River in Reverse discussion

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

.... having worked together before on Elvis' 'Spike' album. I think the wheels started turning."
Elvis even earlier work , in Sept. 1983 , with Allen Toussaint was chronicled on the Punch The Clock re-issue sleevenote , making apt reading this week -

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=3471

"WALKING ON THIN ICE"

During the "Clocking on across America" tour I received an invitation to meet Yoko Ono at a New York City studio. She had recently begun mixing and compiling the two albums she and John Lennon had been working on at the time of his death.

"Milk and Honey" might have been an album of rough and unfinished Lennon recordings but hearing them in a dimly lit studio with the widow, who had only recently been able to face listening to the tapes, was a very emotional experience. This was probably due to the fact that Lennon's unedited "between-takes" banter was blasting out of the control room speakers while the studio itself was in darkness. The effect was quite unsettling. Yoko asked me to contribute to "Every Man Loves A Woman" (the other work-in-progress album): a collection of other artist's recordings of her songs. Although I would not pretend that her records are exactly a fixture on my turntable I was happy to help complete one of her husband's last projects which one must imagine was conceive out of love.

We were to cut a version of "Walking on Thin Ice", certainly one of Yoko's strongest pieces. However our touring schedule required that we record on one of the few days when we would not be either traveling or performing. Our itinerary suggested Memphis or New Orleans. Now we needed a producer. I suggested that Yoko's office might approach Willie Mitchell in Memphis or Allen Toussaint in New Orleans. After all both these producers had created unique horn-section sounds and we just happened to have one with us.

I don't know if Yoko's people ever heard back from Willie Mitchell but the next thing we knew we were at Sea-Saint Studios in New Orleans with Allen Toussaint behind the board. Pete Thomas was delighted to be in the same drum booth as used by the Meters' Ziggy Modeliste while Allen worked closely with Bruce fashioning a very original bass part and swapped keyboard ideas with Steve Nieve. Ironically the main horn frame was a quote from an obscure Willie Mitchell production: "Let The Love Bell Ring" although Allen naturally tailored the overall arrangement and phrasing to a recognizably Toussaint sound. I don't believe that horn section ever sounded better than on this recording. During our stay we too in a couple of Neville Brothers shows where I first heard drummer Willie Green who, long with Allen Toussaint, later played on the New Orleans sessions for my Warner Bros. album "Spike". As for our concert in the city...it was cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

EC/Toussaint album completed. There was a nice story about the project on NPR this morning, that offers some little tidbits from the recording sessions. Sounds very promising indeed!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... t=1&f=1008

Should mention that the NPR story says that the album was recorded in New Orleans, not in LA as previosuly stated.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:EC/Toussaint album completed. There was a nice story about the project on NPR this morning, that offers some little tidbits from the recording sessions. Sounds very promising indeed!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... t=1&f=1008
One of the songs that they have recorded is River In Reverse. You can hear rehearsels of the song.
And the releasedate is going to be: early spring!!!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

johnfoyle wrote:Pete Thomas was delighted to be in the same drum booth as used by the Meters' Ziggy Modeliste
Great name! Great band.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bobster

Post by bobster »

If there are live shows, it'd would most cool if they included "Walking on Thin Ice" (and, oh yeah, "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror" would be nice too).
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

sweetest punch wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:EC/Toussaint album completed.
Sounds very promising indeed!
And the release date is going to be: early spring!!!
Woohoo!... Can't wait to hear how this album will sound.
johnfoyle

Elvis/Toussaint on Nightline , Dec.22

Post by johnfoyle »

According to contributors to Listerv , ABC News: Nightline had a report on the recording session in New Orleans ; comments posted include -

'All of the Imposters and Elvis and
Alan all together!! It's gonna be great!! They used the drums they had
at the Oxford show!!!'

' We get a bit of "All These Things" which sounds fabulous!! And then
"Help Brother?" with a great horn section! It features Elvis and the
Imposters plus Alan's guitarist Anthony Brown. Alan talks a bit about
rebuilding NOLA and says that music is a huge part of it.'

