I'm off to work!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

green.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Frog
signed with love and vicious kisses
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

Clydesdale.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

CHARLIE MURPHY!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I tried taking a nap after dinner - but couldn't get to sleep - it's going to be a late night - GO PATS !
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

My mother was supposed to come over and show me how to set up my sewing machine (this would be the anti-Super Bowl party) but she didn't, so I've been watching Sex & the City and eating microwave popcorn all day!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

El Vez wrote:Caught Million Dollar Baby this afternoon and I liked it very much. I can't talk too much about it for fear of spoiling it but I will say that the "twist" was very effective and in no way gimmicky as it was rooted in something central to Eastwood and Swank's characters.
I have been championing Sideways for as many Oscar wins as possible but after seeing Million Dollar Baby tonight I can say that I will not be disappointed should it clean up at the Oscars. I couldn't speak for about three minutes after the film had ended.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Looking forward to "Million Dollar Baby" . Do they play the Alice Cooper song?
Been out running - forgot how painful it can be :)
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
miss buenos aires

Blue-You liked Sideways that much? I found it kind of overrated. The writing and acting were quite good, I just didn't really like the male characters, and found it insulting that we're supposed to root for the alcoholic, depressive sad sack who steals from his mother (and is a bad teacher, to boot) to get together with the articulate, intelligent, beautiful woman.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That's the whole appeal for me. You're not really sure who you should be rooting for. Giamatti and Haden-Church's characters are very much anti-heros, much like a lot of characters in Hitchcock films.

In the end, it is the women who are given the upper-hand, and it is up to them to decide the fate of these ridiculous men.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Re Sideways:

All of Alexander Payne's films feature protagonists who are not exactly likeable characters (believe me, compared to Ruth Stoops from Citizen Ruth, Miles is like Innan from Cold Mountain!) and they all hinge on audiences appreciating how vividly rendered and relatively true-to-life someone like Warren Schmidt or Haden Church's failing playboy actor are in comparison to 99% of what Hollywood gives us. I can look at About Schmidt and see my dad just like I can watch Giamatti as Miles and recognize where that pain is coming from and why he is a depressed, alcoholic misanthrope. I watched it and noted the choices that everyone involved with the film made in order to capture these cool, telling little details that most American films miss and I appreciated the artfulness and sour wit of it enough to take the journey with people that I would rather not spend time with......although I can certainly claim to having had friends like those guys.

Having said that, the Virginia Madsen character gave me some minor problems where suspending my disbelief was difficult. I'm glad when guys like Giamatti get romantic leads (regardless of their characters dyspepsia) but there were aspects of that relationship which were too good to be true although the tremendous chemistry that those two actors generated did offset that some.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

After Seinfeld and Woody Allen movies, I'm used to inconceivable couplings :D
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Debating whether or not I'm gonna go to my fave local greasy spoon, The Alabama Grill.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Maybe I should go see Finding Neverland today since I happen to be enjoying a rare monday off from work.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

i'll go to bed as a happy man after my brother got a ticket for the ec london concert 8)
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

The Alabama Grill is closed for remodeling.

Motherpussbucket.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

shatterproof wrote:
El Vez wrote:The Alabama Grill is closed for remodeling.

Motherpussbucket.
Oh, dag! For how long? I guess for now you have to find another place to get all things greasy! At least it didn't close down, like my beloved Blue Moon Diner with their Elvis Presley memorabilia and the very tasty huevos blue moonos. :cry:
Unspecified but hopefully this won't put them out of commission for too long. I would *hate* it if they were shut down for a couple of months or something although that seems a bit of a stretch. Still, I had my tastebuds all set to Greasy McGreasegrease and then I saw all the newspaper up covering the windows and the little sign saying "Close for remodeling."

Is there another kind of huevos blue moonos other than the very tasty kind?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

shatterproof wrote:Oh, dag!
Shatter, you probably meant to say dang, but a dag is an Australian colloquialism that basically means someone with a pathetic sense of style...!
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

bambooneedle wrote:
shatterproof wrote:Oh, dag!
Shatter, you probably meant to say dang, but a dag is an Australian colloquialism that basically means someone with a pathetic sense of style...!
I thought dag literally meant a piece of shit? :wink:
miss buenos aires

What about dag-nabbit?
bobster

Post by bobster »

So that must mean the act of kidnapping fecal material. Eureka!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

RedShoes wrote:I thought dag literally meant a piece of shit? :wink:
That explains a place in Essex called Dagenham :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dag
dag1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dg)
n.
A lock of matted or dung-coated wool.
A hanging end or shred.