Disappointed about North

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Is it that hard to discern loops from actual songs? Doesn't it sound kind of weird when a song suddenly skips back? The flow gets interrupted.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

North to me has a wonderful effect that once you are past the 5th maybe the 10th listen, it really does get into your head, and the distinct qualities and characters of the songs really do emerge. the more I play it, themore I appreciate it. It's a real one to live with. Not to everyone's taste, but to my mind a very commendable move for Elv.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, I've found a lot of the songs get stuck in my head.

Although "Dr. Luther's Assistant" has been stuck in my head all afternoon/evening :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

I'm becoming slowly addicted...

Must admit, turned down low, does make a great sleep aid!
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I'll repeat what I've said about NORTH a number of times: I think the new aspect here is that Elvis has written melodies that take a while to hear. So as you listen but don't grasp the complete melody lines, they're not immediately satisfying. But as the melodies emerge, they're as exciting and complex as his other stuff, and as addictive. And the words operate the same way-- I know what CBart means cause instead of the small reflective cleverness of puns and tight irony, NORTH is built of the larger expansive reflections you might find in a good short story (or even a novel, in the case of the record as a whole) so you know they're going to have staying power. No lack of cleverness there.

The record's not perfect, but damn it's good.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

.........and would we (or Elvis) still be around if he were still singing puns about waves of her right hand being so tidal?
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
King_of_Spain

Post by King_of_Spain »

BlueChair wrote:Is it that hard to discern loops from actual songs? Doesn't it sound kind of weird when a song suddenly skips back? The flow gets interrupted.
These loops are. They are so damn well built that you end up thinking this is a real song: anyway, it seemed a little weird to me this new Elvis´style, repeting the same line during five or six minutes... But everything is possible when we are talking about our man.

OK, you can call me nerd (I deserve it), but I did think so far "those" were the songs from North. Kinda minimalism or so, I thought.

Anyway. Please forget what I wrote about this topic before... :oops:
"Sometimes I name and number all the things you gave to me"
Lipstick

Post by Lipstick »

I've listened to North about 4 times. It's very pretty, but low key enough that I find myself having a conversation, or something..., while it plays.

If it has beautiful layers of melody, then I'll have lots to look forward to.
Don't bury me 'cause I'm not dead yet.
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

when i listen to North, i always hate it at first then gradually get into it. i can't decide if that's because i need to get used to it, or because the first few tracks are of the suck.

it gets good right around "fallen", anyways. i think. i haven't listened to it enough to have memorized the order.

my one problem: it needs a little swing. the slow, barely-there brushes work for the sad songs, but the upbeat songs feel like they're missing something. they need some jazzy-cool pep, man.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
bobster

Post by bobster »

What "up" songs? I guess emotionally, there's plenty, but, while I like most of the songs and love a couple ("Still" is a bit of an instant classic), I would have liked more variety. I actually disagree with Elvis, it might have been a better album if he had a couple of included "North" as a sort of a palate cleanser in the second act. Or perhaps even an actual up-tune. Not "Pump it Up" "up", heaven forfend, I mean more mid-tempo like "Tears at the Birthday Party" or "Toledo."
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

I think he was after an 'Only the Lonely' over all feel. It's classic and timeless but not for everybody. I love it. Shades bossa nova pep-'Impatience' after listening to the pacing on 'Too Blue' I'm beginning to think that Elvis listens to Mel Torme as much as I do. If you don't have the bonus songs it actually makes more sense.

To love it you either have to be in love or miserable about love. So eventually every human being will adore it. . maybe not.

Listening to my Bobby Darin box set-envy me Bobster. :twisted:
Everyone else can pity me. :cry:
Last edited by lapinsjolis on Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

North seems to me an organic whole, it is to be listened to of a piece, and every single song is worthy though all will have their individual preferences. I'm baffled by reactions sometimes--such as disappointment with the first three songs, which are very moving and beautiful to me--but again that is a matter of individual taste. My very favorite cuts are 'Can You Be True?' and 'Fallen.' It's too soon to evaluate it's place in EC's extraordinary body of work, but I already adore and treasure North.

I also have the bonus tracks! It makes sense that they were not included in the standard release, as they are in a different style from the rest of the album. "Impatience" has a fine set of lyrics ("My pulse is racing still/ I'm secretly thrilled/ By the laughter that tumbled and tears that were spilled/ As far as I know no one ever got killed/ By impatience") and "Too Blue" is a sad song sung drolly, jazz improv style, Mel Torme is a great comparison.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Just got North yesterday and spun it a couple of times.....Elvis' voice sounds great....the songs are slow, mellow and subdued, but with a richness....I just have to get into the melodies, because they sound the same after the first run through. Impatience is my fave so far....I think it's a clue to his next CD...the Bossa Nova style...... :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

I do find it hard to understand it when people say that they are disappointed with North because it is not what they were expecting (another WIWC perhaps).

I mean, it's not like he didn't make it totally clear what he would be releasing. North is exactly what Elvis said it would be - so how can you be disappointed with the result. If you weren't interested, you shouldn't have bought it.......you should wait until the next rock/pop albm comes out. Elvis the Crooner is fine with me. Long live the King!!
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I agree with Jackson....this is NOT a rock and roll album, and it was never advertised as such.....!