The show's site -
http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/

- has a photo of Elvis .
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

For those who missed it, here's the audio of the Nightline report:

http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3LHU ... 7OO65CM1Y6
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Interesting article about Toussaint has this:

http://offbeat.com/artman/publish/article_1285.shtml

Although both Toussaint and Thomas lost their homes to Hurricane Katrina, they are busy working again. Among other projects, Toussaint just finished up a recording with Elvis Costello at Piety Street Studios that will be released in Spring 2006. Toussaint had previously produced the Yoko Ono song “Walking On Thin Ice” for Costello’s Punch The Clock.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.avatarstudios.net/news/whos_in/index.html

Who's (Been) In

November 2005

Muse
John Mayer Trio
Donald Fagen
Dashboard Confessional
Bo Bice
Joe Sample
Allen Toussaint
Paul Motian
Hiromi Uehara & Akiko Yano
Sweeney Todd cast
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1001842064

(extract)

Costello's recent collaborations with Allen Toussaint will appear on "The River in Reverse," due in May via Verve Forecast. As first reported here, the material on the set includes new songs co-written by Costello and Toussaint, as well as fresh versions of several vintage Toussaint songs.

With producer Joe Henry, the pair recorded in November in Toussaint's native New Orleans with Costello's band, the Imposters, and several members of Toussaint's band. Conducted amid the city's massive recovery effort, the sessions are thought to be among the first there since Hurricane Katrina struck in late August.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?i ... sueNum=136

Gypsy Soul
Joe Henry exercises his creative wanderlust at Largo

~ By STEVE APPLEFORD ~

1-12-06

Joe Henry looks good in a suit. He seems comfortable there, elegant and self-contained, a rocker with a jazzman’s jones for oblique, soulful melody. See him up onstage, and Henry is a brooding wiseguy amid waves of delicate sound and powerful feeling, wading deep into swirls of love and regret and sudden twists of fate, and sounding at peak moments like a man about ready to bounce out of that suit. Except that he never does.

His specialty is controlled passion, with sounds solemn and smoky, and words of a certain literary flair for the serious and darkly comic. Emotion and drama are not about volume and buckets of tears, but smoldering intensity layered with shimmering, echoing, undulating sounds at the margins. Don Cherry once called Henry’s sound “gypsy music,” which seems about right, as Henry wanders between obsessions, from freeform bop to Dylan’s Basement Tapes.

At Largo on Saturday, January 7, Henry was back in that groove, just playing for laughs on a familiar stage with no new album to sell, or even one in the works. He had just two new songs to play, and he began alone behind the piano, all buttoned up (no tie), and then alone again behind an acoustic guitar, returning to a sound unusually spare and uncomplicated for him now. But soon he was joined by his four-piece band of the moment, delivering on the soft, raw atmospheres of Fuse and Scar and Tiny Voices, albums that broke Henry free from his heartland singer-songwriter rut of the ’80s.

One of his new songs was “Civil War,” an understated and regretful tune, full of sweat and passion and elegant, overlapping guitars and the mysterious keyboard sounds of a serene Patrick Warren. Later came the title song from Scar, an achingly romantic confession that, he told the crowd, had to be played on this night and every night – or he’d risk answering to his wife.

“I can live with your disappointment,” he joked, waving off a long list of shouted requests. “I don’t know you.”

Henry still gets on the cover of No Depression magazine these days, but his time as a twangy heartland troubadour is long behind him. He is a man who once recorded an entire album with the Jayhawks and still grew up to play with Ornette Coleman (the monumental “Richard Pryor Addresses a Tearful Nation”). He’s also become a great record producer of soul, and maybe a candidate for this century’s Willie Mitchell, beginning with Solomon Burke’s Don’t Give Up on Me in 2002. Henry came off like a genius for simply doing the obvious and previously unattainable, by setting the great man’s voice against a fitting backdrop of soul that was simultaneously connected to Burke’s era and subtly modern. Custom tunes written by Dylan, Costello, Waits, Lowe, etc., didn’t hurt either.

