10 Best Sandwiches

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Yeah, come on Poppet. I think that would be fun.

You bring the beer. :wink:
bobster

Post by bobster »

spooky --

Carny's is a pretty darn good all 'round chiliburger/dog joint...but the Tommy's variation is something else again. If you ever come back, try one and I think you'll like it even more. (Tommy's used to be hard to find, but they've expanded to like ten or fifteen locations, including one just east of Hollywood & Vine and one in Westwood.)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

f'in' bob, its too bad you people didn't put this much effort into the tower of song! eatin' is a big deal to you people.

poppet poppet (i like to say that real fast--poppetpoppetpoppet) i reviewed your list and you'll never make it. vegan over and out (i shouldn't say that, i don't even know what a vegan is. i eats fish.)
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yes but what is the wonderfully-named 'po' boy'?
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Goody2Shoes wrote: Hey Cope: Have you ever found Dutch crunch anywhere but San Francisco? The man of the house and I are always looking for it, because it is THE best bread for sandwiches, but we haven't seen it since we left SF.
Hey Goody...nope!!! I've only seen Dutch Crunch in San Francisco! Jesus that's good stuff! Ever been to Delicatessen Luca in the Marina??? Good stuff........
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

OTIS ! A Poor Boy..or Po' Boy is just a sandwich on a Bageutte...but there's something about the bread in New Orleans that makes it special.....you can put anything on a baguette and call it a po boy. Always dress it.....

Bobster....oh ya...I forgot the Muffalatta!!!! how could I ever do that? What a cool name.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

BWAP, between this thread and the beer one, is it safe to assume you've gone low-carb and are longing for the good ol' days?

I don't actually eat chow-chow, but I think it's more of a spicy kind of coleslaw thing that you put on (inferior) BBQ. I've never found a US equivalent of Branston pickle. And I think a rule of thumb on po'boys is that the meat part has got to be fried: oysters, shrimp, catfish, etc, slung hot and greasy onto a hollowed out baguette with lettuce, tomato, etc. Best experienced at the kind of place that sells sandwiches AND bait.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

oily slick wrote: poppet poppet (i like to say that real fast--poppetpoppetpoppet) i reviewed your list and you'll never make it. vegan over and out (i shouldn't say that, i don't even know what a vegan is. i eats fish.)
oily dear, i wasn't planning on going totally vegan , but if you've got some sammich suggestions that don't rely on cheese/dairy or MEAT to be interesting, do please share.

i'm lactose intolerant, so all those lovely cheesy things are right out! unless i want to take a sick day AND be in pain. generally not a desire on my part.

hey, i eats fish! mmmmm. catfish.

yeah, food is very important. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Mood, you make po boys sound like the catch from a local pond or perhaps something that could be purchased at one of those large BassPro shops! :o

I still love 'em!!!! :)
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Well, chowchow is a type of relish. "Relish" here more usually refers to the pickle stuff, as bobster points out. Chowchow is a relish that can have all kinds of veggies in it; it usually has green and red peppers, sometimes cabbage (hence the "cole slaw" reference), but I've seen it with lots of other things, most notably green beans, cauliflower, and my favorite, green tomatoes. It might be a regional thing; I've lived in so many places, I've forgotten where I picked things up. Also, I don't know if I've ever seen it bottled, like the Branston pickle to which Mr. Westinghouse refers. It's a home-made thing.

Don't even get me started on "piccalilli".

Cope--don't know Luca's, or I don't remember. It's been a while since we lived there. Where in the Marina, exactly? Chestnut St.? One of my favorite places to get sandwiches used to be at the Ashbury Market, at the top of Ashbury, a few blocks up from Haight. They made this coarse, spicy mustard that could clear your head during the worst of hangovers....
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Spooks, my (badly made) point about po'boys was that you want them made by someone who knows how, not by some chef in a funny hat.

note: I've given up my "!!!!!"s for italics. But just for today.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Oh, I knew what you meant, Mood. I just thought it was funny. :)
bobster

Post by bobster »

Just underlining a couple of points of earth shattering importance.

