Costello/Toussaint DVD - Hot As A Pistol/Keen As A Blade

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

On Amazon UK it's region 1 only and requires NTSC TV compatibility, which I guess I don't have. Would still play on the computer, though, no?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:On Amazon UK it's region 1 only and requires NTSC TV compatibility, which I guess I don't have. Would still play on the computer, though, no?
Maybe - Maybe not. I travel a lot for work and like to watch dvds on my Dell laptop. After five plays of region 1 discs - I received a message that the disc drive would now permanently be set for region one (this was a UK pc) and I would be unable to play other region dvds.

Though I hear that most dvd players today have a hack that will allow you to make it region free - usually involves a sequence of commands through the remote. I was never able to find a hack for the laptop.

Before I moved over here I bought a region free dvd player that is kind of a piece of shit - but will mostly play dvds from the US or UK.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/cl-et-dv ... v-features

Los Angeles Times

Elvis lover in the house? Rocio Durcal fan? TV junkie? Here are some ideas for them.

By Randy Lewis;Robert Lloyd; Agustin Gurza
Times Staff Writer

December 23, 2006

(extract)

Running short on inspiration for gifts as the 11th hour of holiday shopping approaches? Consider these ideas for noteworthy DVDs that might have escaped your attention.

Pop Music

Pop music DVDs are as plentiful and varied as the far-reaching field they spring from. Here are several spotlighting fallen heroes, one showcasing a tragically underappreciated band and one celebrating an inspired transatlantic pairing.

"Hot as a Pistol, Keen as a Blade" (Hip-O, $19.98).
Elvis Costello and celebrated New Orleans producer-songwriter Allen Toussaint collaborated on one of the year's most powerful albums, "The River in Reverse," much of which reflects on the devastation of Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. This DVD captures two hours' worth of their joint concert tour from a performance in Montreal, recorded in 5.1 surround sound. In addition to performances of eight songs from the "River" album, the show included new arrangements of several of each artist's signature songs, among them Costello's "Watching the Detectives," "Alison" and "Clubland," and Toussaint's "Fortune Teller" and "A Certain Girl."
GCM

Post by GCM »

The DVD arrived in sunny Hamilton today, courtesy of Amazon. And all for just under a tenner including postage, all the way from Florida.

The good news is that it says it will play on all regions, so no dvd machine jiggery-pokery should be needed.

The bad news is that it has been taken away from me until Monday!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://music.phoenixnewtimes.com/Issues ... =music_rss

Phoenix New Times

Shrapnel

The Other Elvis

With a coat of Toussaint
By Ed Masley

Dec 28, 2006

If any good can be said to have come of what Elvis Costello refers to here as "a fearsome chain of events started out by a mean-tempered woman called Katrina and ably assisted by some nincompoops and incompetents," you could start with Costello's rekindled relationship with American R&B royalty Allen Toussaint. The 24-song concert DVD Hot As a Pistol, Keen As a Blade (Hip-O Records) effortlessly picks up where The River in Reverse, their first collaboration since Toussaint sat in on "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror," left off earlier this year. They dig a good deal deeper than that album's wealth of highlights, though, revisiting a number of Costello's early classics, "Pump It Up" included, in exciting new arrangements charted by Toussaint and brought to life here by the Crescent City Horns, New Orleans guitar hero Anthony Brown, and Costello's Impostors. As Costello tells the crowd, he'd hoped Toussaint could "bring a brand-new coat of paint" to a few of his songs. And that's exactly what he's done here, in addition to reviving several classics from his own back catalogue, including "Yes We Can Can" and the beat group staple "Fortune Teller."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

After a rather hectic holiday refitting my shop I finally got around to sitting through all of this disc. Musically it is excellent , great to hear a properly mixed presentation of the performances that I've enjoyed from audience recordings. Tears, Tears....., Chelsea ( especially the brass bit at the end) and Fortune Teller really steamed. Tears Before Bedtime is remarkably similar to the studio recording. Elvis is mistaken in saying it wasn't performed live at the time of Imperial Bedroom's release ; he and the Attractions played it in Dublin in Jan.'82 and many times the following summer in the U.S. (see http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1982-01-13)

To the casual fan this is indeed a great introduction to a dynamic partnership. The rest of us must be irked by sloppy editing that includes references to songs played on the evening but not included on the recording. At the time Scielle commented -

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... t=montreal

EC's like a little Energizer bunny up there, the man has such boundless energy, by 2.5 hours in people around me were shaking their heads not believing he's still at it, running around and 'conducting'. These 70-year-old grannies were in he row ahead of me and were dancing right along to every tune. And further down the same row a bunch of teens with vinatage EC t-shirts and buttons. Very cool. There was some bizarre towel-twirling thing happening during one of the encores - anyone know what that's about?

None of that is very evident on this recording. Music aside we keep seeing , besides a few stage side weavers towards the end, a very tame, respectful audience. Maybe the production company skimped on getting clearances or recording much non-stage footage.