His latest production, I Believe to My Soul, is another inspired communion with classic soul, as sung by the likes of Ann Peebles, Billy Preston, Mavis Staples, Irma Thomas, and Allen Toussaint. And he’s currently at work on another album with Toussaint and Elvis Costello. He’s busy like that, which is maybe not so mysterious for a guy who went to high school in Detroit, privately worshipping Ray Charles. Now his own 14-year-old is a bop saxman. Must run in the family.
But even if Henry had never stepped into that producer’s role, he would still be a musician making the best work of his career. There were some fine moments in the early days, but he’s long since abandoned the twang for something more, something deeper, even as he knows that pop radio will somehow lose the memo. At Largo, he winked at the crowd after one somber tune and joked, “How are the young people taking this? All right?” They were just fine. And nobody was about to complain about the sounds and wisdom of this next-generation soul man.

1-12-06
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's the press release that the 'papers have been re-writing -

http://www.shorefire.com/artists/ecoste ... 11_06.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 11, 2006

RELEASE OF TWO NEW ALBUMS, SPRING TOUR IN 2006

'MY FLAME BURNS BLUE' SET FOR FEB. 28 RELEASE ON DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON

MUSICIAN COLLABORATES WITH NEW ORLEANS LEGEND ALLEN TOUSSAINT FOR NEW ALBUM 'THE RIVER IN REVERSE' ON VERVE FORECAST

13-DATE ORCHESTRAL TOUR KICKS OFF MARCH 27

January 11, 2006-- Elvis Costello is kicking off 2006 with a number of projects on the way. He is preparing for the February 28 release of his concert album 'My Flame Burns Blue,' is planning a 2006 tour with local symphonies, and has collaborated with New Orleans legend Allen Toussaint on a new album.

# Deutsche Grammophon will release Costello's 'My Flame Burns Blue' on February 28. A live concert album recorded at the Hague with the Metropole Orkest, the package also includes a bonus disc with a forty-five minute suite from "Il Sogno," his first full length orchestral work. 'My Flame Burns Blue' features imaginatively reinvented Costello favorites like "Almost Blue," "Clubland" and "Watching the Detectives" along with Costello compositions seeing release on record for the first time. The album also includes a Charles Mingus composition and a Billy Strayhorn song with Costello's lyrics.

In his liner notes, the musician writes, "This record may explain what I've been doing during the last twelve years when I haven't had an electric guitar in my hands… This recording captures a very joyful evening at the North Sea Jazz Festival and collects together songs and arrangements that have been developed over the last decade."

# Costello is planning a tour for spring 2006, kicking off March 27 in San Francisco. He will collaborate with a local symphony for each performance, which will begin with a suite from "Il Sogno." After an intermission, the musician will return to sing songs from 'My Flame Burns Blue' and others from his catalog with Steve Nieve and the local orchestra. See tour dates below.

Upon the release of "Il Sogno," The Boston Globe's Richard Dyer wrote, "You'd have to go back to George Gershwin to find a composer-performer undertaking a project as ambitious as 'Il Sogno'… It is full of character and storytelling, and the orchestration is skillful, unusual, and colorful."

# Sessions for Costello's album with Allen Toussaint wrapped recently in New Orleans, with initial Los Angeles sessions taking place in late November. New and classic Toussaint compositions will be included on 'The River in Reverse' along with several songs co-written by the two musicians. The project will feature Costello's band The Imposters, Toussaint's horn section and guitarist, and is produced by Joe Henry (Aimee Mann, Susan Tedeschi, Solomon Burke, Bettye LaVette). The recording of the album represents the first major sessions to take place in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina.

Toussaint previously produced a 1983 Costello cover of Yoko Ono's "Walking on Thin Ice" with the Attractions and The T.K.O. Horns. Toussaint also contributed piano to the New Orleans-recorded "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror" from Costello's 1989 album 'Spike.' 'The River in Reverse' is set for release in May on Verve Forecast.

