Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

If MSI have bought into West Ham, they have plenty of cash.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Yeah, but it's not just about having the cash. Jol could easily afford Baptista but he went to Arsenal. Doesn't take a genius to figure out why.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

You gotta start somewhere. Most Chelsea supporters didn't think they's ever see Gullit, Vialli and Zola at SB. Maybe with the Olympics coming to London and East London getting revitalized as a result (at least that's what I've heard), MSI sees this as a club with real potential, much as Lerner does at Villa. More money in the PL means better players at these clubs and probably more competition for the top places, which I would think people would welcome, after all the bleating about Chelsea making it boring for everyone.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Pompey are very active today, too : Andy Cole, Rodolph Douala from Sporting Lisbon, and probably best buy from them all - a talented young player from Croatia, Niko Kranjcar.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole wrote:and probably best buy from them all - a talented young player from Croatia, Niko Kranjcar.
I'd prefer to see his father in the PL. He was Croatia's manager during the recent World Cup and was quite animated on the touchline. Maybe he can take over for Fergie when ManU experience their inevitable nosedive. :) :)

*looks around to make sure Otis is still away*
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Bugger that! 9 points and running away with it! So good we don't even need a new striker. All well, but no-one get injured. Amazing W Ham deal, but great stuff. Like a reward for all the talent theyt've unleashed on the Prem in the last decade. Bad news for Real-Cokehead, though, if Mascherano is a better version thereof. Tevez should have come to MU, but I won't complain. RSI still own them, though, so it's not a straight sale, it's murkier and stranger.

Looks like we'll need to win the Prem again to secure the likes of Torres, Hargreaves or whoever.

Giggsy!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

So Chels get Cole - reportedly for £5m plus Gallas - good deal for them, they get rid of player who would otherwise have gone for nothing next summer and get the worlds best left back. Glad Arse got Gallas though, we were getting a bit short of Frenchies, and I have aleays rated him, we were suppossed to sign him before Roman through his hat in. Cole and Reyes both made their positions at Arse untenable so I'm glad they've both gone, a shame though co they're both great players. It'll be interesting to see if Baptista can flourish in the prem.

The wh/msi thing is dodgy indeed, but good luck to them.

What if Saha gets injured?
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

So Lack - and you must be upset at losing Cygan :lol:

Don't MSI "own" the players? They may not have had much of a choice as to where they ended up. There's something not quite right about this although it's probably legal (on a technicality). Good luck to West Ham though. I wonder what their Fantasy Football prices will be...

And we all ought to thank good old Jose Mourinho for rescuing Ashley Cole from his slavery hell :roll:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I f**king really dislike Ashley Cole :x
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Interesting extract from the bbc website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 305724.stm

"The essential contradiction of South American football in this globalised world, is that it runs at a financial loss but produces some of the most marketable commodities: the best players.

"So investment consortia take advantage of the financial weakness of the clubs to secure the rights to sell the players - which is where the money is.

"MSI - who also own a stake in Corinthians - bought Tevez's registration for $20m (£10.5m). South American football just doesn't generate the sort of money that makes that investment worthwhile.

"So where's the return on the investment? From selling the players to European football.

"And where can you get the biggest transfer fees? In a deal between two English clubs - so sell-on clauses are negotiated and money is made that way."

"It seems that MSI still own these players and I would be absolutely astonished if that wasn't the case."

"There was a very interesting quote from a West Ham spokesman. He said: 'There is no way West Ham would act as a feeder club for others. These are exciting signings for us but if we were offered major fees for the players in the future we would have to consider it - just as we would with other players.'

"Reading between the lines, West Ham seem to be confessing that Upton Park is somewhere these players can play for a season, hopefully show their worth and then move on to a Champions League club.

"Kia Joorabchian said that when Tevez joined Corinthians there was speculation from the second day about when the player would move on.

"At West Ham, the talk on the first day he signed was already about when he would leave."
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BWAP takes up supporting Fulham and immediately the Yanks start banging in the goals for them. Coincidence? Hmmm...

Not the best performance from us, but 3 points in the bag. I'll take it. Should have been up 4-0 at half time.

Pompey starting off well and Liverpool and Arse floundering a bit. Nice volleyball goalkeeping by Reina for that third Everton goal. :lol: :lol:
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

:)

Yes - nice comeback for our boys today up in Newcastle.

