Elvis when you least expect it

Pretty self-explanatory
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Not exactly unexpected but EC gets a few mentions in the March edition of Uncut.

In the 'Editors Letter' (Allan Jones), he is talking about seeing the Arctic Monkeys on Later ...".....This is breathless stuff - short, sharp and sensational, entirely without unnecessary frills, fripperiesor flouncing - that makes me think of Costello & The Attractions nearly 30 years ago raging through something like "No Action" ."

Later in the same article he is talking about a Paul Weller interview that appears in this edition: "...but with Strummer dead, Costello marginalised and Lydon past caring, Weller, of punk's original quartet of Angry Shouty Blokes, is the last man standing....."

In the review (by Paul Moody) of the Arctic Monkeys album the by-line is "Alex Turner's breathless delivery is faultless, a foaming cocktail of lust and longing, occasionally brimming over into Costello-esque rage"

Haven't read the whole thing yet so there may be more.
signed with love and vicious kisses
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Driving along the motorway back to Dublin after a morning walking in the Wicklow mountains , we flicked the radio over from the rugby commentary to hear Olivers Army ; at the same time passing us was a van with the lettering Costello Doors............

http://www.costellodoors.ie/index.htm
verena

Post by verena »

I have something French for this thread. Really strange, because EC is not widely known in France. Only people who are quite knowledgeable about music seem to have heard about him. His lyrics are too sophisticated for the average level of the French in English.

Well, the second time I went to Virgin to buy a little stack of Elv cds, I went to the coffee shop as I always do and I they were showing Monkey to Man :shock:
And last week they put him on again. Something out of "Live in Memphis" :shock: The dvd is not even for sale there... well I looked and didn't see it.
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

Elvis is name-dropped in a Boston Globe baseball column, found here.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/a ... up/?page=1

1. Who's the funky guy in the oversized, black Elvis Costello glasses?
That would be Joe Maddon, new manager of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, who rides his bicycle everywhere, has a CD collection that could stock the playlist of 20 stations on.....
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Ellen Degeneres did some Grammy schtick where she toyed with some of the musicians backstage (aired on her afternoon talk show the day after). She crashed the rehearsal and was giving Bonnie Raitt some 'advice' and Dave Farragher, standing next to Bonnie, seemed a bit bored with the whole comedy thing. Raitt, good naturedly played along. The Edge looked pissed.

Later she slumped in the corridor backstage and sang U2 and Gwen Stefani songs while playing Harmonica and Kazoo, bummin' cash from the stars. The overrated ColdPlay guy gave her two bucks. Elvis initially tried to sneak by and avoid being pulled into the who routine, but he was either prompted, or thought better of it, and returned to hand Ellen a dollar. One dollar. He sort of shamefully waddled away, trying to play along but the whole physical comedy thing did not become him. Sort of like Buster Keaton trying to do a joke on new-q-lar energy, but in reverse.

Later, Ellen tried to leverage Elvis' "stinginess" to get more cash out of Bono, who stiffed her completely.

Scorecard:

ColdPlay guy = $2
Elvis Costello = $1
Bono = $0

Farragher = bored with the whole thing.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

My son had 'Millionaire' on the other night, and I found myself watching some 50something mild-mannered man from Edinburgh be asked 'with which backing band is Elvis Costello most commonly associated?' Rather condescendingly, knobhead Tarrant asked him with a smirk if he knew the answer before the four options were shown, obviously expecting him to not have a clue, and our boy said 'I think it's "the Attractions"'. Good on him. the options were 'the Crickets', 'the Shadows' and can't remember the other. Fortunately 'the Imposters' wasn't included.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

As I was driving, I was listening to a gardening program on our local ABC radio station (our equivalent top the BBC) over the weekend and the hosts who are a couple of fairly "ordinary" gardening show presenters (comon-all-garden variety?) were chatting with a guest who for some reason began to comment on all of his Elvis paraphernalia.

I was somewhat surpised when one of the hosts made the comment... "that's Elvis Costello of course" to which the guest replied "no" and received the response... "oh, you mean there is another Elvis?!?"
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

MLAR is not a surf record but The Other Side of Summer is like a Beach Boys song in the way it's arranged. Maybe that's what he alluding to?
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

In a department store dressing room the other day trying on clothes and I hear overhead "Almost Blue", but not by Elvis - by some jazzy sounding chick.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Tim(e) wrote: I was somewhat surpised when one of the hosts made the comment... "that's Elvis Costello of course" to which the guest replied "no" and received the response... "oh, you mean there is another Elvis?!?"
There's only one Elvis, and it ain't him.