Elvis Costello US Tour Dates 2006
Date City Venue
Monday, March 27 San Francisco Davies Symphony Hall
Friday, March 31 Honolulu, HI Neal S. Blaisdell Center
Saturday, April 1 Honolulu, HI Neal S. Blaisdell Center
Sunday April 2 Maui, HI Maui Arts & Cultural Center
Tuesday, April 11 Austin, TX Bass Concert Hall
Thursday, April 13 Houston, TX Jesse H. Jones Hall
Tuesday, April 18 Chicago, IL Orchestra Hall
Thursday, April 20 Baltimore, MD The Music Center at Strathmore
Friday, April 21 Baltimore, MD Meyerhoff Symphony Hall
Saturday, April 22 Baltimore, MD Meyerhoff Symphony Hall
Wednesday, May 10 Boston, MA Symphony Hall
Friday, May 12 Brooklyn, NY Brooklyn Academy Of Music
Saturday, May 13 Atlanta, GA Fox Theatre
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I guess a note about Elvis 'borrowing' this title would have been too confusing for the above !

ImageImage

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... nce&n=5174

From a Whisper to a Scream
Allen Toussaint
Jan. 1970

From a Whisper to a Scream

(alan toussaint)

From a whisper in the wind
To a loud scream
The message came
That I’d lost you
To the warmth of another man

I’ve seen more tears fall from your eyes
Than all the showers of april
I took kindness for granted
As if it came with the wallpaper

So inconsiderate of how much you cared
For some stupid reason, I just thought you had to be there
Oh my love
Oh my love
Oh my love
Oh my love

I simply must have been crazy
Or I must have been out of my mind
For me to overlook the need in you
Tell me, how could I have been so blind

Never giving thoughts to your wants and needs
Now I’m begging you please
Oh my love
Oh my love

So inconsiderate of how much you cared
For some stupid reason, I just thought you had to be there
Oh my love
Oh my love
Oh my love
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv -

There is a Q & A with EC and Allen T. on the RS website. You can
download a 9 minute mp3 wherein David Fricke raves about what he heard in
the studio and gives a few details of the record. The interview itself
is not very newsworthy. I can't get any print version to appear, there
may be a print equivalent in the newsstand copies.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/9143437

Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint: The Rolling Stone
Q&A

Posted Jan 12, 2006 5:53 PM
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:From listserv -

There is a Q & A with EC and Allen T. on the RS website. You can
download a 9 minute mp3 wherein David Fricke raves about what he heard in
the studio and gives a few details of the record. The interview itself
is not very newsworthy. I can't get any print version to appear, there
may be a print equivalent in the newsstand copies.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/9143437

Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint: The Rolling Stone
Q&A

Posted Jan 12, 2006 5:53 PM
We learned that they recorded one week in Los Angeles and one week in New Orleans. The recorded Allen Toussaint classics include: Brother, Freedom For The Stallion, With You In Mind and What Do You Want A Girl To Do? They recorded also several new EC songs (including The River In Reverse), along with new co-written songs.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Freedom For The Stallion
Allen Toussaint

Freedom for the stallion
Freedom for the mare and the colt
Freedom for the baby child
Who's not grown old enough to vote.
Lord have mercy, what you gonna do
About the people that are prayin' to you?
Men makin' laws to destroy other men
Made money God, it's a doggone sin.
Oh Lord, you got to help us find a way.

Big ships sailin'
Slaves all chained and bound
Headin' for another land
That some cat says he's up and found.
They got men makin' laws to destroy other men
Made money God, it's a doggone sin.
Oh Lord.

Freedom for the stallion
That not grown old enough to vote.
Well, when i look into my mind
It's the truth that i find.
Oh Lord, you gotta help us find a way.

Freedom for the stallion
Who's not grown old enough to vote.
Lord have mercy what you gonna do
When i look into my mind
It's the truth that i find.
Oh Lord, you gotta help us find a way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With You in Mind

(allen toussaint)

With you in mind, things just ain't bad as they seem
With you in mind, I can fill my wildest dreams
With you in mind, I can do anything, I know I can
With you in mind
With you in mind

With you in mind, I went out looking for the best
With you in mind, cause you deserve nothing less
With you in mind, I've done so many things that love can bring
With you in mind
With you in mind

Like a flower drinking from the falling rain
Or the same rain that could wash it away
Gives it strength, gives it water
And before you know, another day

Or the same rain that could wash it away

The same rain that could wash it away

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Do You Want The Girl To Do

(Allan Toussaint)

