Thoughts on the reissues (so far)

Pretty self-explanatory
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Aw, WHAR, is that a love letter from you? You know your comments about Mr. Average are ironic. (He wasn't even involved in the exchange, and others commented before he did. Why is he to blame, but every other commenter isn't?) As a casual observer and sometimes participant in these occasionally heated exchanges, you give at least as good as you get in blowing things out of proportion. (So do I, lest anyone remind me). You're predisposed to jump out of your skin at anything Mr. A posts. If you want him to lay off, try doing the same. (Another whale saved). P.S. I'm glad you like my posts. None of this is personal or permanent, as far as I'm concerned.

Bamboo, quite right. I should read slower. But I still take it back, if only for the general welfare of the board.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

El Vez,

I tell my brother he's a prick sometimes too. But He's my favorite person in the world besides my wife and kids. It isn't that big of a deal. A call for class is cool, and I agree. But when someone's being a prick, maybe they need to hear about it once in a while (perhaps in different words).
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

noise, I never jump on a Mr. A post. Never. Unless, it is about me.

He has taken this argument into other sections and threads on the boards. I have not.

I do not blow things out of proportion, either. I backed myself up- and he turned it into my rebelling against society.

Utterly ridiculous. That is the type of ridiculous I've never been guilty of. Calling somebody a douche bag? That's my cup of tea.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

wehitandrun wrote:Calling somebody a douche bag? That's my cup of tea.
Not sure I'd brag about that...
--William Shakespeare
John

Post by John »

I've changed my mind on which is my favourite track from GCW. It's now CD1, track 13. :wink:
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

:lol:

John, you need to post more.

Noise, I love that two people with our icons are arguing.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

noiseradio wrote:El Vez,

I tell my brother he's a prick sometimes too. But He's my favorite person in the world besides my wife and kids. It isn't that big of a deal. A call for class is cool, and I agree. But when someone's being a prick, maybe they need to hear about it once in a while (perhaps in different words).
It was kind of a joke.....hence the Ghostbusters, Cheney and Anchorman ("Stay classy, San Diego.") references. I can see how it would be taken as something more prim than it was meant to be. Limitations of the medium, I suppose.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

El Vez,

Haven't seen Anchorman, which partially explains my not getting the joke. Sorry. But a call for class is still a good thing.
--William Shakespeare
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

WHAR,

Are we still arguing?
--William Shakespeare
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I resent being likened to a virus. My infection is more bacterial in nature. And the board is the antibiotic.

For whatever reason, my t-lymphocyte and neutrophile counts never change as a result of your posts, WHAR. Proving, once again, that the Rene Descartes Mind-Body problem was really not a problem at all...that higher centers and cognitive reason will win over venomous name-calling every time.

"The Truth Confronts You...
the truth confronts you like the sea crushing without detail.
Impassioned, yet detached.
Killing with Love and Power in God's Name"
- Pete Townshend
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

noiseradio wrote:WHAR,

Are we still arguing?
No, I don't think so.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Damn.
--William Shakespeare
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I finally picked up GCW and Almost Blue Reissues. I have owned the vinyl since they hit the racks when originally released.

GCW: My goodness, the flood of memories induced by the first few listens to the original disc (I haven't heard the vinyl since I moved to CA over 4 years ago...my lp collection is in storage in Ohio). I struggled to like it because it would have just been impossible for me to reconcile that Elvis was not producing the ear candy that I had come to know and love. The dissonance was reconstituted by these initial listens, which only goes to show you how AFFECTIVE music can be. I haven't changed my mind about this being a weak elvis effort, but it does feature some songs that stand out. I am enjoying it at work as plug away, and it somehow sounds better today then it did back then. The framework afforded by a retrospective analysis makes it much more enjoyable than it was initially. Sort of like the television series such as "I Love the 70's"...the horrendous fashions, movies, and sitcoms that were the butt of all jokes and the object of great derision suddenly are holding my butt firmly in the recliner, looking forward to the next vignette that is evocative of some weird phase of my past.

Whoa, I think I picked a bad day to quit sniffin' glue, based on the foregoing.

Almost Blue: I also picked up the reissue last night. Same general reaction, but a different story. I was the last to admit that I could/would listen to country and western influenced music when this record was originally released. I completely rebelled and refused to play it. I was pissed at Elvis and began to immerse myself in Bebop. My former work associates at the record store gave me a great poster of the cover of Almost Blue (slight variant of the cover) and because of my love for the performer and his band,I hung it on the wall of my new office. One day, Doug Hilliard, the CEO of our division (his visit struck the fear of God into all of us new hires) strolled unexpectedly into the Office Space I shared with two other instructors (my first real, post-record store job). As we prayed in silence that he would not ask us a direct question, he strolled up to me in his expensive suit, pointed to the poster, and asked my if I was a fan of Elvis and if I thought it was appropriate to have a poster of a musical performer on my Bulletin Board at work. I answered yes, twice. A long silence. Then he told me he was a huge fan, asked me if he could get a copy of the poster (to which I quickly yanked the pushpins, rolled the sucker up, and handed it to him...I'm not stupid!), extended his hand and asked if he could have a seat to talk. We reviewed the EC catolog up to that point, and after 45 minutes he walked out ... a friend. My office mates were pissed, as if the whole event was contrived and that I had planned this event for weeks. I was promoted to Product Manager, CardioPulmonary Diagnostics within the month, and now, more than ever, was my rep tarnished..for no other reason than the CEO and I just happened to be Elvis Costello fans. Almost Blue almost made me Almost Rich. Almost. Doug was fired a year later, and the EC connection was lost. too late

After that visit, I listened and listened and listened to AB and it became a favorite, and always will be. Hearing it again brings back great memories.

After this post, I'll bet some of you wish I was still huffin'
Last edited by Mr. Average on Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
migdd

Post by migdd »

Mr. A, that is an incredible story! Thanks for sharing!