Whatever - hopefully this a taster for some great shows this coming summer!

Another thing really struck me. It being nearly two years since I've seen Pete Thomas in action I'd forgotten how he sticks his chin out and seems to be grinding his teeth all the time. Quirkily his daughter Tennessee ,when I saw her with The Like in Dublin last Sept., had just the same mannerism .
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

A European release is scheduled for Februari 19, 2007!!

See: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Costello-Toussa ... UTF8&s=dvd
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Maybe the European edition will include some of the evening's songs not used on the North American version. I haven't the time or the inclination to check it out but perhaps the unused performances share a common copyright source, a source that proved problematic ( too expensive?) for getting clearance for use.

It would be a bit of a pain having paid for the current edtion but , hey, there's always a birthday or something......
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv-

I was away for a couple of weeks and the satellite recorded a show on
Bravo
(Canadian Version). Elvis Costello at the Montreal Jazz Festival (July
2006). They apparently are showing an hour from the festival each week
(http://www.bravo.ca <http> )

The following performances are shown:

What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?

Broken Promise Land

Freedom for the Stallion

The River in Reverse

Who's Gonna Help Brother .

Bedlam

Watching the Detectives

The Sharpest Thorn

There is a 'host' and she talks about Costello's career before each
video.

Only PLU is not on "Hot as a pistol ."
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

This show was briefly available on Dime, but was swiftly banned (as is only right and proper). I've been trying to track it down elsewhere, thus far with zilch luck.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:On Amazon UK it's region 1 only and requires NTSC TV compatibility, which I guess I don't have. Would still play on the computer, though, no?
I bought the Region 1 DVD already and it plays fine on my basic not-multi-region DVD player. And it was cheaper than it's being advertised as a UK version. It's extremely good, but isn't Pete looking old all of a sudden?
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Fishfinger king wrote:It's extremely good, but isn't Pete looking old all of a sudden?
I haven't seen it yet. Pete looking old could just be down to bad lighting.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've had two emails sent to me today about this. One from 101cd says the DVD will be released on 19th February and the other from eil.com says it will be released on 26th February. :?

It's available from both for pre-order though.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

And 101cd says it's only £11.95, which ain't bad.

http://www.101cd.com/detail.aspx?asptnr ... id=1739566

Mind you, cd-wow (who are always quick and reliable) are only £11.25, and also 19 Feb:

http://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_results_ ... de=1856784
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

HMV.co.uk - £9.99 delivered, although it is 26.02.07 release date.
Otis Westinghouse

Wow, now that is cheap. Though they'll probably be 2 weeks late delivering.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This Dutch site seems to have a Feb.8th release date -

http://www.plato.nl/plato/view.php?catalogue_id=176411

plato.nl prijs: EUR 21.50
drager: DVD
uitgebracht: 02/08/07
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Never had a problem with HMV, myself. Bang on with many, many orders. Occassionally there is a delay due to stock not arriving, but that tends to be mirrored by other online retailers.
Otis Westinghouse

They pissed me off over Christmas presents. Said my son's 'Guitar Hero' was in stock would arrive within a week, and a week later said it was out of stock and would not arrive before Christmas. So I cancelled and got it elsewhere.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

First Born had an interesting experience with hmv.co.uk. She ordered Green Wing Series I for c. £10, but they sent Series II.

An email from them suggested she post it back for an exchange. However, they didn't offer postage, so she took it to the shop instead, where she was given £18 (!!) cash refund.

A few days later Series II arrived in the post (!!!).

Result!

That's sticking it to the man!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Proof that shops still serve their purpose alongside the internet.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Listened this weekend to the Region 2 version. And I have to say that it's much better than I expected.
Maybe there are some details that could have been better (you see the cameramen, Elvis talks about songs that aren't included,...). But, considering that it was originally just taped for a TV broadcast, it captures the performance quiet well.
Especially the 5.1 surround mix sounds much, much better than the stereo TV mix. You hear a lot more detail. The horn arrangements sound cristal clear.
Could only the album The River In Reverse have that kind of sound...(or a 5.1 surround mix)!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Neil.

Post by Neil. »

watched this on the weekend. Some fantastic stuff!

Tears Before Bedtime sounded superb - reminds you of the days when Elvis's music was very British and poppy, before he became obsessed with becoming American and bluesy.

That said, you do feel his love for the music he's influenced by - all the duets with Toussaint are superb - really joyful. Freedom for the Stallion - and those marvellous pop songs in the later part, that I ain't heard before. Toussaint's a great singer and presence, and I agree with that journalist who questioned Elvis's leaving the Toussaint vocals off the River in Reverse album.

Yet again, the songs that don't stand up live are Pump It Up and Chelsea, and Clubland too. All these are such brittle, jerky constructions that they lose all their impact live. The studio versions are knockout, but they've never worked live, for me.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

The audience seem to be half dead for most of the show. Why do people pay to see world class musicians then seem reluctant even to clap let alone dance! I know we're all getting on a bit but is there a law against enjoying yourself?