What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

so lacklustre wrote:I love that Beat album WSS.

I have been listening to the new Richard Hawley album. Mmmmmmm quite nice.
I listened to a 30 sec sample of Never Miss Your Water (Till Your Well Runs Dry) to see how it was next to The Triffids' rendition, and, it sucked.
Really overblown and unbearably sacharine.
The first track too (I forget the name).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bambooneedle wrote:

I listened to a 30 sec sample of Never Miss Your Water (Till Your Well Runs Dry) to see how it was next to The Triffids' rendition, and, it sucked.
Oh well, different strokes. I think he's fab. That track is from the previous album BTW.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Modern Love by Bowie just popped up on the iPod Shuffle. Great pop song.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Just wanted to say that I obtained that Replacements song you were telling me about somewhere on here, pophead, and I sat and nodded 'Yeah, that's about it.' They pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as teenager-dom goes.
And now I'm off with MAIT 30th!
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
bambooneedle wrote:

Oh well, different strokes. I think he's fab. That track is from the previous album BTW.
I never said it wasn't from a previous album. :)

But this more recent stuff of his... I dunno. It seems he's making a big lunge for popularity, in a style that, I find slightly distasteful (publicity shots on motorbikes, in very colourful clothes, etc... frankly it makes him look like a bit of a tosser) and the music strikes me as faux glamour without much soul, kinda hollow.

But yeah, different strokes as you said WSS.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Having conversed with Hawley before on his forum, I think he's a very genuine guy and I'm pretty sure he couldn't care less if he's popular or not. The retro thing is not some act - it's what he's into and inspired by. I can understand how his music might not be for some people, but I don't think he's a phony.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Having conversed with Hawley before on his forum, I think he's a very genuine guy and I'm pretty sure he couldn't care less if he's popular or not. The retro thing is not some act - it's what he's into and inspired by. I can understand how his music might not be for some people, but I don't think he's a phony.
I liked Coles Corner, including The Ocean :wink: .
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I do like her voice.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Just got this and I like it a lot - full of energy and brimming with great melodies.
If it's Ash's farewell to the album format (as they say), they couldn't have thought of a better good-bye.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'm obsessing. Completely. Playing different parts of this every day. Going to sleep with a different track from Closer every night. Downloading more for and sorting my bootleg archive. Re-reading Touching From a Distance. Reading the Control-related articles in Word, OMM, etc. avidly. And tomorrow the three re-issues with live bonuses are out.

Unfortunately I can't find a decent forum with fellow obsessives to share our disorder (boom boom). The only things I've found have been from woeful types who know next to nothing, it seems.

What fascinates me is that although they were very much from a specific time and place, the older I get, the more timelss they seem.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Pandora radio, which just played me some Elvis. :)
Lately: Dusty in Memphis, Regina Spektor's Soviet Kitsch, Squeeze's Singles album, and some Joni.
Otis Westinghouse

Must check out Soviet Kitsch. How would you rate it compared to Begin To Hope (which I'm a big fan of)?

New Joni got a good review in the Observer Music Monthly yesterday:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/10be ... 59,00.html

PS I'm listening to a very good Joy Division bootleg! (Effenaar, Eindhoven, Jan 18 1980, if you must know.)
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Actually, I don't have Begin To Hope. I'm rather green all music, in fact. :oops: Just getting into the good stuff, thanks in big part to you guys....

I'm a big fan (of Soviet Kitsch), and I got it on the strength of Us. It's got a lot of quirky stuff on it, which I like, but I've heard that's it's a lot less polished than Begin To Hope. I wouldn't know though, sorry! Um, I'd guess I'd recommend it, though.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I fell in love with Cat Like Thief yesterday, so I thought I'd try the rest of the album. Not as good. So far, anyway.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Saw this film on Sunday and was inspired to pick up the beautiful soundtrack yesterday.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Raising Sand, the new collaborative album by Alison Krauss & Robert Plant. It's nothing short of remarkable. Great production (T-Bone Burnett) and their very different voices blend together really well.

I think my favourite track so far is their version of The Everly Bros. "Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Suits my mood. "Borracho" - superb.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

9 yr old daughter has been watching High School Musical 2 so I have had to put up with that sacharine for the past 1 hr 40 minutes - nearly finished though I think thank fuck.
signed with love and vicious kisses
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Josie has the cd. I feel your pain.

No, not really.

god, I love this record.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:9 yr old daughter has been watching High School Musical 2 so I have had to put up with that sacharine for the past 1 hr 40 minutes - nearly finished though I think thank fuck.
:D :D

My 7-year old daughter was home from summer camp for a week before school started and was driving me nuts with that crap!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

so lacklustre wrote:9 yr old daughter has been watching High School Musical 2 so I have had to put up with that sacharine for the past 1 hr 40 minutes - nearly finished though I think thank fuck.
Did it get to the part where the girl takes erotic photos of herself yet?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

No kidding, Josie heard that Zac Efron took those pics and posted them on the internet and she got so upset she started crying when she was telling me about it.

Drama Queen.

But at least she has stopped cutting her own hair. I mean, except for when she got the ponytail holder stuck in it and cut that out, leaving a little Woody Woodpecker top knot...

It's a good thing she was not born first, because I'd have left her at the Home for Children.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I've never really been a Bowie fan, except for the usual songs- Space Oddity is my favorite but I found a Vinyl copy of this and really liked it. "life on Mars?" "Kooks" and "Queen Bitch" are all becoming favorites. I'm thinking Low would be a good album to get after this
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

That's my favourite Bowie album as well.

Now listening to this lovely record :
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

You're talking my language! Two of my all time faves in a row. Love Story is a total classic, no?