Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Time to pack in the space shuttle program I think.
That shouldn't be a problem when Bush hears the comments the astronauts are making about how environmentally shitty our planet is looking from up there.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Time to pack in the space shuttle program I think.
That shouldn't be a problem when Bush hears the comments the astronauts are making about how environmentally shitty our planet is looking from up there.
He needs the money to get us involved in another war.

What a disaster this clown is - another 27 soldiers killed this week and America snores on...
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I find it kinda stupid that the media's big story is minor damage to the shuttle yet the major damage seen to the planet is relegated to the small print. I mean sheesh, its disgusting what we have done to the Earth and Bush Co. is in denial about it. When are these fucking stupid people in charge gonna wake up and start thinking global and start trying to save the goddamn planet instead of blowing each other up??? :evil:
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
bobster

Post by bobster »

Probably about the time my dad realizes that Orkin Pest Control is not deliberately putting no-see-ums into his house.

Human stupidity and stubbornness is the only limitless natural resource.

But there we go again, being all reality-based. This is a faith-based presidency, which perhaps wouldn't be so bad if W's faith was in anything other than his own blinders.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Shit's fucked up when I can get a whole season of The Nanny on dvd but Ride The High Country is still rotting away in vhs purgatory.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I give up.
bobster

Post by bobster »

El Vez wrote:Shit's fucked up when I can get a whole season of The Nanny on dvd but Ride The High Country is still rotting away in vhs purgatory.
That is so fucked up, I shall have to resort to profanity. Dude (and I never use the word "Dude" except to refer to dude ranches or Dean Martin's character in "Rio Bravo"), you need to come out to some bastion of civilization where RTHC occasionally plays in museums, etc.

BTW, my mother is such an insane fan of "The Nanny", that she's addicted online trivia games on the show's website. (Don't tell her I wrote "fucked up"!!!)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

People keep saying 'soduku' when it's written 'sudoku'. This is because enough people started saying it that way to make it become the 'standard' pronunciation here, it seems. I now feel pretentious for saying it with the vowels the right way round. It's like people insiting 'Bough-ee' is right and not 'Bo-eee', though obviously miles worse cos the spelling there doesn't help. People have such a fear of the foreign and unknown here, nowhere moreso than linguistically.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

Born To Run is full of Clarence Clemons and his horn, but Meeting Across The River features a trumpet blowing away. Good on you, Bruce. Good piece of judgement.
Otis Westinghouse

Punting in Cambridge is one of those things that seems quite tricky and most people make a total hash of, but once you get the hang of it, is really quite simple. Like many things in life, less is more. Small movements of the pole in the water tend to give you all the steering you need, but people overdo it and veer from one side of the river to the other. (I have personal evidence of Jackson Monk not being an example of this, by the way!)
Otis Westinghouse

Wow, this is fun! I've hardly ever looked at this thread, and now I'm a regular! (See the 1000+ posts thread for evidence of what a sad git I am.)
Otis Westinghouse

That photo isn't me or anyone I know, by the way. I'm twice his age, and only have the pole on the right side of the punt, like the guy in the distance. this bloke is probably about to crash into someone else.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

It's 3:30 a.m., I feel like shit and can't sleep. But someone across the street is playing Bob Wills.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I give up.
OK, but just for today, ok?

happy thoughts, SMM.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Okay, will try, thanks.... I have the weirdest lovelife (and I use the term loosely) on earth.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

It's a big old goofy world for everybody, Mug. I'm with Mood on wishing you happy thoughts and, oh let's say Gilbert Gottfried in a hot tub. Hopefully that image will cheer you up a bit.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well I think it has put me off hot tubbing for a while! You guys are the best. Thank you.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

trout chow, llama chow, crawfish bait (and I assume) chow, dog chow, hamster chow, goat chow...Purina claims to make 20,000 kinds of chow.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Cheers to you, Muggy. :) Hope today finds you smiling.

BTW, I bought a new vacuum cleaner yesterday. We seem to go through them like paper towels around here.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Cheers to you, Muggy. :) Hope today finds you smiling.

BTW, I bought a new vacuum cleaner yesterday. We seem to go through them like paper towels around here.
Get a Simpilicity. Best vacuum we've ever owned, and a lot cheaper than a Dyson.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Well, it's kind of already a done deal. I bought a Shark. It's one of the few brands I've never previously purchased, so I thought it was worth a try. I don't know that I've ever heard of Simplicity.

So far, this vacuum really sucks. :) In a good way.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Well, it's kind of already a done deal. I bought a Shark. It's one of the few brands I've never previously purchased, so I thought it was worth a try. I don't know that I've ever heard of Simplicity.

So far, this vacuum really sucks. :) In a good way.
Sounds good. Just be careful next to small pets.

I'm ashamed to admit that it's our housecleaner, Debbie, who recommended the Simplicity - and she uses it a lot more than me! My wife and I have always hated housecleaning, going back to the days when we lived in a studio apartment. With both of us working, it's worth it to pay someone to come in every two weeks. The funny thing is that my wife goes around the house tidying up the evening before Debbie is scheduled to arrive, so by the time she gets here most of the work has been done.

We tend to spend hours in the yard on the weekend, doing gardening and other little projects. It's just the inside stuff that we find so tedious.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I find myself trying to decide - do I work outside or inside? The inside probably needs it more, but I love our yard on the mountain and it is rather zen for me to work out there.

Sigh, but the inside suffers from 4 messy kids, a nephew (who I might add got in trouble the SECOND day of kindergarten for showing his ass to his classmates - LITERALLY!) and Doc of course. :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

spooky girlfriend wrote:...a nephew (who I might add got in trouble the SECOND day of kindergarten for showing his ass to his classmates - LITERALLY!)...
Perhaps he thought they were his assmates.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I just returned from an all-afternoon business meeting with a client who took off her shoes and walked around the conference room pieds nus. Bizarre.

I didn't realize it had happened until after the meeting, when my boss phoned me and told me about it (I was on the other side of the table from the client). My boss was so surprised when she saw it that she nearly choked on her coffee. What's worse - the client obviously has a foot odor problem. At one point I thought someone had left an old sandwich lying around. Yuck.