the "g" is silent.