Whatever happened to El Vez

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Whaddaya mean. . .obscure!!?
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I'm just glad he's off the crack/meth. I guess that Richard Pryor freebasing episode cured him.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Sure he's off the meth and crack, but he still hits the helium pretty hard. I hope he gets that shit under control. If he keeps tanking like that, he's never going to be able to hit those low notes in "Ooh, That Smarts!"

By the way, does anybody have a live boot of his solo acoustic performance of "Quetzalcoatl of Many Colors?" at the Roxy in '87? It's just Vez on 12-string, accompanying himself with harmonica and knee-cymbals. Amazing stuff.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I seem to recall that El Vez had an acting episode back in the late 80’s.
He played a cutler named Jives in an independent movie called „The Small Something”. It bombed at the box-office mostly due to the fact that they rated it X for the title alone, but also because the director was careless enough to invite Abel Ferrara onto the set, which eventually led to the film losing its clarity and linearity.
Anyway, EV acting was by many reviewers seen as a cross between Buster Keaton and Omar Shariff, but this highly favourable comparison did not land him any other film offers.
Has anyone seen the film btw ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

invisible Pole wrote:Has anyone seen the film btw ?
I never saw the film but I bought the soundtrack. El Vez's unique medley of Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Wordy Rappinghood and Stairway To Heaven still sends shivers down my spine.

I met him once, you know. He laughed at one of my jokes. It was a moment I will never forget. Nor will I forget the 4 inch Dempsey & Makepeace tattoo across his back.

It's a shame to read about his helium problems.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bobster

Post by bobster »

And his solo acoustic "Rappers' Delight" cover...
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I LOVE that, especially where he changes the line "hotel, motel Holiday Inn" to "Bed and breakfast, booked til July" to more accurately reflect the plight of the white suburban male.

His attempt to update "F*ck Tha Police" by N.W.A. was less successful, I thought. "C*ll My Brother the Attorney" just doesn't have the same ring.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

El Vez also made a brief appearance on Sanford & Son as some guy Lamont met at the Y.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

As I recall, that was a very special episode of Sanford & Son. If I'm not mistaken, Rosalind Carter made an appearance as well, as a twenty buck a trick hooker.
--William Shakespeare
migdd

Post by migdd »

Noise, I'm pretty sure you're mistaking Rosalind Carter for Rosalind Cash. Rosalind Carter would never sink to portraying a 20 buck a trick hooker. Anything less than 25 bucks would have been an insult!!

But, then again, for El Vez, she may have gone for twenty!
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Not to be vulgar but Vez always did have that "pussy hound" rep going for him.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

That doesn't bother me so much, but I guess I've steered clear of him because of his "Jews for Jesus" phase. It just creeped me out.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

That one photo of him arm-and-arm with Michael Medved did more damage than a thousand Self-Portraits ever could.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Medved is not a Jew for Jesus. He's a Jew for Pat Robertson. There's a difference.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I just hope nobody takes Pat Robertson's call for El Vez's assassination seriously. His last five albums have sucked, but that's no reason to kill the man...
--William Shakespeare
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

You think Irregardless of Your Proactive Stance sucks?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I lost all respect for El Vez when I saw him on The Surreal Life.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Yeah, he made a real ass of himself on that, MBA.
migdd

Post by migdd »

bobster wrote:
Medved is not a Jew for Jesus. He's a Jew for Pat Robertson. There's a difference.

Noiseradio wrote:
I just hope nobody takes Pat Robertson's call for El Vez's assassination seriously. His last five albums have sucked, but that's no reason to kill the man...
Once again, a simple thread dedicated to a great artist and the love of his music has deteriorated into a raging socio-political debate. Sheesh!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

In Re: The Surreal Life.

Do you think El Vez's relationship with Pia Zadora was real? I think it was a publicity stunt. According to rumors, El Vez actually plays for the other team...He was seen canoodling with Anderson Cooper backstage at the Emmys.
--William Shakespeare
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

What the shit?! Anderson Cooper's gay? This world is a hollow lie!
bobster

Post by bobster »

That was just the way I felt when it first dawned on me that Tom Cruise might actually be straight.
verbal gymnastics

What a coincidence! There's a picture in The Sun today of El Vez, Yoko Ono and Tom Cruise holding a black and white picture of John Wayne. I didn't get to read the story. Anybody got any ideas?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I don't know, but that reminds me of the time when El Vez tore up a picture of Don Knotts on Saturday Night Live
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

He thought he had been promised doughnuts but misheard what had been said.