(so...)
So you think the girl is crazy
To eat up your lies like it's good
(Your lies like apple pie)
(She don't even cry)
She is not a fool
She's just tryin' to do what her heart says to
To love you
And as you t
ake to the wind
(to the wind again she breaks down)
And as she breaks down within (within, within)
Pre-chorus:
She waits for you patiently
Hopin' that someday you'll see
[ That] all she really wants to be
Is yours and your
s alone, eternally
Chorus:
What do you want the girl to do
[ Don't you know] you're breakin' the child in two
[ Can't you see]
All she really wants is you
She knows what you are
Still she'll be your queen if you let
her
(Just say the word today)
(Build the world around her)
Now and then you'll promise
All the way-out things you're goin' to get her
(You will see, you will see)
(You're so damn glad you found her, found her, years ago)
'Cause ma
ybe she knows better
As she watched you come and go (all you'll show)
And as she watched your promises erode
[repeat pre-chorus]
[repeat chorus]
Don't you know you're breakin' the child in two
What do you want the girl
to do
Can't you see you're breakin' the child in two [fade]
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

This seems as good a place as any to mention that our boy will be contributing to a documentary in the Imagine series, called Sweet Home New Orleans. Tuesday BBC1 10:35 pm.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

sweetest punch wrote:

We learned that they recorded one week in Los Angeles and one week in New Orleans. The recorded Allen Toussaint classics include: Brother, Freedom For The Stallion, With You In Mind and What Do You Want A Girl To Do? They recorded also several new EC songs (including The River In Reverse), along with new co-written songs.
What Do You Want A Girl To Do? is a great song, particularly Lowell Georges version, cant wait to hear how Elvis tackles it. A potential smash hit in a perfect world.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

From that Amazon link:

This is the best record in the history of western civilzation, October 13, 2005

Reviewer: lowellonmeds "lowellonmeds" (usa) - See all my reviews
look..Ive heard it all..I have a almost music degree, played in new orleans, ny, seen everone live, been a roadie, a music critic, studied with mny, saw zappa and all the rest...The guy was the real deal..if you never heard lowell george on his own or with little feat you missed a chapter of almost the best music of the 60-79 scene...He wrote a million songs and recordeed a hundred..Willin and Dont Bogart that Joint are his originals, but there are many others and he covers the best of allen tousaint and the other stuff with little feat is absolutely flawless..For an LA band they were impossibly funky and lowell was the begining and the nd of little feat to most folks..I love little feat but I ADORE LOWELL GEORGE and I PLAY JAZZ...Ive lived in New Orleans, played jazz, funk, of all the white guys who ever lived this guy was the best..So says me and a few others..ask mick jagger in 1975 or say, eric clapton or taj mahal, to name a few...or anyone from la to chicago...to NY to sau paulo..NOBODY did it better than Lowell..ask Bonnie Raitt, Randy Newman, Tom waitts, Lida Rondstand, Emmy Lou Harris, Paul Simon...This is the best record he ever recorded and I dare anyone to say otherwise. just listen and If you are not convinced Ill pay the price of te record and shipping and by it back from you.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verena

Post by verena »

Very nice choice of songs. I'll be waiting for the music.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nola.com/entertainment/t-p/i ... 176100.xml

Elvis and the King

Months after they met at a Katrina benefit in New York City, rocker Elvis Costello and New Orleans legend Allen Toussaint make remarkable music together in the Bywater

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

By Keith Spera
Music writer

On a dreary afternoon in December, Allen Toussaint and Elvis Costello sit astride a grand piano in a Bywater studio, equally dapper, eminently inspired.

Ostensibly, they are posing for a photographer. But with the tools of their trade so close at hand, they cannot resist.

At Costello's request, Toussaint lays his hands upon the keys and conjures a spooky, minor-key variation on the Professor Longhair classic "Tipitina."

Soon Costello joins in. In his ragged glory of voice, he preaches a sermon of queens in waiting and people pleading and no birds singing, alternate lyrics he's titled "Ascension Day."

"We'll all be together," he sings, emoting for an audience of two, "come Ascension Day."

The final note drifts away. A long, pregnant pause follows, until Costello breaks the silence.

"That was pretty, wasn't it?"

