Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

laughingcrow wrote:Anyone see the old firm game today....Celtic, er I mean Sweden were unlucky I thought...Holland break the hoodoo! Cracking game though!

Portugal vs Holland is gonna be some game....
Holland-Sweden was a great game. Man, Robben looks very good indeed, though I could do without the diving. He must be taking lessons from Van Horseface.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gerrard confirms he's taying at 'Pool. Just as well. I'm perfectly happy with our current options in midfield - Lampard, Makelele, Duff, Robben, Parker, Geremi, Cole.

What we really need is a striker - and we have one right under our nose - Forssell. But I fear that Abramovich has got hung up on trophy signings. Porto's success proves that the mega-star approach doesn't really get you anywhere. Mourihno seems to understand that, so hopefully Kenyon's disastrous record in landing players will be helpful in the long run.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Sam, do you not think Forssel will stay at Brum? It seems that they're spending a little bit of cash on players, and he was great for them...unless I've missed some big announcement saying that he's not staying.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

laughingcrow wrote:Sam, do you not think Forssel will stay at Brum? It seems that they're spending a little bit of cash on players, and he was great for them...unless I've missed some big announcement saying that he's not staying.
I think it has already been confirmed that he's staying at Brum. That's what I don't understand. We could clearly use him as a replacement for JFH or whichever of our other strikers is leaving (and I think at least one will leave), but Roman seems obsessed with trophy signings.

I would be very happy to see us close the checkbook right now and start next season with a smaller squad, but I don't think that will happen.

My theory about the Gerrard signing is that Liverpool did in fact ask for Duff and/or Parker plus cash in return. We said no, leaving Gerrard and Liverpool with no other option. From what I've heard, he didn't exactly look overjoyed at his press conference. Or maybe that's just the way he always looks! :wink:

The problem is that we end up looking bad - again. "Moneybags Chelsea snubbed by Gerrard" blah blah blah... Kenyon does a very poor job of managing transfers and transfer rumors. I really hate him with a passion.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I wouldn't hate Kenyon, he knows what he's doing. The more rumours that Chelsea are involved with, the higher their european profile...the better players/fans/sponshorship deals they can attract. (It's also really hard to be a club with money to burn, and not get linked to every player worth his salt) It won't affect any fees, cos everyone knows that they're loaded! :D

I don't think the 'Gerrard to stay/go?' thing is over yet. Man U have only signed one player so far!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Sam, that's the price you pay for having a sugar daddy!

Mourihno has said that he wants a smaller squad, and todays rumour is that Mutu is on his way. Chelsea really do need to sign a striker, Kanu is going for nothing, why don't they sign him. :lol: Or Wiltord? :lol:

The transfer market is likely to warm up now that July is almost here.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Sam, that's the price you pay for having a sugar daddy!

Mourihno has said that he wants a smaller squad, and todays rumour is that Mutu is on his way. Chelsea really do need to sign a striker.
Yes, I heard Mutu to Juve. There's been some talk about Chelsea getting Drogba, the Marseilles striker. I think we need one striker and a central defender, now that Desailly has completely lost it. Midfield I am not worried about.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Mwahahaha! Stevie's still ours! Though I wouldn't mind £30 million+ with Damien Duff thrown in.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:Mwahahaha! Stevie's still ours! Though I wouldn't mind £30 million+ with Damien Duff thrown in.
Frankly I'd rather have Duffer.

What about Boy Wonder? Are you going to re-sign him too?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Stand proud Liverpool. I'd hate to think what you would have done to him if he'd gone. Sounds like an episode of the Sopranos...

Threats sabotage transfer
By Wayne Veysey, Evening Standard
29 June 2004

Steven Gerrard had a dramatic last-minute change of heart over moving to Chelsea after his family were subject to a hate campaign by furious Liverpool fans.

The Anfield skipper arrived back from Portugal on Friday night ready to seal a £30million move to Stamford Bridge, together with personal terms that would have doubled his wages to £120,000 a week.

But the move was sabotaged within 24 hours of the midfielder returning to Merseyside.

He had already put in a written transfer request after meeting new Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez in Lisbon during Euro 2004 and had told his England colleagues that he was moving to Chelsea.

Officials from Anfield and Stamford Bridge had arranged a meeting for yesterday to put the finishing touches to the deal.

But Gerrard was concerned about the fallout from his move to London and the impact it would have on his relatives, most of whom live in Liverpool and are lifelong fans of the Anfield club.

The England midfielder changed his mind partly because of the intolerable pressure his extended family faced, which included a series of threats and abuse in local newspapers and various websites.

His father, who had been fully behind him moving to Stamford Bridge, advised him under these circumstances that there could be serious repercussions if he did not stay at Anfield.

This is not the first time that a high profile Liverpool figure has been forced to deal with personal abuse.

