top 5 tracks by dylan

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Anyone know if additional Dylan SACD reissues are in the works?

There are several I would snap up immediately: Bob Dylan, World Gone Wrong, The Times They Are A-Changin', New Morning, Basement Tapes.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

And do you think Bob himself gives a poo about these releases?

I'm pretty sure it's that idiot Jeff Rosen's scheme to release them like this. Now that the first batch is cheaper, the next few might be coming out, etc. Then, when all the diehards have bought them again at full price, I'm sure they'll be rereleased with bonus tracks and lyrics. (Probably something like five already available bonus tracks and one or two unreleased per CD.)

The next live bootleg series will be from the Christian period, and should be mindblowing. But what do you think will be released next - Really early stuff? Latest tour? I'm hoping for a 3CD box comp from the "Neverending Tour" myself. (Hope it's not the Isle of Wight gig.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

King Hoarse wrote:And do you think Bob himself gives a poo about these releases?

I'm pretty sure it's that idiot Jeff Rosen's scheme to release them like this. Now that the first batch is cheaper, the next few might be coming out, etc. Then, when all the diehards have bought them again at full price, I'm sure they'll be rereleased with bonus tracks and lyrics. (Probably something like five already available bonus tracks and one or two unreleased per CD.)

The next live bootleg series will be from the Christian period, and should be mindblowing. But what do you think will be released next - Really early stuff? Latest tour? I'm hoping for a 3CD box comp from the "Neverending Tour" myself. (Hope it's not the Isle of Wight gig.)
I have mixed feelings about wading into Bob's Christian period. I've been tempted to give Slow Train Coming a chance, but as an agnostic, I get the feeling that I might find some of it hard to swallow. On the other hand, I've never had any problem digesting Johnny Cash's more religious material, or Ralph Stanley or even some of Bob's other spiritual music. Not to mention Ron Sexsmith and guys like T-Bone Burnett who are fairly open about their faith.

I'm not so concerned about getting bonus tracks, to be honest, partly because a lot of it has already been released elsewhere and partly because I get the feeling that there may be less interesting stuff in Bob's vault than there has been with EC (I could be wrong about that). To me, the sonic improvements are more important. That's why I've been holding off on John Wesley Harding, because it sounds like they botched it.

That being said, it is true that Columbia has been amazingly negelectful of the incredible back catalogue they possess. At least Dylan fans are getting the SACDs. Springsteen fans still have to put up with criminally muddy, sub-standard CDs of classics like Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

The latest rumors from rec.music.dylan (posted by some of the more reputable names) suggest that August 16, 2005 is the release date for
"the next Bootleg Series release, a 2-CD collection of live and studio
tracks from 1961-1966" to tie in with the Scorsese documentary. There are also reports of an upcoming release through the Starbucks coffee chain of a Gaslight Tapes CD. Some UK retailers have put hybrid SACD/CDs of of the "Bob Dylan" and "Times Changin'" albums.

I'd love a decent Bootleg Series of the gospel shows, since I only know from reading that there was some great music there, and songs available nowhere else (legally anyway). And of course, if he has songs as good as those on TOOM and Love And Theft, a new album would be nice too.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

wardo68 wrote:The latest rumors from rec.music.dylan (posted by some of the more reputable names) suggest that August 16, 2005 is the release date for
"the next Bootleg Series release, a 2-CD collection of live and studio
tracks from 1961-1966" to tie in with the Scorsese documentary. There are also reports of an upcoming release through the Starbucks coffee chain of a Gaslight Tapes CD. Some UK retailers have put hybrid SACD/CDs of of the "Bob Dylan" and "Times Changin'" albums.
That's great news, if true. Whatever happened to the great forum at bobdylan.com? Seems to have gone the way of the old EC forum.

P.S. Thanks for the heads up on the newsgroup. This was posted today by "Alan":

I've checked the composition of three new remastered box sets called
"The Collection" on the Sony Music web-site to be released on 5 Apr
2005, and they are as follows:

Columbia/Legacy C3K 93973 (USA) - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, The
Times They Are A-Changin' and Another Side Of Bob Dylan. The Times
They Are A-Changin' must be a new remastered release, probably the CD
layer of the hybrid SACD release above.

Columbia/Legacy C3K 93991 (USA) - Blonde On Blonde, Blood On The
Tracks and Infidels. All three already released as remastered
editions.

Columbia/Legacy C3K 93992 (USA) - John Wesley Harding, Nashville
Skyline and New Morning. New Morning must be a new remastered release not mentioned above.

So new versions of New Morning and The Times They Are A-Changin' sound like they are probably on the way. :D
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the newsgroup. This was posted today by "Alan"...New Morning must be a new remastered release not mentioned above.
My pleasure. I found that thread via expectingrain.com, which does a great job of heads-up-ing on news like this. The newsgroup gets a little heavy with all kinds of tangential threads, and it can take a while to find the real scoops.

I think the Alan here is Alan Fraser, who runs the searchingforagem.com Dylan rarities site, so if he's heard it there's more than a chance it can be substantiated.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Life must be hard if you're an obsessive Dylan completist. I'm sure it's been asked before, but is there any difference in quality between a SACD disc played on non-SACD gear and a well-remastered normal CD? I'm assuming not. How many of you are into SACD? Is it worth it? Do ordinary CDs sound any different on SACD players?

Bit depressed to go to the top of this thread and find that since July 2003 all I've got my hands on was Bringing It All Back Home, as per Bamboo's rec!, and Planet Waves (which I know ain't one of the most essential, but I had to have Forever Young [see funeral music thread!]), but also the mighty '66 Bootleg CD. Am gonna be changing this very soon.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more