The Music of "The Office"

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Actually, why don't we do our own EC fans' Rhyming Slang? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Verb...you're totally 'Oliver's'...that's a great idea!

Oliver's Army...Barmy!

Start a new thread boyo!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

crow, is your avatar of Christopher Guest?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

BlueChair wrote:crow, is your avatar of Christopher Guest?
Looks to me like Bill Oddie from the Goodies (or is it Graeme Garden... always get them mixed up).
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

He's your hero ain't he LC?

bobster - I forgot to ask if Six Feet Under is popular in its motherland? Just that it's very rarely mentioned in the same breath as say the Sopranos when people talk about great US programmes, yet I think it's the absolute nuts. What do you USofA type folks make of it?

Looking forward to Angels in America on Saturday.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah, it's the one and only Bill Oddie in his Goody days! To any uninformed as to the whoabouts ( :? ) of the Goodies, they were kind of like a kids version of Monty Python.

http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/tv/comedy/goodies.htm

Bill Oddie went on to become a wildlife presenter and all-round birdwatching lord of the UK!

Little known fact about Oddie...he was a backing singer for Rick Wakeman's prog outfit Yes!

http://www.billoddie.net/
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Another fact about Bill Oddie:
During The Goodies brief Pop career 'twas the Billmeister wot wrote most of their songs (Black Pudding Bertha, Funky Gibbon etc). However, their finest moment was the gloriously daft version of Wild Thing (e.g. "I think you move me, well not quite that much") - B side of Nappy Love I believe.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

''Hold me tight....not that tight!''

I found a Goodies CD a few years back..c'est genius!

GOODY GOODY YUM YUM!!!!!!!!!! :D
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The Goodies were good stuff to talk about the next day at school. Graeme was the tall one who was kind of their leader, and the wimpy blonde one was Tim. Bill's ideas were always getting them into trouble I recall. LC, can you remember how their theme song went? ...the one that came on while they were riding that tandem bike, and ended with 'goody goody yum yum' (I remember the melody).
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Here's the song (among some other Goodies/Bill info):

http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kunoic ... odies.html
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:I forgot to ask if Six Feet Under is popular in its motherland? Just that it's very rarely mentioned in the same breath as say the Sopranos when people talk about great US programmes, yet I think it's the absolute nuts. What do you USofA type folks make of it?

I love Six Feet Under, its one of my favorite shows. Funny and dark and brilliant. It was created by the same guy who I think wrote and produced American Beauty, so I wasnt too surprised that I liked it.

The first episode is probably still my favorite, with the gap-esque "dancing khakis" commercials for coffins and the like. Great stuff.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I was never a big Goodies fan (except I really did like the one where they were hunting Rolf Harrises)... However, I was a big fan of Tim Brooke-Taylor in his pre-Goodies days with the Frost Report and the 1948 Show.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

TBT and GG are presenting a daytime quiz show at the moment called Beat the Nation on Channel 4, just befoe Countdown (and at 9am too).

It's bally good!
bobster

Post by bobster »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:He's your hero ain't he LC?

bobster - I forgot to ask if Six Feet Under is popular in its motherland? Just that it's very rarely mentioned in the same breath as say the Sopranos when people talk about great US programmes, yet I think it's the absolute nuts. What do you USofA type folks make of it?

Looking forward to Angels in America on Saturday.
Actually, "Six Feet Under" is VERY successful here, in an upscale, middle-to-highbrow sort of a way. I'd say it's just a small notch down in terms of public awareness from "The Sopranos," which -- because of those wonderful genre elements -- was a bit more of a mass culture sensation.

Since it's on pay cable, of course, not nearly as many people see it as, say, a typical episode of Law & Order -- Irritatating Victims Unit, but it's very well regarded and has lots of devoted fans. It also gets lots of Emmy nominations. Actually, in some circles, I think it actually gets more respect than "American Beauty", the movie which started it all for creator Alan Ball.

Personally, I've only seen one episode, which I liked, but not enough (so far) to rent the DVDs. It's a bit sort of dour/conventional/non-genre for my personal tastes. Alan Ball is a very talented, very facile writer. Although I think he did a good job on "American Beauty", to me it was Sam Mendes who really made that movie sing. And there are those who think "American Beauty"'s script is not much better than "very special" sitcom episode. Not me, though. Still, I guess I have vaguely mixed feelings.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
bobster

Post by bobster »

Tim(e) wrote:I was never a big Goodies fan (except I really did like the one where they were hunting Rolf Harrises)... However, I was a big fan of Tim Brooke-Taylor in his pre-Goodies days with the Frost Report and the 1948 Show.
Believe it or not, I THINK the Goodies actually made it here to the States at some point, probably very briefly. Anyhow, the name is familiar to me and I think I must have watched a show...but I can't be sure. Seems to me it was probably before Python broke out here. (They didn't really hit here until about the release of "The Holy Grail" and even then it was a cult thing.)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Believe it or not, Bill Oddie has featured on an album with EC on!!!!!!!!!!

Elvis Costello - The End Of The Rainbow feature on the same 'It's a live-in world' album as John Cleese / Bill Oddie / Ringo Starr - Naughty Atom Bomb! Oh yes!

Six Feet Under is a breath of fresh air for black comedy and drama! What I really like about the show are the characters, and the way their non-mainstream (e.g. gay, over 50) relationships are portayed rather than sticking to the usual 'aryan' view of the 20th century Paolo and Francesca!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Just wanted to revive this thread as I watched the first 6 shows and am droolingly awaiting the next disc from Netflix. I laughed my ass off, in an appropriately horrified manner...

PS-- looks like I have a long time to drool. Although one of you folks told me season 2 would be out next month, Netflix doesn't list it yet.. *sniffle*
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comment/ ... 52,00.html
-· If big Gordon is ever to get the top job in politics, he could do worse than spend some time refining his people skills. Entering a Downing Street reception for the movers and shakers behind Comic Relief the other week, Brown spied a chap in a wheelchair and quickly bounded over for a natter, ignoring the assorted comics who included The Office 's Ricky Gervais. As the conversation flowed, it became clear that the Chancellor had no idea that he was talking to Ash Atalla, producer of The Office and one of the most important people in British comedy. 'People around them were cringeing. Gordon thought the guy was there because he was disabled,' a guest tells Pendennis. 'It was excruciating to watch.' Rather like an episode of The Office , then.