Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Killer goal from Barça. Ronaldinho at his sublime, brilliant best, controlling a ball like no other, and so perfectly setting it up for Eidur. Clap your ex-player Chelseafans! I then fell completely asleep, despite my best intentions, and woke after the game to be informed by my son of the horrible news that Drogba had scored an equaliser. Bugger them and bugger Jose! Second half was very good (the bit I was awake for, at least). First half was mostly awful. Drogba guilty of some truly wretched diving and shit-stirring. Good goal, though. Typically infantile interview with Jose afterwards. 'Frank is a very lucky man' and all that crap.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Killer goal from Barça. Ronaldinho at his sublime, brilliant best, controlling a ball like no other, and so perfectly setting it up for Eidur. Clap your ex-player Chelseafans! I then fell completely asleep, despite my best intentions, and woke after the game to be informed by my son of the horrible news that Drogba had scored an equaliser. Bugger them and bugger Jose! Second half was very good (the bit I was awake for, at least). First half was mostly awful. Drogba guilty of some truly wretched diving and shit-stirring. Good goal, though. Typically infantile interview with Jose afterwards. 'Frank is a very lucky man' and all that crap.
Yeah, Drogs was the only one diving. :roll: That little shit Messi takes the cake. I loved it when Terry rifled the ball at Deco while he was flopping around on the ground, and Deco stood up immediately, having somehow miraculously recovered. Worth the yellow card.

I'm glad Chels gave you a rude awakening. Now hopefully Werder Bremen can send those overrated show ponies packing from the CL. I'm sick to death of the UEFA darlings and their constant media hype.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It was a great game. Was it a genuine effort by Lampard though? Clive Allen said he could see Frank looking up to see where the keeper was before he chipped. I can't say I share this view. I think it was fortuitous. And how many times in a hundred would it have gone in?

Great piece of skill by Ronaldinho to set up Barca's second goal although the defending was naive.
Who Shot Sam? wrote:I loved it when Terry rifled the ball at Deco while he was flopping around on the ground, and Deco stood up immediately, having somehow miraculously recovered.
Never underestimate the healing powers of football. :lol:

Perhaps UEFA could put this into the laws of the game as it would save a lot of time stretchering people off only to have them come straight back on. Each team can have a dedicated player who would kick the ball at their own player in an attempt to heal their injury.

Unless of course, John Terry really is God :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:It was a great game. Was it a genuine effort by Lampard though? Clive Allen said he could see Frank looking up to see where the keeper was before he chipped. I can't say I share this view. I think it was fortuitous. And how many times in a hundred would it have gone in?
I think he meant it. But then of course I would. Nice goal in any case.

And I don't see many people talking about what a waste of money Drogba was any more - or Essien for that matter.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Superb clip from YouTube - I love Eto'o's reaction at the end. I think he's the one you can hear saying "Puta!" and throwing down his headphones after Drogs scores (must have been Otis' reaction when he woke up).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwtyj41aI2U

...and another masterclass from Arse and ManU. That's the kind of football we want to see.
Otis Westinghouse

Arse missing eay goals galore, and MU losing to effing Copenahgen! What a night! And Celtic hammered by Benf!

Great Eto'o clip. Agree about the 'puta' bit. And with them when they respond to Mourinho's grass on suit moment: 'Sobra' = 'He's gone too far'.

Drogba was by far the worst exponent in the shameless diving stakes in a spell which exemplified all that's worst about CL footie on a bad night, followd by a second half that showed all that's great. Messi is a brilliantly talented player, I love him. Drog is having a great season after a v good World Cup. Solid player, just needs to grow up. Like JM. As they said, if Ronaldinho had scored that FL goal, they'd have said it was intentional. Who cares? It was a brilliant moment. 4 great goals. Essien is great, but often too dirty. Should have gone to MU and learned some discipline.
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

got to agree about Drogba. So tiresome. Just get on with it and play some fucking football!!

Beautiful footie from the Arse tonight....and so so funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:got to agree about Drogba. So tiresome. Just get on with it and play some fucking football!!
He did - and scored a great goal, like he's been doing a lot lately.
Jackson Monk wrote:Beautiful footie from the Arse tonight....and so so funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's so beautiful and flowing and glorious. I'm almost blinded by the brilliance. It would be a shame to see them spoil it all by actually scoring a goal.

As for Mourinho's celebration, what's wrong with a bit of passion? You Brits need to unclench your butt cheeks every now and then. How dull would it be if all managers were dour, funereal tacticians like Wenger and Rijkaard, with the personality of wet cardboard? You need someone to hate and Mourinho has answered the call - why complain?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote:Beautiful footie from the Arse tonight....and so so funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's so beautiful and flowing and glorious. I'm almost blinded by the brilliance. It would be a shame to see them spoil it all by actually scoring a goal.
:lol:

Unbelieveable to see a side play like that and still not manage to score. How KD Rosicky Lang didn't score from 6 yards out amazed me the most but there were some close contenders. Van Persie was the guiltiest culprit I think.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:KD Rosicky Lang
:lol: :lol:
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Excitment abounds here in the Beanz household.......

Spurs ponder Beckham bid
5.00, Sun Oct 29 2006

Tottenham manager Martin Jol has admitted he may consider making a bid for David Beckham.

The former England captain's current contract with Real Madrid expires at the end of the season.

All parties have said they hope a deal can be reached to keep Beckham in the Spanish capital but speculation remains that he could return to England when the transfer window opens on New Year's Day.

Jol said: "I'll sit down and have a think about it. We are well covered on the flanks already. It's a difficult one.

Difficult my arse - SIGN HIM!!! - be still my beating heart!!!!!! :shock: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Yeah, just what we need....an expensive ageing prima donna has-been clothes horse in amongst all our ripening exciting young talent :roll: :roll: Thankfully it's a load of tosh. He'd need to do more than flutter the hearts of ladies to win over the crowd at WHL!

Great Spurs performance tonight and Berbatov was awesome. One booking all night and no play-acting, rolling around, pretending to be shot or kissing of the shirt crap. Real football.....oh yes.

Mr Jol is the coolest coach on earth.
Last edited by Jackson Monk on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote:got to agree about Drogba. So tiresome. Just get on with it and play some fucking football!!
He did - and scored a great goal, like he's been doing a lot lately.
Which is my point. His am-dram bullshit is just so unnecessary. He has talent and is a real handful. How can you not be totally embarrassed with him in your side? Zokora has done it once at Spurs and I was mortified. Drogba does it several times per match! Its just pure bollocks and its ruining a beautiful game. He's not the only cuplrit I know, but he sure is one of the worst. It is so obvious that Mourinho is encouraging him to do it as well. Sad....very sad.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

What do you want me to say? I'm a Chelsea fan - he's a Chelsea player. I could do without some of the histrionics, but he's by no means the only guilty party and he scores a lot of great goals. I'm not gonna get on the bandwagon and start bashing everything Chelsea like the rest of you just 'cause it's fashionable. The level of vitriol directed at the club has reached ludicrous proportions. It's laughable.

That was an excellent, riveting football match on Tuesday. I talked today with a Chelsea supporter who had returned from Spain, where the papers were full of praise for the match, only to find the English press proclaiming it the death of football.
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I talked today with a Chelsea supporter who had returned from Spain, where the papers were full of praise for the match, only to find the English press proclaiming it the death of football.
Where did they say that? Not that I've even seen a paper this week. But we all appreciated the quality of the second half. Most of the first half was shite, CL at its worst, with, as I and JM have said, Drog as guiltiest party. the second half showed up the ludicrousness of the first.

It was the Spaniard who observed 'Sobra', not me! I just agreed. He did sobrar, he responded as if they'd won the fucking tournament. He's such a gobshite.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Read Rob Smythe in the Guardian, or that Irish tosser Barry Glendenning (does the guy even like football?).

Nothing wrong with Mourinho's celebration IMO. It was a big match against a bitter rival. You should see some of the things coaches and managers here in the States get up to.

Here's a link to that Smythe piece. Sheer idiocy. The best part is the "stupidly allowed themselves to be dragged down to Chelsea's level" bit.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/ ... s_men.html
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Otis Westinghouse

And he put grass stains on his nice suit.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

JACKSON: Re: your Beckham post - bollocks! The youngesters could learn a lot from him.

Re: The game last night - awesome! We played really well and looked fully in control - I predicted a 3-1 win. Berbatov outstanding - and isn't Ghaly coming on a treat for a mere boy! Jenas didnt look too sharp and should have scored a few, and im not sure I like Lennon on this wing - he doesnt look as comfotable, but I guess Jol is trying not to make him too predictable....

The ref was a wanker - all that masturbating obviously made him go blind. I counted at least 6 hand balls by Brugge and we were only awarded a free kick for one! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:And he put grass stains on his nice suit.
I like what Ian Holloway, the Plymouth manager, had to say about it...

"He's ruined his strides! What's he doing to that lovely suit, diving on his knees? What is he doing?! Those grass stains will never come off!

I bet that cost a few quid, that suit. And he ruined his shoes as well! He scuffed up the front of them.

I have to say I was jealous - not with Chelsea being top of the group, but that he can still do that at his age. If I tried to do that my knees would snap in half!

I was very envious Jose was that mobile. I wouldn't dare try anything like that because I wouldn't be able to walk for a week. I think that celebration was more relief than anything else. It was great to watch. I love to see that sort of emotion."
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I agree with Gilliwilliwoo on the Beckham front. I think it would be brilliant if our David signed for Tottingham.
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I have to say I was jealous - not with Chelsea being top of the group, but that he can still do that at his age. If I tried to do that my knees would snap in half!
I'm not quite that far down the line, but I did think it might hurt a bit. I reckon he's just a big fan of the Boss and has been looking for an excuse to emulate.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:I have to say I was jealous - not with Chelsea being top of the group, but that he can still do that at his age. If I tried to do that my knees would snap in half!
I'm not quite that far down the line, but I did think it might hurt a bit. I reckon he's just a big fan of the Boss and has been looking for an excuse to emulate.
The Boss has a big-ass sponge that he wets the knees of his jeans down with so that he can slide across the stage more easily.
Otis Westinghouse

All hail Fergie. 20 years of genius and achievement.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Oldham won again! 2-1 against Cheltenham! 7th in League One now. I'm not sure I can take another season of us almost sneaking up through the playoffs, but not quite managing it. Maybe this year will be our year.............
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wenger showing everyone how to behave with class and dignity. Take heed Jose.

...and wild celebrations in the Jackson Monk and Gillibeanz households for managing to win a game against Chelsea in the league for the first time in 16 years. It took a ridiculous sending off and a big helping hand from a certain Mr. Poll but you finally managed it. Should make for a very interesting title race this season.