Can hardly wait to get home so I can spin it again.

By the way, for all of the complaining about the lyrics, I think they are quite strong!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I'm not disappointed that it's not a rock and roll record. I'm dissapointed because I love jazz and wanted this to be what he set out to make--a great jazz record. It's not. It's a pretty good jazz record, one that gows on me a little. But it's never going to be one of my favorites because I don't think these types of albums are his forte. This is the best non-rock experiment he's done, but I would rather listen to Nat King Cole or even Harry Connick Jr. any day.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I was talking to pip yesterday and she and I both agreed that Elvis should do a blues album.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

I don't see this album as an experiment at all. I think that these songs probably came from deeper inside Elvis than anything he has ever done. This album is an epiphany. An awakening to a new truly honest, beautiful type of songwriting that we've rarely seen from him before.

This album is a classic, and if Elvis looked like Harry Connick, North would go down as one of the best albums of all time.

I am not kidding. This is some of the most exquisite songwriting ever put to disc.

Elvis never set out to make a great jazz record. From what I've read, North pretty much just came to him.
A rope leash

Rope leash blues

Post by A rope leash »

Wrote a song about it. Wanna hear it? Here it go!

Pip gone told Elvis
He has to sing the blues
But Elvis done told Pip
He do what he want to do

So come on get it over with, then
Bring out the blues and let 'em fall
Because you know when you Elvis Costelloin'
You gots ta do it all!

Pip done gone up
To see that ol Blue Chair
Speadin the word of the Elvis blues
She HAD to go up there

So go on get it over with, then
Pick up them blues and bring 'em forth
Because you that it's Elvis darlin'
And it's bound to be better than North!

AYE-HYEE!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I've spent about a week and a half with this album, and have listened to it about 20 or so times. I must say that when I read the interviews with EC over the summer I was both excited and apprehensive - excited that EC was so enthusiastic about these tunes but apprehensive about this new, more straightforward lyrical approach. I shouldn't have been concerned. These are marvelous songs and North is rapidly ascending my list of favorite EC albums. I already would rank it well above When I Was Cruel, which, to my ears, lacked heart and contained a few throwaway tunes.

I've always appreciated EC's less traditional albums - Painted From Memory and The Juliet Letters are two of my faves (For The Stars is the only one that doesn't really work for me, largely because of the cool, classical approach of von Otter, who failed to get inside the spirit of the songs). I'm also a big jazz fan, so I have not problem with the more restrained, jazz-oriented instrumentation on the album. The Lee Konitz sax solo at the end of "Someone Took The Words Away" is especially fine.

The thing that this album underscores for me is what a fine vocalist EC is. He doesn't have the world's best instrument, but he uses it to such great effect and does such a wonderful job of phrasing and varying his tone that you don't really notice. And unlike Painted From Memory, there aren't really any moments when you notice the limits of his vocal range (those instances have never really bothered me, but I know that others do not agree).

One criticism that I think is totally unfair is the assertion that the album is lacking in melody. Anyone who says that simply is not listening very closely or has no appreciation for subtlety.

I really regret missing EC's recent appearances here in New York with Steve (I was visiting family in Seattle that week), but I will certainly make a point of getting tickets early when he returns to the States next year. I would love to hear these tunes live.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

I am in total agreement Who Shot...

I'm just too lazy and stupid to express myself as successfully.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Now I have had time to digest North and need to respond to the talk I've heard about it.

First of all, North is a great album, it's in fact the "make out" album of the decade. The lyrics are meaningful and hit home like a ton of bricks if you try to understand them. It is NOT a "happy go lucky" album as some have tried to characterize it. It is a dark album that blossoms and gives hope at the end. Elvis has NOT lost his edge, on the contrary, he goes into some of the most real and dark feelings a man could have. I appreciate him laying it on the line and really giving something of himself. I spent a lot of the weekend in tears while listening to North, it really moves me. Any album that can do that is a winner. But then again, I don't listen to music for mood music....I listen to music that paints a picture or makes it possible for me to be introspective.

2nd of all, a few people here and a couple of people who have reviewed North, mention Elvis' so called limited range. Just so you know, he recorded the album in a lower vocal register than he usually does, on purpose. So the "limited vocal range" on the album is done on purpose. If you question his vocal range...try to sing "When it sings" and not use a falseto. Belt it out and see if you can hold a clean sound and reach the high notes with power.....

My 2 favorite songs are:

When it sings
Someone took the words away
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Copenhagen Fan said:
it's in fact the "make out" album of the decade
:shock: Barry White would turn in his extra-large grave!
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Laughing Cow...I'd didn't know that Barry had made any albums in the this 21st century! :lol:

But anyway, "oh baby baby, big daddy's gonna do ya, love yer juicy thighs" and that stuff doesn't do it for me.. :lol:
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I wos thinking perhaps of the post-'Barry is dead so let's all buys his album' best of album that they released....

Naa, I can't say that Im a massive fan though, I usually use The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill..believe it or not.

As for North, it would have to be a very cultured girl...in the midst of frenzy she might be heard to utter..

''What beautiful orchestration!'' :lol: