recent DVD purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Most of these are gifts:

The Office: The Complete Series and Special
Seinfeld Season 3
Dog Day Afternoon
Elephant
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I'm on a cronenberg craving ever since i bought Videodrome so the last two dvds i bought were:

Rabid- his second film, a slightly campy, man made vampire movie.

Naked Lunch- it just came in yesterday and i can't wait to watch it. I also have this distinct memory of my dad reading the Burroughs book in spanish and ecouraging me to read it at an early age. i don't think i read it but i found that title very interesting Almuerzo Desnudo

I also bought Everybody Loves Raymond season 3, for my honey.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
bobster

Post by bobster »

Cronenberg and Romano....There's a buddy cop film in there somewhere....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Sideways...haven't seen it yet but looking forward to it.
I'm not angry anymore....
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Hoodoo Gurus - Tunnel Vision

It's a 2 DVD collection of all their 30 song clips plus 16 live songs along with a retrospective documentary, all going over their complete 23 year history. The documentary is interesting and informative, telling about how they started as a kind of eccentric pop punk band (then known as 'Le' Hoodoo Gurus) comparable with the B52s and The Cramps, how they became popular on US college radio from the early 80's, has interviews with all of them and past members and associates and a lots of album and touring stories, and shows how they with singer/songwriter Dave Faulkner evolve to come up with a heap of veritably great songs in Australian popular music. The song clips are priceless, a lot of them being low budget affairs that nevertheless capture their humour and style and also reveal a lot about the Australian music scene through time. It's an excellent introduction to the band. I've seen them twice ('88 and '04) and am familiar with probably 70% of their music but I'd recommend it to anybody, and this is the best introduction to the Hoodoo Gurus you can get.
strangerinthehouse

pavement- Slow Century

It was almost as if i woke up wanting to get it. This is the collection of all of their videos as well as two live performances and a 60 minute documentary by Lance Bangs. the videos are some of the weirdest funniest clips i've seen but i'm looking forward to the documentary the most, i want to find out why they broke up. they were great, their albums are the best musical mess.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

strangerinthehouse wrote:pavement- Slow Century

It was almost as if i woke up wanting to get it. This is the collection of all of their videos as well as two live performances and a 60 minute documentary by Lance Bangs. the videos are some of the weirdest funniest clips i've seen but i'm looking forward to the documentary the most, i want to find out why they broke up. they were great, their albums are the best musical mess.
You know, Stephen Malkmus has a new album coming out this month.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I picked up LIFE AQUATIC today, which I haven't seen but know I'll probably love, as I can watch TENNENBAUMS until the cows come home. It's amazing that for the same price as two movie tickets (one for me, one for Tallulah) you can buy the DVD.
strangerinthehouse

Stephen Malkmus has a new album coming out this month.
I know but i haven't listened to any of his solo stuff yet, i'm either afraid i won't like it as much as pavement or i still hope they get back together
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Born to Boogie - the T Rex film directed by Ringo Star back in the early seventies - centers around the triumphant T- Rex concert at Wembley Pool in 1972, with a few added "fantasy" sequences in-between - ahhh takes me back to when I was twelve - Marc Bolan poster on my wall - The Slider on the stereo - actually The Slider has never really left my turntable - its a wonderful DVD with lots of nice extras and takes you back to a time when Rock n Roll was fun, kids wore stars and glitter on their faces and platform shoes on their feet and Rock n Roll stars were REALLY stars. Contains an awesome Children of the Revolution with Ringo on drums and Elton John ripping it up on piano. 5 stars, 10 points, an important rock n roll history lesson - every home should have one - they dont make em like Bolan anymore.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

That's definitely on my to-get list. Read a review of it somewhere (Word?) but was worrying it wasn't readily available on this side of the Atlantic.

I also just tonight copied that Stephen Malkmus record from a pal. He had a show here on Monday which I'd hoped to catch but couldn't.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Mike Boom wrote:Born to Boogie - the T Rex film directed by Ringo Star back in the early seventies....
Intriguing indeed. On the one hand, I'm guessing that this was one of the concert films that gave them such a bad rap back in the seventies -- assuming it got a theatrical release in the States.

On the other hand, Ringo could hardly be a worse director than Prince ("Sign O' the Times"....great music, lousy film!) and it's got to be a pretty fascinating look at a lost time in music. How's the sound, Mike?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Actually Ringo does a pretty good job, the crowd shots are great and both the film and the soundtrack have been cleaned up - Tony Visconti remixing it from the audio master tapes - so the sound is really good.
Its amazing to me T Rex never made it big in America and Bowie did. I think Bowie based a lot of his stuff on Bolan.
And for anyone interested I suggest checking out the earlier Tyrannosaurus Rex acoustic stuff from Beard of Stars and Unicorn etc that John Peel championed and loved so much, its awesome stuff too.

