Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Because it's officially the most depressing day of the year. The weather's bad, the credit card bills from Christmas are rolling in, you've now broken all your resolutions, your printer doesn't work, you go home, you cry and you want to die (Mood - with the last time in mind, let me just spell out those last words are a Smiths reference!).
verbal gymnastics wrote:Don't be so sure that Gordon Brown will be next Leader/Prime Minister. It also peeves me when people say what a good Chancellor he's been.
Who else is is going to be? Webcameron? He'll have to win the north! I can't see him doing it. Shallower and slimier than Blair ever was, absurdly obsessed by coming across just so, devoid of content, posh in an old school Conservatiuve way. It ain't gonna work. Gordon thinks it's his, as per Indian trip and recent quotes. He's been sound enough as a chancellor, and would have more integrity than Blair, I'm sure, and do things more out of principle than special relationship arse-licking. If only he followed the Gandhi non-violence stance to the full!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

unless there is a concerted anti-brown campaign within the labour party then he will be the next leader and prime minister. he has been a good chancellor on the whole, the economy has been at it's most stable in living memory and probably a lot longer. whether he would be a good prime minister is doubtful, but he would definitely be preferable to the oppo. i do think that cameron has a chance at the next election though, labour will not win many if any seats on scotland and they could sustain losses to the libdems as well as tories elsewhere. brown will have a year at most in which turn around labour, i hope he does because the thought of another tory government makes me feel ill.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Got this from Yeproc -
Nick Lowe song on Fox show, "Bones"

An acoustic version of Nick Lowe's "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Happiness?" will be played on the Fox Show "Bones" on Tuesday, January 23rd. The song will also be available for purchase exclusively at the Yep Roc Web Shop on that date. Don't miss it!
:roll:

To their credit, they did send out a 'we're idiots!' retraction the next day.

The good news is that apparently I didn't miss the show, because El Jefe was going on and on about something or other on all the networks last night.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

An acoustic version of Nick Lowe's "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Happiness?"
A long lost collaboration between Nick Lowe and Al Green, perhaps.... :D
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fuck - one of our cats has to be put down. She has advanced stage kidney failure and it has affected her behavior in weird ways, because the toxins are backing up in her body. I found her behind one of our radiators yesterday and my daughter caught her head-first in the bathroom wastebasket the other day. My wife is devastated and my kids will be as well. We've had Tavi and her sister for 17 years, so she's had a nice long life in cat terms, but man it hurts. Worst thing about having pets is saying goodbye and we have not had to do that in a long long time. :cry: :cry:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm really sorry to hear about your cat.

It's really never easy.

As a kid, I was terrified of dogs but was ultimately won over by our golden retriever that we got when I was 10. The day I got home from studying in England 3 1/2 years ago, the vet told my parents she wouldn't make it through the winter. She made it through two winters, but ultimately was just in too much pain to endure her daily life.

Whenever I go to my parents' house, it still feels weird to not have her greet me at the door.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

We just lost a parakeet in October. Two of the kids were out of town and it was so hard to tell them when they got back. Plus, 5 years ago - just in between Doc's dad dying and my brother dying, our 16 year-old cat died. Those were a tough few months.

Sorry, WSS. :cry:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well, this made me feel a little bit better.

Scarlett Johansson sings Tom Waits. As the Grinch would say, "Now THIS is a sound I simply MUST hear!"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,221001,00.html

Of course it's a Fox News story, so there's only about a 10% chance that it's true.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Sorry to hear about your cat WSS. My mum was distraught when her cat had to be put down 18 months ago. It was the right decision as the cat had a tumour and would have no quality of life as the tumour was rapidly spreading. She's still upset about it now and she had her cat for about 16 years too. It will be a hard time for you all.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My wife called about a half an hour ago from the vets' office, pretty distraught. Because the cats have been part of our household for more than 17 years (as long as we've been together, essentially), it's is the first time we've had to deal with this. She said she doesn't want to get another pet after our other cat goes.

RIP Tavi. We have the ashes in an urn and will probably place a stone marker somewhere in our back yard.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Often times people feel that they don't want another pet just after one goes. Then when the void is there, you want to fill it again. Maybe your wife will change her mind later, in her own time.

RIP Tavi.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Sorry to hear your news Sam - my thoughts are with you. They are a part of your family and people who are not animal lovers just dont understand. We lost one of our our beloved cats a few years ago and she was 17 - took us a long time to get over it.

Out there are plenty of homeless kitties who have been neglected or cruely treated and need love and a good home, and you and your family are just the sort of folk they need. Go for it. :)
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Thanks Gilli. I expect we will get another cat at some point, but it may take a while. My boy wants a puppy, but my wife says no way.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Sorry about your cat Sam. I've had to make that trip to the vet a couple of times; pretty goddamn tough.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Mechanical Grace

Missed this somehow, WSS. I'm really sorry. My sister recently lost a cat who was NINETEEN and she still cried. Lotsa thoughts to you and yours.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Since when is a racehorse getting put down "breaking news" or a top story?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mechanical Grace

Didn't we already have this conversation? :)

Anyway, I'd say it's a biggish story. People think of these horses as athletes, and the fact that we're ultimately responsible for their health (after pushing them to the limit) makes it topical when one dies/is put down. People have been worrying about this horse's health since the injury.

Here's what I don't think was news but was reported as such: what Nancy Pelosi wore at various points last week. So much for equality. Gag me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Who's she then?

Blue: depends on the racehorse. If it was Red Rum or Shergar, oh yes.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

William Shatner and James Spader make an odd couple. It is the best relationship on network TV.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

The World Bank President, Paul Wolfowitz entering a mosque in Turkey.
:shock: :)
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

That is so funny IP! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Fantastic!

They said a holy mosque, not holey socks :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?