Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:I despise Arse and Manure, but i really hate the way Chelski have distorted the transfer market and made the title a bit of a procession.
What's made it a title procession is clubs like Tottenham, Liverpool and (so far this season) Arsenal dropping points they shouldn't and failing to grind out results when they have needed to. The last time I checked, we were not at the top of the table and even Pompey were above us. There's still a long way to go, but it's nice to see that you've already given up. You usually manage to make it to Christmas.
then Otis Westinghouse wrote:I've spent three days this week down in the Cobham area, Surrey. been making videos involving teenagers - educational videos, smutbrains - and everyone there is obsessed by Chelsea just cos they see Terry unwashed and unkempt strolling down Esher high street and all the rest of it. It's an obscenely rich area, had me pining for the People's Republic of Cambridge, and apparently since Chelsea moved their training grounds out there, a bunch of them, e.g. Lampard and Cole have their cribs in the 'hood.
I know. It's terrible. I'm sure all of ManU players live in council flats and drive Peugeots. There was no money in football before we came along and ruined it for everyone. :roll:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol: :lol:

The 'bandwagon' football fan clearly existed long before Roman's millions......I seem to recall a major rise in the membership of the Basildon branch of the Man Utd Fan Club during the 90s.

I would hazard a guess that many of the my Dublin friends who 'supported' Notts Forest in 1979 are wearing their Chelski blue with pride now!
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I know. It's terrible. I'm sure all of ManU players live in council flats and drive Peugeots. There was no money in football before we came along and ruined it for everyone. :roll:
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/04/18/ ... homes.html

'Gold Trafford' is probably as bad, though I imagine that being the north, things are a little more 'real' up there, not so much for the footballers in their own stratosphere, but for the Desperate Housewives types all around. The air is heavy with the oppression of keeping up with one another, and the guilt and darkness emerging from the addictive outlets needed to escape from all the pressure.

Great article on the topic. 'Gin-n-Jag' indeed! Or rather 'Gin-n-Jag-n-4x4'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/mai ... pcob14.xml
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

apples to oranges, but an interesting perspective.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sp ... aries.html
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:I would hazard a guess that many of the my Dublin friends who 'supported' Notts Forest in 1979 are wearing their Chelski blue with pride now!
I don't imagine there are a lot of Chelsea in Ireland - mostly Man U and Liverpool. Roddy Doyle is the only Irish Chelsea supporter I know of.
Some of those are fairly modest compared to the palaces professional athletes own here.
then mood swung wrote:apples to oranges, but an interesting perspective.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sp ... aries.html
...and they'd like to keep it that way. Free Clint Dempsey!!
Otis Westinghouse

Sol's doesn't look much in that pic. I've seen Henry's on telly and it's well cool.

I confess a ghastly guilty fascinaation for the gory details as unveiled in Cribs. Harry Kewell proudly showing the something like 10k pounds stone bath he had imported from Australia, the endless kitchens that they confess to never cooking in, etc. TVs everywhere, every indulgence you can imagine. I sometimes feel a sense of gratitude that I've never had as much cash as I would need to not feel guilty going out and buying whatever, it's always a bit of a worry and a struggle, etc. Makes it taste sweeter when you get it. Life must feel very empty if you're a footballer and it's over suddenly and you ain't got much lined up to do other than sit in your pile.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yes!!!

Great win, with us down to ten men for more than half an hour. What an incredible piece of skill from Drogba!

Now for a nasty draw at Old Trafford with lots of red cards and plenty of pizza being thrown around. :) :)
Otis Westinghouse

If only! Sick bag, please. He must have his reasons, but heaven only knows what they are: £18m of Carrick on the bench, Fletcher and O'Shea starting, Rio and Mikael effing up. Oh God it depresses me. Alex Fergusven! Well the good start had to end, just a shame it was at home (first home loss in aaaages, since Blackburn last season), and to that lot, who clearly outplayed us.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Thanks for the points, Arse needed them more than Manure and it showed. Strange when you leave your biggest signing out of the starting line up for the biggest game of the season so far, especially as Giggs was injured.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:If only! Sick bag, please. He must have his reasons, but heaven only knows what they are: £18m of Carrick on the bench, Fletcher and O'Shea starting, Rio and Mikael effing up. Oh God it depresses me. Alex Fergusven! Well the good start had to end, just a shame it was at home (first home loss in aaaages, since Blackburn last season), and to that lot, who clearly outplayed us.
Ha! Your brilliant start down the drain the first time you face decent opposition.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:If only! Sick bag, please. He must have his reasons, but heaven only knows what they are: £18m of Carrick on the bench, Fletcher and O'Shea starting, Rio and Mikael effing up. Oh God it depresses me. Alex Fergusven! Well the good start had to end, just a shame it was at home (first home loss in aaaages, since Blackburn last season), and to that lot, who clearly outplayed us.
Ha! Your brilliant start down the drain the first time you face decent opposition.
A bit harsh!

Spurs threw away a draw there as well. I think this Utd side have been over-hyped like only the press can do. I mean the league is 2 mins old and suddenly Fergie is BACK!!!