P.S The DVD also contains the entire concert at Wembley un-interrupted and the matinee show too and some doco's and interviews etc.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

No new movies for me, but I did pick up FIFA Fever for a cool $19. 3+ hours of superb World Cup footage and features spread over two DVDs. Plenty of Brazil, Mexico 1970, Italy's victory in 1982, Gascoigne, etc. - tons of other great stuff. Been watching it bit by bit on my new 20" iMac. Best sports DVD I've ever watched - can't wait for Germany 2006.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

What is the point in buying DVDs?

How many times can watch a single movie?

Rent it for £2 seven times or buy it once for £14. I know what I'd choose every time>
corruptio optimi pessima
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I'll watch a movie I like about 3 or 4 times when I first discover it. Then it's nice to have to watch again later with a friend who hasn't seen it. And I loan them out to work pals.

DVDs I own that I've watched at least three times:

Amores Perros
Royal Tennenbaums
Bridget Jones
Jeff Buckley Live in Chicago
-->Trashcan Sinatras, Weightlifting DVD (so there!! 8) )
The Office, complete second season
Big Lebowski
The Anniversary Party
Brazil
Wings of Desire
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Gosford Park
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
Moulin Rouge

...and so on. And I won't even go into the ones my son and I watch together more times than I can count (Men In Black, The Three Amigos,
Star Wars, Episodes 4-6, Rex the Runt, etc.).
bobster

Post by bobster »

Even as a pretty serious movie buff, I'm sort of in Jackson's camp...but there are some movies I make an exception for if they're at a good price or a gift -- and in the case of DVDs with lots of extras, there's a definite convenience factor to owning the thing.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

The only movies that get watched more than once in my house are children's movies....oh and although it is not universally popular on this board, 'It' a Wonderful Life' comes out every Christmas.

We watched 'Sideways' last night (rental) and we both thought it was excellent - really enjoyed it.
corruptio optimi pessima
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Jackson Monk wrote:The only movies that get watched more than once in my house are children's movies....oh and although it is not universally popular on this board, 'It' a Wonderful Life' comes out every Christmas.
That movie makes me cry every time...my dad mocks me for it.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

miss buenos aires wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote:The only movies that get watched more than once in my house are children's movies....oh and although it is not universally popular on this board, 'It' a Wonderful Life' comes out every Christmas.
That movie makes me cry every time...my dad mocks me for it.
I think that it's zuzu's petals that does it :cry:
corruptio optimi pessima
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

No way, it's when Harry says "A toast to my big brother George, the richest man in town!" Or maybe when Clarence gets his wings.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Jackson Monk wrote:What is the point in buying DVDs?

Rent it for £2 seven times or buy it once for £14. I know what I'd choose every time>
It's actually funny, cause I use the opposite justification. Lately there have been a bunch of Woody Allen titles on sale at HMV for $9.99. Now, I could rent those films for $4.50, but if renting it twice is going to be the same as buying it once, obviously I'm going to buy it.

Of course, there are the DVDs that are closer to $25, but even then, considering it costs anywhere between $9 and $13 to go to the cinema here now, why not just buy the DVD and have full access to it?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

For many of the best films, a small screen just isn't full access.

Seeing Year Of The Horse in a small theatre (c:a 20 seats!) with a really big screen and LOUD sound was nearly as good as last time I saw Crazy Horse live, but watching the DVD at home leaves me pretty cold, even the great version of Fucking Up kicking things off.

On the other hand, I preferred Coffee & Cigarettes hungover on my couch. (so now that's tradition)

Buying once rather than renting twice makes sense, of course.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

King Hoarse wrote: Buying once rather than renting twice makes sense, of course.
If you pay US prices!
corruptio optimi pessima
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Jackson Monk wrote:What is the point in buying DVDs?

Ok, as someone who possesses close to 800 DVDs I feel like I should throw in my 2 cents worth ;)

As I purchase for the most part from the US, UK, Japan and China (and occassionally Korea), a large proportion of my collection comprises films that are just not to be found in rental outlets here in Australia. Although I do purchase a few "mainstream" titles, mostly I collect (yes, I am what I consider to be a film collector) titles that have left an impression on me in youth, or appeal to my left of centre tastes.

For example, even though some are available here in Australia, titles such as 8 1/2, Juliet of the Spirits, Seven Samurai, Kagemusha, Hidden Fortress, Rent Lola Rent, Pink Flamingos, Female Trouble, Eraserhead, Betty Boop, Looney Tunes etc etc are not likely to feature heavily in the suburban rental outlets of Sydney.

I also purchase a lot of films sight unseen, justifying this by the fact that spending AUD$25 to $30 on a DVD that features commentaries, documentaries and so on, is going to be a lot cheaper than two people going to the cinema and watching a less than pristine, oft out of focus copy of the film and then having to fork out for the obligatory choc-top ice-cream and popcorn (not to mention meal if it is an evening session). By owning the DVD I can revisit as often as I like and, more importantly, when I like.

Lastly, the fact that probably one third of our collection comprises Japanese films/kids shows/music clips/concerts, there is absolutely no way that most of those will be readily available locally.

Anyway, after all that I think I am now done trying to justify myself to you all ;)