Somehow I had the insight to pick up parker this week - when they give up a goal it takes the sting out a little when it's one of your fantasy guys.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

"Tottenham are considering an audacious bid to buy the new Wembley Stadium and lease it back to the Football Association - if the impasse between developer Multiplex and the FA leaves the latter in financial difficulty". (The Guardian)

yeah...great idea 8) ....but can't see it happening!
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

Jackson Monk wrote:I f**king really dislike Ashley Cole :x
I agree. The Times has been serialising the book this week and Martin Samuels really ripped into Cole. Even the match report for the Hamburg game took the mick out of poor Ashley saying how Arsenal needed his wisdom.

I really want to read this book because the extracts from it are so funny. I will get it out from the library although I feel I should buy it to help Ashley's financial loss. He has really suffered.

I think Ashley's is right in inferring that none of this is his fault. :roll:

Ashley Cole - redefining the word wan*er.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well, we lost one wanker and got another. Fair exchange I suppose. At least Cashley never threatened to score an own goal like Gaul-arse did.
verbal gymnastics

I don't believe that whole scoring an own goal thing. It was an extraordinary statement to put out and totally unnecessary. A lot of people think Chelsea lack class off the pitch. Things like the Cashley Arsehole affair and the alleged own goal statement add fuel to the fire.

If I'm wrong about Ashley then it certainly was an amazing coincidence that Jose Mourinho and Peter Kenyon just happened to be in the same hotel outside the meeting room door as Cashley and Jonathan Barnett were having a general chat about make up, knitting patterns and how to make the perfect souffle.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I don't believe that whole scoring an own goal thing. It was an extraordinary statement to put out and totally unnecessary. A lot of people think Chelsea lack class off the pitch. Things like the Cashley Arsehole affair and the alleged own goal statement add fuel to the fire.
If it's so egregious, then why is Gallas not taking legal action? Maybe because he knows he did it? Why would they make something like this up?
verbal gymnastics

My understanding was that it is with his lawyers.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:My understanding was that it is with his lawyers.
I won't hold my breath. Sorry - I think he's almost as bad as Cole. Didn't even bother showing up for pre-season training and had no excuse. Hardly an angel.
verbal gymnastics

Fair enough on the disagreement front. Next time you come over I'll whoop your Yankee ass*

*by whoop your Yankee ass I mean I'll buy you a drink or few.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm just so sick of the whole saga. I didn't want to see Gallas leave and I can't really figure out what the fuss was all about, becuase he was offered a massive contract and turned it down. I'll put it all down to him being French and Mourinho being a bit of a prick. Cole seems like a dickwad, but I guess he's our dickwad now, so I hope he plays well.

And I'll gladly take you up on your beverage offer next time we get together - and offer to return the favor if/when you visit New York.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The thing about the 'own goal' revelation is that Chelscum went public with it (whether true or not). They are forever trying to unsettle opponents with scurrilous press releases. It is one of the things that has made them so unpopular (with me at least). I hope Gallas doesn't sue (this is the UK, not USueAlot) as this sort of behaviour is best ignored. One of Wengers (few) mistakes has been to be openly riled by Josies wind ups. Ignore the fucker and hopefully he will go away.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yeah, whatever. You're welcome to him. How long until he starts moaning about playing left back?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I despise Arse and Manure, but i really hate the way Chelski have distorted the transfer market and made the title a bit of a procession.

There is something a little 'not cricket' about a club that can buy somebody just to prevent them from playing for a rival. That is plain wrong. Chelsea simply don't deserve to be treated as a member of the premiership. They reek of bollocks.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Mourinho being a bit of a prick. Cole seems like a dickwad, but I guess he's our dickwad now, so I hope he plays well.
This is the kind of talk I like from you, WSS. Keep it coming. Gallas is my hero of the season for the beautiful promise of scoring Chelsea own goals.

I've spent three days this week down in the Cobham area, Surrey. been making videos involving teenagers - educational videos, smutbrains - and everyone there is obsessed by Chelsea just cos they see Terry unwashed and unkempt strolling down Esher high street and all the rest of it. It's an obscenely rich area, had me pining for the People's Republic of Cambridge, and apparently since Chelsea moved their training grounds out there, a bunch of them, e.g. Lampard and Cole have their cribs in the 'hood. It really is footballer territory. I walked along a 'no through road' area by a golf course, and got near some exclusive off-road properties. Apparently 20% of the houses now worth x million pounds and over are owned by footballers. (Can't remember the x, but that's irrelevant, it just means 'super-expensive'.) I enjoyed winding them up with my refs to the Red Devils.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more