The media did it with Liverpool for a week or two and now Rafa is "under pressure". It's all ballacks, cos Chelsea will win in a canter and Utd, Arse and Liverpool are playing for distant runners-up.............yawn. :roll:
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

If I were a Spurs supporter I'd be bored to death too. Poor Bill Simmons - he sure chose the wrong club. They're going to turn him off football for good!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I wasn't actually referring to the Chelski style of play. Just the procession that the league has turned into.........mind you for a man who has the loosest purse strings in the world, Jose sure has bored everyone into submission in the past.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

so lacklustre wrote:Thanks for the points, Arse needed them more than Manure and it showed. Strange when you leave your biggest signing out of the starting line up for the biggest game of the season so far, especially as Giggs was injured.
Strange is too kind. 'Idiotic' more like. Darren Fletcher! Love child he must be. Time would have been ripe for Martin O'Neill to step in, really.
charliestumpy

Chelsea - I will never go again/have often been there ...

Post by charliestumpy »

IMO after ultimately shit WC June-July this year the footie is fine/interesting - to me it looks as if MUT-Arse etc will prove you wrong and win rather than my poorly-playing/overspending Chelski.

Despite a goal or two including swift penalty in ITV4 win at last for Chels, I think that one or two elderly overpriced pensioners might finally come May 2007 show disbelievers that dosh does NOT buy all ...

Play up Pompey/Reading etc ...

I shall study with interest the happenings in Sony-Ford-lager etc non-Champions' League to see if this season again it is blatantly 'fixed' ...

a) Are things really better in High-Definition wide screen?
b) Will 'Spooks' look at 'Corporations' rather than 'political parties' ...
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Sam, they really are building it. But, dammit, couldn't they find some young, shirtless players for the photo op?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Nice. 'Bout time.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well, another three points. Not playing brilliantly, but we're still top of the table having gotten nothing from Ballack or Sheva.

I think BWAP was there. Tough first game as a full-fledged Fulham supporter.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well, another three points. Not playing brilliantly, but we're still top of the table having gotten nothing from Ballack or Sheva. Will be dropping Sheva ASAP, and I got nothing from Terry - did not play and I'd named him as captain! :x

Otis Westinghouse

Well there's no need to gloat twice. And I have to face the humiliaton of seeing you when the Mighty's shortlived domination of proceedings has already ground to a halt! At least we got one more point than last sodding week! Still behind Portsmouth! MOTD pundits reckoned Sheva will come good soon. Maybe, but not sure I can bear to wait. And sodding Lampard and Henry both stacking up the points today. None of my players scored or assisted, despite all of them being on winning teams, and two of them were booked, inc cap'n Cesc. Bollox! Still, I have to offload effing Crouch before Sheva. And Macarthy, I suspect.

I normally enjoy seeing Man C lose, but today my Man City adoring Mancunian (as he endlessly reminds me!) chum both became a dad and saw his team deliver, with the help of Beanie, his daughter's soft toy (Shearer was astonished that the Psycho he once played against is so softened himself). Two crackers by Samaras, especially that perfect volley.

Some great long range stuff of late. Xabi's against Newcastle was further out than Beckham's legendary one against Wimbleydon (can be found on myspace, etc.), and then Riise today.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Well there's no need to gloat twice. And I have to face the humiliaton of seeing you when the Mighty's shortlived domination of proceedings has already ground to a halt!
Hmm, didn't mean to post twice. Strange. I promise I'll be on my best behavior on Friday! If we lose in Sofia on Wednesday I trust you won't mention it.

No word from the Spurs supporters?
Otis Westinghouse

The suckers! Not 'LOL' but 'JOL'!!!

Here's praying for a torrent of goals against you in Sofia. As if! And you'll be able to rib me over a shite performance against sodding Benufcka. God I hate footie sometimes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

It's been a pretty shitty start to the season. Not a lot of great football being played. Maybe a bit of World Cup hangover effect?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Well, another three points. Not playing brilliantly, but we're still top of the table having gotten nothing from Ballack or Sheva. Will be dropping Sheva ASAP, and I got nothing from Terry - did not play and I'd named him as captain! :x

Nice weather anyway. The place was crawling with Chelsea supporters, fortunately we found a pub that wasn't letting any of them in.

Of course I just couldn't leave well enough alone and changed my captain from Lampard to Rooney.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

My absence was down to being unable to connect to the site for some strange reason :?

Whilst I wouldn't claim that Spurs are playing especially well, we didn't deserve our defeats at Liverpool or Man Utd. We certainly shouldn't have lost 3-0! Jenas, King and Defoe all should have scored before Liverpool did and we paid the price. Spurs can't buy a goal at the moment and the sooner Berbatov is back the better. Not sure what is up with Robbie Keane - well out of sorts. We have too many good players for this to carry on for long, but if things don't change soon, we'll have to win the UEFA Cup to get back into Europe next season. :cry:
Last edited by Jackson Monk on Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
corruptio optimi pessima