(that's what one of my friends actually said about EC (not being him) :lol: ).
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

I swear in Simon Schama's "A History of Britain" TV series there's a bit from Elvis. It was with strings, and I assume it's something from the Juliet Letters. I didn't have the album at the time though, so couldn't say which song it is. I have the series on DVD now, I'll have to watch them all to find the EC reference...
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Indeed, the Wikipedia Costello entry sez 'Three of his songs also appeared on the soundtrack to Simon Schama's A History of Britain', though I can't find any info on which ones. The BBC site sez 'Internationally-renowned composer and saxophonist John Harle was commissioned to compose an original music score for the second series of A History of Britain. The score is performed by vocalists including Emma Kirkby, Elvis Costello and Lucie Skeaping together with the BBC Singers and BBC Concert Orchestra. The soundtrack is available to buy on CD from the BBC Shop.' So not clear if Costello only appears on John Harle numbers or doing any of his own stuff.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I could be wrong here, but I recall at least one of the John Harle/EC Shakespeare numbers (Come Away Death?) in a documentary about the plague - p'raps it was an episode of this most excellent series.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

spooky girlfriend wrote:In a department store dressing room the other day trying on clothes and I hear overhead "Almost Blue", but not by Elvis - by some jazzy sounding chick.
Diana Krall, perhaps?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I don't know, has she done a version of it? It took me a minute to recognize the song, but I don't think it was her. I could be wrong though.

Heard Alison while walking through the local pharmacy yesterday as well. . . . .
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I don't know, has she done a version of it? It took me a minute to recognize the song, but I don't think it was her. I could be wrong though.
Well according to Mr Krall, his wife's version is the definitive one...
spooky girlfriend wrote:Heard Alison while walking through the local pharmacy yesterday as well. . . . .
The song or just a woman you know? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Indeed, the Wikipedia Costello entry sez 'Three of his songs also appeared on the soundtrack to Simon Schama's A History of Britain', though I can't find any info on which ones. The BBC site sez 'Internationally-renowned composer and saxophonist John Harle was commissioned to compose an original music score for the second series of A History of Britain. The score is performed by vocalists including Emma Kirkby, Elvis Costello and Lucie Skeaping together with the BBC Singers and BBC Concert Orchestra. The soundtrack is available to buy on CD from the BBC Shop.' So not clear if Costello only appears on John Harle numbers or doing any of his own stuff.
Here is the CD that's available to buy. Don't recognise any, except O Mistress Mine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 73-4963612
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
nobodygirl

Post by nobodygirl »

I was watching PBS last night and A Black and White Night was on. I'd never seen it, and I had no idea that Elvis played the harp.
Your friends said you were better off dead
You were dead anyway from the start
--RA
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

spooky girlfriend wrote:
In a department store dressing room the other day trying on clothes and I hear overhead "Almost Blue", but not by Elvis - by some jazzy sounding chick.
Alison Moyet's version has only recently received a U.S. release ; maybe it was that.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Maybe it was - I just don't think it was Diana because the voice didn't sound deep enough. Thanks, John. :)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Chrissy on listserv posts -

On tonight's Crossing Jordan they were playing "Secondary Modern" (of all
songs) in the background while Woody was in bed with that blonde chick.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.........and

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 15,00.html

( extract)

“AND I WOULD RATHER BE ANYWHERE ELSE,” Elvis Costello crooned as the Birmingham City players warmed up at Old Trafford before kick-off, “than here today.” As if they needed telling — and by a Scouser, too. After Tuesday’s 7-0 home defeat by Liverpool, the Birmingham players did not look at that stage as if they wanted to be on a football pitch anywhere.
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

Strolling through the plumbing aisle at Home Depot with my soon-to-be. 45 starts with some good volume considering the setting. She quickly distanced from me 2 rows over until the song was done! :o :D
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

I was wandering around Musiczone in Ashton (finally back in the North!!!) and I wandered in as the end of "Everyday I Write the Book" was playing. Then "Shipbuilding Came On". They were playing "The Very Best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions". I left the shop when PL&U came on, but six/seven EC songs, that's not bad.... Plus I picked up the best of Nick Lowe for £3 in a charity shop earlier. I love being home!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Having lunch in Er Buchetto here in Ranelagh, Dublin and I start to recognise the tune playing quietly in the backround - it's Elvis and Lucinda Williams singing Wild Horses. Since that's only only the bootleg of the CMT show they did a few years ago I just had to ask where they were playing it from. A staff-members iPod , apparently.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I watched a programme on tv last night called 'Hooking up' all about internet dating. (A subject close to my heart as this is how I met the love of my life going on 10 years ago now!)

On it one of the guys sung an entire verse of 'Alison' to his internet date as he wined dined and showered her with flowers. He didnt do a bad job either - it would have hooked me!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!