Former manager Gerard Houllier was the subject of death threats earlier this year while Michael Owen, who is not as popular as local boy Gerrard on Merseyside, has admitted in the past to receiving dozens of threatening letters.

The same obstructive attitude shown by fans not wanting Gerrard to move down south could have a similar effect on a potential Wayne Rooney transfer this summer from neighbouring Everton.

The England wonder boy, out injured for six weeks with a broken bone in his foot, has been linked with a move to Manchester United or Chelsea.

Gerrard, 24, who has been at Liverpool since he was eight, admitted yesterday that he was all set to move until he got back to his home city and realised just how much the club and supporters meant to him.

He looked shaken and unhappy at a press conference yesterday to confirm that he was staying.

"I made it clear that I haven't been happy with the progress of the club over the past two years and for the first time in my career I really thought about the possibility of moving on," he said.

"But I came back home and spoke to my family and friends and listened to what they had to say.

"I talked with my dad, and my girlfriend and asked for a fourth meeting with Liverpool's chief executive, Rick Parry, and I went with the decision in my heart.

"I am 100 per cent committed to Liverpool Football Club. I love the club, I love the supporters and I have decided I can't turn my back on that. That's what it boils down to."

Liverpool have not increased the terms of the new four-year contract that their best player signed last November.

Parry admitted that Gerrard had been on the brink of a record-breaking move to Chelsea when he revealed the details of a phone call on Saturday night.

His captain left a message asking Parry to ring him back urgently.

"It was with some trepidation I made that phone call," said Parry.

"I suppose I thought the worst, but he gave me an indication that he had gone to the precipice and couldn't make the jump. I can't tell you what he said, because it isn't printable, but he gave us hope by asking for a meeting.

"We sat down and talked on Sunday night, and then he came in on Monday and said that he couldn't leave."

Parry added ignoring the real background to Gerrard's decision:

"It is a triumph for traditional values. Let us just say that nice people can go to the precipice and still pull back because home-town values have prevailed.

"It almost restores my faith in modern footballers. I certainly had some sleepless nights and really this has come as a very pleasant surprise. We were never completely resigned because we hoped when he came back to his home city surrounded by his friends and family he would think again.

"When players are away on international duty, there is a different environment, different inf luences and pressures.

"There are always people whispering, and there will always be temptations. Stevie just said that, in the end, he didn't like what he had to do to make the jump.

"I think his family have played a major part."
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah that really sounds like he's 100% committed...what a shitey situation to be put in.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

So two-faced. Just shows you how greedy players are now - £120,000 a week? Utterly ridiculous.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:So two-faced. Just shows you how greedy players are now - £120,000 a week? Utterly ridiculous.
Gerrard is giving up a lot to stay at Liverpool, whatever the motivation. Don't really see how this qualifies him as "greedy".
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

hey all...I am actually trying to learn more about "football" and just have ONE question.....why do the players spend so much time writhing on the ground in agony after the slightest touch????
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Yeah, he's giving up about £6 million a year. That's an awful lot.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:hey all...I am actually trying to learn more about "football" and just have ONE question.....why do the players spend so much time writhing on the ground in agony after the slightest touch????
In theory, to get another player booked, or win a penalty/freekick....but in practice, cos most of them are big girl's blouses who spend their extremely high salaries on being pampered...expensive clothes, male cosmetics and Only fools and horses DVDs.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

laughingcrow wrote:In theory, to get another player booked, or win a penalty/freekick....but in practice, cos most of them are big girl's blouses who spend their extremely high salaries on being pampered...expensive clothes, male cosmetics and Only fools and horses DVDs.
LOL. Plenty of diving at Euro 2004. It's good to see the referees handing out yellow cards for it.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gilli, Jackson, Otis (well any non-Arsenal really)...

Thought you might enjoy this...

http://www.contentmentww.co.uk/viral/
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Sam - my sentiments entirely!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

This is the sort of thing that jealous glory starved lilylivered lillywhites have been driven to!!. :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I bet you laughed, though. Totally hilarious.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

SLL: Yup! :lol: :lol: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Have TH signed (Brazilian) Ronaldo yet??

Chelsea got Drogba, could be the player to move them up a notch and provide some much needed magic (all gone since Zola went).

Looks like the Arse may lose Vierra. That would be a major blow and could end any hopes of retaining the title before the season begins.

Mind you Manu are hardly looking threatening, what with the mighty Alan Smith arriving, and (Portugese) Ronaldo is off to the Olympics for August (that should make Alex happy).
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I'm not convinced about Drogba. One swallow does not make a summer etc....certainly does not make him worth 25 million! From what I've seen Cisse signing for Liverpool is a better piece of business.

Viera may be off, but I'll save the celebrations until he's signed on that Spanish dotted line. There's been too many occasions when Wenger, Viera and Henry were off to Madrid....I'll stay quiet for now....

Man Utd are 'dark horses' for the title this year....been a long time since that was the case. :shock:
corruptio optimi pessima