Yes, it was. Toussaint smiles, pleased.

He and Costello hail from different worlds. The genteel Toussaint is an icon of New Orleans music, a Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame pianist, songwriter and producer. The brash, British-born Costello first made a name for himself as a scrappy, New Wave songwriter with Buddy Holly glasses, outsized ambitions and a massive chip on his shoulder.

But each possesses an innate gift for plumbing the emotional depths of lyric and melody. And together, they have forged a simpatico partnership.

Costello had long admired Toussaint from afar. In Hurricane Katrina's aftermath, they shared stages at a series of benefit concerts in New York. Costello subsequently resolved to record an album with Toussaint, consisting of classics, long-forgotten gems and fresh collaborations.

Like "Ascension Day," the overall project synthesizes their sensibilities. Costello chose much of the material; Toussaint arranged it. Steve Nieve, the keyboardist in Costello's band, the Imposters, played organ; Toussaint handled the piano. The Imposters rhythm section backs the Toussaint horn section. Costello solos over a foundation laid down by Anthony Brown, Toussaint's guitarist.

They commenced at Hollywood's Sunset Studio in late November, then moved to Piety Street Studio, a converted Bywater post office that narrowly escaped Katrina's floodwaters, for a week in December. Verve Records plans to release the finished album, "The River in Reverse," in May.

"Elvis is a scholar of the music," Toussaint said. "He loves New Orleans music, as well as music from everywhere. This will be New Orleans flavor, on an Elvis Costello CD."

. . . . . . .

Both Toussaint and Costello have orchestrated prolific careers across the spectrum of popular music.

Toussaint is New Orleans music's renaissance man. His 40-year résumé as a producer and songwriter is laden with marquee names and melodies: Lee Dorsey. Irma Thomas. Aaron and Art Neville. Dr. John. The Meters. "Working In a Coal Mine." "Southern Nights." "Java." "Mother-in-Law." "Fortune Teller."

In the late 1970s, Costello, heart on his sleeve and devil may care, delivered urgent, literate dispatches with punkish attitude. He's evolved into a versatile, tireless and much-loved performer and songwriter, writing with everyone from his wife, jazz singer Diana Krall, to 1960s pop composer Burt Bacharach and Sir Paul McCartney.

New Orleans has occasionally factored into Costello's creative process. The Dirty Dozen Brass Band guested on his 1989 album "Spike." He dubbed his most recent tour "The Monkey Speaks His Mind," after a song by Dave Bartholomew, Fats Domino's producer and co-writer.

And a young Costello admired Toussaint's songwriting, if unwittingly.

"I now know that I knew a lot of Allen's songs, but I didn't know he'd written them," said Costello, nattily attired in a jacket, tie, scarf and sunglasses, during a break at Piety Street. "I didn't know he'd written 'Fortune Teller' and many staples of the beat groups in England when I was a kid.

"The first records that he produced that really struck me and I got curious about were the Lee Dorsey records, because they sounded so unique. Then the legend of who this person was grew up: Oh, he's the person who wrote that song and that one and that one, and did the arrangements, and produced them. As you get more curious, you get deeper into it."

Toussaint, New Orleans chic in blazer, slacks and sandals, confessed to not being as familiar with Costello's catalog.

"I'm sorry to say I wasn't. I have gotten familiar since, and let me tell you, he has been very busy. Very busy. He's going to be very tired when he gets to heaven.

"And it's quality stuff. He's a very high-quality person, and a very heart-filled person. And he's so wide awake."

Were it not for Katrina, Toussaint might not have discovered just how wide awake.

As Toussaint rode out Katrina alone in the Astor Crowne Plaza on Bourbon Street, Costello was in Vancouver, receiving reports from a friend at the Windsor Court. As the city flooded, Toussaint boarded a school bus to Baton Rouge, then caught a flight to New York City, now his home in exile.

Six days after Katrina, Costello performed Toussaint's "Freedom for the Stallion" at the Bumbershoot festival in Seattle, "just because I felt like it." He closed the set with another Toussaint composition, "All These Things."

