Elvis Costello round on BBCTV's 'Mastermind'

Pretty self-explanatory
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

It's from Franz Ferdinand's 'Shopping for blood'.... :D

Maybe Ill post them tommorrow for you guys, as I said I don't wanna step on pubrocks toes..but he didn't really say whether he was gonna post the original q's or not. 8)
Last edited by laughingcrow on Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The tricky question was:

What was Elvis' first album with the Attractions called? :roll:
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I would have got 8 at best, less if the nerves had got to me! (Thanks, Crow, for putting me out of my misery.) Questions about covers of his songs are not for me.

What's the Tom Thumb issue, is Hansel and Gretel the right answer? I have never heard of this score.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Tom Thum is the right answer, and to be frank Im not sure why everyone's saying the question was wrong!

Academy of St Martins in the fields
Neville Mariner
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

It sounded like, to my ears, that John Humphreys said 1970 when he asked the question, and, judging by his reaction, Eddie heard the same.
pubrock

Post by pubrock »

I can't remember what I heard on Question 2. Please go ahead and post the Qs and As as I'm having difficulty finding my Q cards. I've changed bedrooms since the show and everything is in the wrong place! Eddie
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Oh I see what you mean Martin...but Ive checked it, and what Humphries does is abbreviate the year in the question. He actually says "In July '97.."
Not standard practice for a quizmaster eh!

OK Eddie, good luck finding your gear...

For which song, co-written with T-bone Burnett, was EC nominated for an oscar in 2004? (The Scarlet Tide, correct)

In July '97, the academy of St Martins in the Fields, under the direction of Neville Mariner, performed Costello's musical score for which fairytale? (Hansel and Gretel....incorrect, Tom Thumb)

What is the opening track from Costello's 2003 album North? (You turned to me...incorrect, You left me in the dark)

Which was the first album to feature Costello's longstanding backing band, the Attractions? (This Year's Model, correct)

On which song from the soundtrack to the film Grace of my Heart, did Costello first collaborate with the songwriter Burt Bacharach? (God give me strength, correct)

Which American singer covered the Costello songs Party Girl, Girl's Talk and Talking in the dark on her 1980 album Mad Love? (Linda Ronstadt, correct)

Which pseudonym did Costello use in his guise as the narrator of his 1986 album Blood and Chocolate? (Napoleon Dynamite, correct)

The original release of which Costello single had the catalogue number FbeatXX32? (Everyday I write the book, correct)

Costello collaborated with Richard Harvey in composing the soundtrack for which 1991 channel 4 drama series? (GBH, correct)

On the album For The Stars with Anne Sofie von Otter, which Tom Waits song is coupled with the Paul McCartney song Junk? (Broken Bicycles, correct)

The tribute album 'Bespoke songs, lost dogs, detours and rendezvous: the songs of Elvis Costello' featured a cover of his song All Grown Up by which artist? (Tasmin Archer, correct)

Who wrote the song Good year for the roses, which Costello covered on his country and western-inspired album 'Almost Blue'? (Gerry Chestnut, corrct)

Which song co-written by Costello and Paul McCartney contains the lyrics 'She could be in pictures, if she wasn't all covered in fur'? (Mistress and Maid....incorrect, Pads, Paws and Claws)

Who was the co-producer of Costello's 1994 album Brutal Youth, which featured Nick Lowe on bass? (Kevin Killen....incorrect, Mitchell Froom)

Costello and Bacharach jointly won a grammy at the 41st grammy awards for which song? (I still have that other girl, correct)

Who was the main bassist on Costello's 2002 album 'When I was cruel'? (Davey Farragher, correct)

Well done Eddie...was the GBH one a shot in the dark, or did you know 1991 was they year it was produced? I didn't know the Gerry Chestnut thing...thought it was George Jones. Good call with the catalogue number as well...blimey!

Here's your wee chat to the Humphmeister....

JH: You got 12 points with Elvis Costello, who was actually Declan McManus.

ET: Declan Patrick McManus!

JH: Declan Patrick...and why did he go to Elvis Costello?

ET: The record label he was with at the time, called Stiff, was big on gimmicks to try and beat the major record labels. It was a great wheeze to call someone Elvis because it would make you stand out, Declan maybe wouldn't. Of course unfortunately, Elvis Pressley died later that year and everyone thought it was quite sick.

JH: Yeah, and he went on to do rather well, but not stunningly...I mean he's not one of those, erm, people you'd say "Oh my God, what a star!"

ET: No and I think that's part of the appeal for me, that he's never been a big star. He's essentially a fan of music, like I am, and he's introduced me via his various albums and projects to a lot of different types of music. From country to opera to chamber music to jazz.

JH: Really, opera?

ET: Yeah, he's involved in writing an opera at the moment, and recently (I think a couple of years ago) completed a ballet to A Midsummer Night's Dream.

JH: Well he's done you well tonight...
pubrock

GBH answer

Post by pubrock »

I quickly worked out the relative dates of GBH and Jake's Progress and plumped for the former based on where I was at the time etc. Thanks for the transcription mate.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Catalogue numbers??!! My God!
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I was amazed at the level of trivia with that too! Was there a particular significance that made them set this and made you get it, Eddie?

The only ones I might have guessed would have been some of the 'Fac XXV' type things Joy Division and New Order had on Factory, but only because they were very overt, and they weren't in sequence, they would use the 'special' numbers for landmark records. I think the Hacienda had its own fac number too!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

How many of you guys know any catalogue numbers? I know approximately zilch. :D
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

wasn't So It Goes 'BUY 1'???? whatever was first from Stiff was.

I think.

WAY TO GO, Pubrock!!!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I was amazed at the level of trivia with that too! Was there a particular significance that made them set this and made you get it, Eddie?
Yeah, was it rigged?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

martinfoyle wrote:That the Beeb got that Tom Thumb question wrong is another example of their ongoing dumbing down.
Martin - I've started so I'll finish...

...if Tom Thumb is the incorrect answer, what is the correct answer?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Martin thought that Humphries had said 1970, instead of 1997 Verb. Tom Thumb is right.
pubrock

Catalogue Numbers

Post by pubrock »

Fron Stiff through Radar to F-Beat the catalogue numbers were fairly easy to remember for singles and albums. Having so many copies of XX32 made it stand out in particular in my memory. No rigging!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks LC

Mental note to VG - read what's written :oops:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis Costello round on BBCTV's 'Mastermind'

Post by johnfoyle »

'History repeats the old conceits/ The glib replies..'thats all I kind of remember