Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Recent CD Purchases

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It is, isn't it? As ever, first play or two and I'm thinking 'Is this going to measure up to Time Being?', now on play three and it's getting better and better. I like the fuller arrangements and the brass, and it's got quite a different feel to lots of his, but then although he's the king of low-key emotional expression, all his LPs have a distinct flavour. A few tracks standing out so far. Maybe there isn't one that gets the jugular in the way 'Snow Angel' did on TB, or 'Dandelion Wine' on Retriever, but give it time. Glad he's on Yep Roc.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just ordered this, on the strength of some very positive reviews...

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Had the tape for years, but must get this too. It's a great show. Was a legendary bootleg for years and then was released officially.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Agree that Exit Strategy For the Soul is a grower. Also, nice of YepRoc to give away 2 pleasant bonus tracks. They seem like a nice label for Ron.

Just acquired Randy Newman - Harps & Angels. Not played all of it yet, but loving the 1st few tracks. They're fully orchestrated, the version of A Few Words in Defense of My Country has a jolly ragtime feel to it, and one sounds like it belongs in a musical.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Two bonus tracks? I only got Too Good To Be True! Where's the other one from?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Two bonus tracks? I only got Too Good To Be True! Where's the other one from?
There was a slip of paper inside the digipack, with a code to enter in MyStash - EXITBONUS. It's a nice version of Cat Stevens' Here Comes My Baby
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Nice one. Didn't see that one. Playing it now. Thanks. There was also a new Mercury Rev song on there, so am checking that out too.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I await your assessment of Weller, and also to see if you too get the Fleet Foxes bug.

22 Dreams is good in parts but other parts are not. I Like the opening four tracks in particular, especially Have You Made Up Your Mind. It probably should have been 14 dreams. The God track is bizarre. Definitely esoeclect(r)ic.

I like the general sound of Fleet Foxes but wouldn't say I have got the bug. I don't really like the lead singer's voice much, which doesn't help. I think they've set out to make a 21st century Brian Wilson album. I'd rather listen to Smile.
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Inspired by the CD circle I have just ordered:

"The Best of Randy Newman: Lonely at the Top"
Randy Newman; Audio CD; £4.98

"The Definitive Ray Charles"
Ray Charles; Audio CD; £6.48

1 "Legend - The Best Of"
Willie Nelson; Audio CD; £8.98
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

so lacklustre wrote:I like the general sound of Fleet Foxes but wouldn't say I have got the bug. I don't really like the lead singer's voice much, which doesn't help. I think they've set out to make a 21st century Brian Wilson album. I'd rather listen to Smile.
Heresy! Not loving that fabulous voice surely can't help. I listen to the strength and purity of that voice in awe. I haven't been able to go back to Smile, though I know I should, but this I can play forever. The Brian Wilson thing is only one element of their make-up, though. (I'm still waiting for an American musicologist to tell me more). Couldn't find anything too revealing on a search, but here's an interesting take o the Beach Boys aspect:

'Fleet Foxes, a five-piece from near Washington, are like The Beach Boys if they were a folk band or if they'd continued down the path they were travelling on their 1968 album of idiosyncratic hymnal non-religious church music, Friends.'

Never even heard of that LP, but it sounds appropriate. That comment from here.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Picked up Pete Townshend & Ronnie Lane's underrated Rough Mix on CD yesterday, along with a used copy of Squeeze's Gold compilation (it was a bargain, and I figured it'd tide me over until their back catalogue is properly reissued in North America). All of the Squeeze that I own had been on vinyl.

I also bought The Jayhawks' Blue single. I'm not normally a buyer of singles, but it had two songs on it that did not appear on Tomorrow The Green Grass.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
blooch

Post by blooch »

Havent been listening to much lately.
Looking forward to the new Teddy Thompson album out soon which i have on order

Gonna dig out some of my Jayhawks albums especially Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass.
Have they got anything in the pipeline?

By the way i noticed that Fleet Foxes are coming to my city of Norwich (uk) later in the year.
I think its about £14.50 a ticket. Ive heard alot about them from you guys but not sure i like them enough to see them. Should i take the chance?
blooch

Post by blooch »

By the way Fleet Foxes is £12.00 not £14.50
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

blooch wrote: Gonna dig out some of my Jayhawks albums especially Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass.
Have they got anything in the pipeline?
The Jayhawks officially disbanded back in 2005, but apparently their Tomorrow The Green Grass-era lineup (Gary Louris, Mark Olson, Marc Perlman, Tim O'Reagan and Karen Grotberg) is reuniting for a one-off performance at the Azkena Rock Fesival in Spain. Gary Louris recently came out with a solo record, and apparently is releasing a collaborative album with Mark Olson in September.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

As for Fleet Foxes - go while it's still a bargain and while they're still playing small venues!
Otis Westinghouse

Absolutely! I've not checked their dates recently - clearly they're adding more. Before it was Birmingham or shepherd's Bush Empire, both of which are reachable from Cambridge, but so is Norwich. Never been to a gig there. UEA? Maybe they're actually playing the Corn Exchange here (though not in the recent programme). I must see them. Have yet to check out the FF podcast from the utterly impressive site that contained the brilliant, brilliant Tom Waits recent gig (see relevant TW thread, but I'm sure it will be excellent. The LP is soooo lovely.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Beck's new one and M. Ward's Transfiguration of Vincent, both on vinyl since InSound has free shipping this week.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Just got Randy Newman's latest but have only listened to it once, very fleetingly. It sounds fantastic on first listen. BTW, the core backing band includes Pete Thomas on drums and Greg Cohen on bass and they really swing!
51yRtQotO4L._SS400_[1].jpg
51yRtQotO4L._SS400_[1].jpg (31.39 KiB) Viewed 17960 times
blooch

Post by blooch »

Just bought Southside johnny and The asbury Jukes best of cd. Brilliant
Also just bought Live At Newcastle Opera House on dvd. What a great show. Sounded better live than recorded so im definetely going to see them in Norwich in October.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

$6 from the clearance table at Starbucks, along with two nice travel mugs...

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Decided to pick up the Inara George/Van Dyke Parks albums after watching/listening to their fantastic set on KCRW's "Morning Becomes Eclectic"...

http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/m ... ge_and_van

She reminds me a little of Annie Clark (St. Vincent).
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Twangy sounds all mixed up with harsher elements - how did I miss this 'til now?

http://www.blanchemusic.com/homepage.shtml
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The new Ron Sexsmith and Brandi Carlile discs (too lazy to look for artwork).
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I got The Jam All Mod Cons Deluxe version for my birthday.

Fantastic. I haven't watched the DVD yet but I'm away on business tomorrow night so I should be able to watch it then.

I also got Squeeze BBC Sessions. 8)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Happy birthday! I was playing AMC the other day. Fabulous stuff. So many outstanding songs. And what a truly great thing to come across as a teenager. Also, I was in Sainsbury's yesterday and had Strange Town fixed in my head - just as well I had my iPod in my pocket and could relieve myself of the torment. I then listened to 10+ Jam classics from Direction, Reaction, Creation. Very good supermarket music. I dig the iPod in that context. I was tempted to also seek out In The Crowd and buy some Walls ice-cream, but thought this might be going a bit too far, as would the temptation to play The Clash's Lost in the Supermarket.