Top 5 Guitarists

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

you're using too many big words, slick, but I could kiss you for not using "arguably"! :wink:

and, I'm no judge of guitar players, but I like John Frusciante (yep, she can spell too!) so I was very happy to see him in at around #18 or so. It did seem to be somewhat age-biased to me. Arguably, of course.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Cosmos: I love Segovia enormously too. A true genius and a lovely person with it. I have a fantastic boxed set. Brilliant transcriptions of Bach for guitar. And the quality of the 1950s remastered recordings is superb.

I've been playing By The Way for a year now (mostly in the car, a Westinghouse family favourite for trips), and never tire of lots of Frusciante's special moments on it. The two that stand out are the lyrical solo moments on the two lovely songs Dosed and Tear. There's something so naked and vulnerable in the very untreated sound, it's almost naive in its simplicity, but it's true poetry. There's something disturbing about someone (from the US) who's so hell-bent on playing his guitar till he gets it just so to the point where he thought it was the Empire State Building that went down on 9/11, but I guess that comes with the naive quality.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I think Frusciante is a true prodigy. That word gets thrown around a lot, but if you think about it, he's got two possible careers. He could be a Muppet, or he could be a guitar player. I don't think he could keep a job sacking groceries. He's the guy for whom the phrase 'well, bless his heart' was invented. But that is one awesome album, and a Swung family favorite as well.
Like me, the "g" is silent.