A few days later, Wynton Marsalis invited Costello to a benefit concert at Lincoln Center. Costello in turn asked Toussaint to join him on "Freedom for the Stallion." Afterward, the musicians retired to Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola, a small venue within the Lincoln Center complex.

"It was just like an after-hours session that you read about in books but you rarely see with musicians of that caliber," Costello said. "Ellis Marsalis and Marcus Roberts taking turns on a piano stool. Wynton would play a chorus, then Cassandra Wilson would get up and sing. Robin Williams improvised a song called 'Red Beans and Condoleezza Rice.' We were there until 4 in the morning, just watching."

The next afternoon, Costello saw Toussaint perform at Joe's Pub, a Manhattan club.

"About halfway through the show," Costello said, "I thought, 'It's time to do this (record).' "

He was even more convinced after the Sept. 20 "From the Big Apple to the Big Easy" benefit at Madison Square Garden, when Toussaint and his band backed a succession of stars, including Costello. The following Saturday, they shared a bill at a benefit sponsored by The New Yorker. Costello debuted a song he'd written that afternoon, "The River in Reverse."

Days later, Costello received a call from a Verve Records executive, proposing a joint album with Toussaint.

"So I wasn't the only one thinking this was a good idea," he said.

. . . . . . .

Costello and Toussaint blocked out time in early December. Costello enlisted Joe Henry to produce the record. The avant-punk singer-songwriter's successful second career as a producer includes a Grammy for soul singer Solomon Burke's acclaimed 2002 comeback album, "Don't Give Up On Me." In 2005, Henry gathered together Toussaint, Irma Thomas, Ann Peebles, Billy Preston and Mavis Staples for "I Believe to My Soul," a contemporary record that taps into the spirit of classic soul.

Costello and Toussaint framed their recording as a "meeting," Costello said. "It is a dialogue between people from different parts of the world. At this moment, even the New Orleans people don't live in New Orleans."

The blueprint would not mimic "Painted From Memory," Costello's 1998 collaboration with Burt Bacharach.

"We were commissioned to write one song up front, and we liked that so much, we wrote 11 more," Costello said of the Bacharach project. "With this, I began with the thought that in the '50s, Ella Fitzgerald, for example, would do a songbook record. It was not unusual in those days, because very few performers wrote their own songs. I thought, 'Why can't that exist today?' "

The lesser-known songs in the Toussaint catalog appealed to Costello.

"I wouldn't perhaps choose 'Southern Nights' or 'Working in a Coal Mine.' They're great songs, and they certainly don't need to be sung again by me.

"The songs that I love, some are more off the beaten track. Even Allen expressed surprise at a couple of my choices. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be heard again. And when you hear the record, you'll understand why."

Toussaint trusted Costello's instincts.

"He always asked my opinion: Did I think he could do this one or that one well?" Toussaint said. "With his nature, he could do any of them well, to be perfectly frank. I never would have thought of things like 'Wonder Woman,' something I wrote for Lee Dorsey so many years ago. Or 'Tears, Tears and More Tears.' "

For his part, Costello respected Toussaint's arrangements.

"The horn arrangements and background voices are all part of the composition," Costello said. "They're not just things that have been added on, the way they sometimes are in recordings. If you take those building blocks away, you don't have as much. Every element fits together. That gives you strength."

What sets their new renditions apart, Costello said, "is my voice and the personalities of the players on the record."

Those personalities include the horns. Toussaint says he "has to have New Orleans horns all the time." To that end, he recruited Brian "Breeze" Cayolle and Amadee Castenell on tenor saxophones, "Big" Sam Williams on trombone -- who, Toussaint said, "is extremely impressive to everyone" -- and trumpeter Joe Fox, formerly of 1970s funk ensemble Chocolate Milk.

"He lives in Birmingham now," Toussaint said, "but he is definitely one of us. He has that New Orleans-ism."

. . . . . . .

Writing together deepened Costello and Toussaint's connection.

"When you co-write songs, you try and open up a conversation," Costello said. "On 'Where Is the Love,' I made the opening statement, then Allen responded. On another one, we literally wrote, change by change, how it should resolve; I had the opening but couldn't seem to close it.

"On another one, Allen came in with a whole piece of music that was already finished and didn't need anything musically from me. So I was the lyricist. We went from never having written together to trying out all the different ways you might collaborate."