It's important to remember, just in case any of you are actually in New Orleans, that ANY sandwich there that isn't a muffaletta will be marketed as a po-boy...I'm not sure it even needs to be on French bread. I did have one thoroughly ordinary turkey "po-boy" that was pretty indistinguishable from a turkey sandwich you might get on, say, an airplane. Let the eater beware! The name, by the way, comes from the fact that the original ones were really cheap and probably made of lord knows what.

The chow-chow/coleslaw thing -- I guess the confusion is the fact that, at least in Memphis, it's customary to put actual coleslaw (sometimes a variation called "mustard slaw") on top of pork barbecue sandwiches.

(One of my best friends is from Memphis -- he'd be on this board except he hasn't liked an EC since Imperial Bedrooms. He once brought me an authentic pork barbecue sandwich when I picked him up at the airport. I think it lost something on the trip.)

Speaking of Memphis style pork b-b-q sandwiches, you get a pretty darn decent facsimile (well, I've never had one there, but I've been told) at The Pig on La Brea. I particularly like this place because it's in the middle of a heavily Hasidic Jewish neighborhood. When I walk in, I feel as if I'm wearing a "bad Jew" sign! I'm bad and I eat at "The Pig"! (Okay, not on Yom Kippur.)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

real pork bbq sammiches must have cole slaw on them. it's necessary for the proper taste.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

coleslaw on bbq=sacrilege.

piccalilli--is that the pickled vegetables in a jar?

my local produce store has a new owner and it's gone all Martha Stewart--selling pickled quails eggs and everything. That's gonna go over big with the locals! We're more pickled pigs feet folks.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Gotta disagree with you Moody- coleslaw on a Memphis style BBQ sandwich is essential. Just ask 'em at Rendezvous, Corky's or Tops. I also agree that the best Po Boys in my adopted hometown are made at little hole in the wall greasy spoon type joints- stay away from 'em at Emeril's and all the fancy places. LeCoco's on Ponce de Leon is like heaven for fried shrimp, oyster or catfish po boys. Mmmm.....sammiches.........dgfrrerlllllll
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

southern food fight!!!

okay moody, we'll agree to disagree.

though calling it sacreligious is a BIT extreme, doncha' think? 'cause really, the cult of the pork bbq really does say that cole slaw is necessary.

but hey, if you wanna eat it without, okay w/ me.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

coleslaw is a side dish. not a condiment. but whatever. I ain't eatin it no way, no how.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

actually, I've had sandwiches which have coleslaw in them... not bad, either!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Right - cole slaw can be really nice on a sandwhich - as a matter of fact, if you look back my #1 contains cole slaw. A really good cold alternative to sauerkraut and it crunches. As well as bar-b-q, real Jewish delis use slaw. And didn't the Kentucky Headhunters have a song where they're singing about slaw burgers?

Mood Swung - yes - I have a very poor diet. Not enought fruits and vegetables - high in meats, rice, pasta beans. I don't eat many sweets though. I don't drink very much - usually one beer a night when I get home.

Somebody mentioned Corkys - wow!! I had a business lunch there a few months ago and I was very happy that the guy I was meeting ordered the ribs - I jumped right in and damned if they weren't about the best I've ever had. Friends in KC say their ribs are better. I say, "bring 'em on!"
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I've been meaning to ask Stormwarning what are butties and sarnies?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
bobster

Post by bobster »

Cole slaw was actually the key ingredient in my mother's all time favorite sandwich, "the Chatam Special"

The Chatam is very long defunct Westwood (i.e., the neighborhood right next to UCLA) that catered to kind of a "ladies who lunch" crowd, but the ladies were predominantly Jewish. Anyhow the sandwich consisted of, I think, 3 slices of egg bread (club style), turkey, ham, and coleslaw. I don't like cold swiss cheese (melted is ok), but otherwise a very nice sandwich.

And Pophead -- now that fall's here, I envy you. New Orleans is one of my favoritist places ever. The food is amazing and the people are really cool -- though not the summer weather, as I understand it...it scares this spoiled boy from a temperate place without serious humidity.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

GOODY..yes Chestnut St. I was a nice Marina dweller for many years, until the darkness hit me.