Tower of musical shame

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Out: Aerosmith
In: Jeff Buckley (he stinks these days)

1. Bonnie "Prince" Billy
2. Pink Floyd
3. Rod Stewart
4. Jeff Buckley
5. Michael Jackson
6. Mike Love's Beach Boys
7. B-52s
8. Robbie Robertson
9 KISS
10 Little Feat
corruptio optimi pessima
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Out: KISS
In: Queen
KISS shouldn't be ashamed of themselves, because they've always been shameless.

'Queen' though, is going around with another singer. They should call themselves Queen Mark II or something, not 'Queen' anymore... just so it is easier to differentiate from what they did with Freddie.

1. Bonnie "Prince" Billy
2. Pink Floyd
3. Rod Stewart
4. Jeff Buckley
5. Michael Jackson
7. B-52s
8. Robbie Robertson
9. "Queen"
10 Little Feat
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Out: Pink Floyd
In: Whitesnake

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason is where I got in and I still really like most of it, On The Turning Away and Sorrow especially. What I've heard from The Division Bell sounds alright too, & they're still really good live if you're into that polished thing. They'd changed creative leaders before so keeping the name's fine with me, but maybe they should call it David Gilmour's Pink Floyd or something.

Now that all the sleazy hard rockers are gone from the list I can add my own fave: Whitesnake was the first rock band I liked as a kid & I still love their first six or so albums (and Coverdale's solo Northwinds in particular)that are really bluesy and soulful behind the horny exterior and have very little to do with heavy metal. I still feel sick when I think of the awful Zeppelin-played-Bryan-Adams-style-featuring-Steve-Vai shit Coverdale turned them into to make it big in America. I know very few of you will agree that they were once great but it's the only band I've ever loved that I actually thought sold out. God, I hate John Sykes.

1. Bonnie "Prince" Billy
2. Whitesnake
3. Rod Stewart
4. Jeff Buckley
5. Michael Jackson
7. B-52s
8. Robbie Robertson
9. "Queen"
10 Little Feat
What this world needs is more silly men.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I have those Whitesnake LPs tucked away. And Northwinds - especially Breakdown and the title track, some of those early Coverdale vocals are amazing. My favourite is probably Ready And Willing, but like Saints And Sinners a lot too - cos it's got the original Crying In The Rain and Here I Go Again and I like the grittier sound, I agree -- I have two versions of Slide It In on LP - a European one, and the US one with Sykes' guitar parts, I know what you mean about them selling out. Liked 1987 and Slip Of The Tongue though. Poor Adrian Vandenberg, he never got to record on those albums (injured), only later. I got a laugh out of seeing on the LP sleeve of SOTT in the smallest print "All guitar parts were recorded by Steve Vai".
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

bambooneedle wrote:And Northwinds - especially Breakdown and the title track, some of those early Coverdale vocals are amazing.
I haven't heard any white soulster top Time & Again, but I'd like to hear someone like John Hiatt or Nick Lowe try. In fact, there's lots of great covers waiting to happen there but I think people are too put off by the hard rock tag to check the songs out.

Imagine Mavis Staples or the Blind Boys Of Alabama doing some of the gospelly stuff like Ain't Gonna Cry No More or Give Me Kindness, or a Joe Henry-type production on Help Me Thro The Day. I'd love to think one of the J. Henrys could actually rescue Coverdale but I think he's Plant-screeched himself out of the game.

(Sorry about hijacking the thread, but Bamboo's one of the three people - myself included - I know who's heard the great Northwinds album. Back to the list!)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I will admit to not being familiar with Northwinds, but I have no time for Whitesnake in any way, shape, or form. Slide It In was a crappy album in all versions. The performances were sincere, but yecchhh. I'll take me some UFO anyday- a band that wasn't trying to co-opt the blues as much as reimagining them completely.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

KH - I actually have Coverdale's first solo album as well as Northwinds on the one CD (it came like that). Do you know that one, or the Snakebite EP? Only My Soul and Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City could make for good covers too.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Out: Jeff Buckley (har, har)
In: Iggy Pop (great in the 70s, what have you done for us lately?)

1. Bonnie "Prince" Billy
2. Whitesnake
3. Rod Stewart
4. Iggy Pop
5. Michael Jackson
7. B-52s
8. Robbie Robertson
9. "Queen"
10 Little Feat
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

(to Bamboo - Maybe we should pm about this rather than use this thread but yeah I know everything. About pre-Sykes Whitesnake, that is. There's nothing great on Coverdale's debut, but Hole In The Sky and the original Blindman is quite good and I'm glad he recut it with the band. Have you heard the acapella-with-a-faint-keyboard live version of that one coupled with Soldier Of Fortune, btw? I agree about Only My Soul too, and Ain't No Love...IS a good cover. I even prefer it to the Bobby Bland version it's most likely adapted from.)