Toussaint was impressed with his new partner's work ethic and skills.

"He has such a mind for the music, and he's always about what he does," Toussaint said. "If we were collaborating on something, the next day he would have loads to bring to the table. He's always working on so many things. And not just scraps -- he takes things to their completion. He has covered continents, such a wide range. And he's welcome in so many areas."

Toussaint's minor-key "Tipitina," showcased on the recent Katrina benefit CD "Our New Orleans," inspired Costello to write fresh lyrics. And so "Ascension Day" was born.

"That's the way music goes," Costello said. "In classical music days, they used to do variations on a theme. As Allen would say, Professor Longhair is the Bach of New Orleans music. 'Ascension Day' isn't better than the original, it's just a variation on the original for the present moment."

Costello says his new compositions "live in the present moment. Which inevitably means they reflect things that have occurred, or what you might feel about those things."

So are they informed by Katrina?

"As Allen said, very wisely, you want to leave space in the material for other people's imaginations. You try to make a song, not a speech."

Still, subtle changes convey much.

"When I wanted to sing 'On the Way Down,' I asked Allen, 'Is it all right if I leave out the word "girl" in the second verse?' Because I'm not meaning it about a girl who's left her neighborhood behind.

"It's pretty clear what I mean," Costello said. "There are promises that need to be kept here (in New Orleans). And if there was ever a moment for a song about dignity, like 'Freedom for the Stallion,' it's now. It's a timeless song. Other songs, like 'Who's Going to Help Brother Get Further,' sound like they could have been written yesterday.

"It's not for me to assume that I have the definitive rendition, but I can take it to some people that haven't heard it."

. . . . . . .

After he arrived in New Orleans, Costello drove through the 9th Ward, reinforcing the decision to record some of the project in New Orleans.

"It felt right," Costello said. "Although I didn't write any of the material here, to have certain things that you felt or imagined confirmed . . . That drive the other morning? That confirmed it.

"This was always a welcoming city. But I've never known people so ready to talk about their own experience, inevitably because it was catastrophic. People will open up and tell you a lot of history. I've had a lot of interesting conversations just wandering around."

His conversation with Toussaint will likely intrigue fans of both.

"This has been a concentrated collaboration," Toussaint said, "and I'm glad it happened. It's been quite enriching."

. . . . . . .

Music writer Keith Spera can be reached at kspera@timespicayune.com or (504) 826-3470.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

We must be pretty close to having a complete list of songs:

1. All These Things
2. The River In Reverse (Costello original)
3. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?
4. Freedom For The Stallion
5. With You In Mind
6. What Do You Want The Girl To Do?
7. Ascension Day (adaptation of Tipitina with new Costello lyrics)
8. Wonder Woman
9. Tears, Tears And More Tears
10. Where Is The Love (Costello/Toussaint original)
11. On The Way Down
12 & 13. at least two more Costello/Toussaint originals
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

'Fortune Teller' is also a likely inclusion , even though Elvis merely mentions it as a song that he only later learnt was by Toussaint.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

And No Coffee Table wrote:We must be pretty close to having a complete list of songs:

1. All These Things
2. The River In Reverse (Costello original)
3. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?
4. Freedom For The Stallion
5. With You In Mind
6. What Do You Want The Girl To Do?
7. Ascension Day (adaptation of Tipitina with new Costello lyrics)
8. Wonder Woman
9. Tears, Tears And More Tears
10. Where Is The Love (Costello/Toussaint original)
11. On The Way Down
12 & 13. at least two more Costello/Toussaint originals
hmmm...just 4 new songs?
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

At Costello's request, Toussaint lays his hands upon the keys and conjures a spooky, minor-key variation on the Professor Longhair classic "Tipitina."
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=2885

The Clarksdale Sessions

And No Coffee Table writes -
Tipitina: This is not listed anywhere on the packaging, and I don't know if it should really be considered its own track. Elvis shouts the title of this Professor Longhair song, and the band launches into a 30-second instrumental which is certainly similar to "Tipitina," although it may not be quite close enough (or long enough) to require paying any royalties.