Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Highlight of the whole thing was waiting outside for the players to emerge, my son hopeful for an autograph. Scholes emerged, gave the briefest of waves, clutching his man of the match magnum, and then hopped into his super-sleek silver Audi. We waited ages, Andy Johnson came out and signed programmes for fans of both teams! Then, eventually, the one and only Eric Cantona emerged, looked at us briefly, very sadly didn't stop to sign, just a brief wave and off. What a thrill to be so close to a bona fide MU legend, and so magisterial looking. The programme told us he was there, so there were many choruses of 'Ooh Ah Cantona', and 'On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me five Cantonas, four Cantonas', etc.
So did any of the United players sign autographs for you, or were they all Wayne Kerrs?

I did the Stadium Tour at Stamford Bridge on Monday afternoon and got Didier Drogba's signature - very friendly guy, poor English. He was the only Chelsea player I saw - no training that day. The tour itself is great fun - you get to go down on the pitch, see the changing rooms (the visitors room is essentially a large closet), the press room, walk down the tunnel. A couple of United fans (father and son) were on the tour as well - they were down for the Fulham match - in addition to a few other Americans, which surprised me.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

So ! Spurs may be selling another one of their best players to the enemy the arse again for big bucks! Does our manager have a hole in his head? We need all the quality players we have!!! Nice to see the arse panic buying trying to stop Chelsea from steaming ahead. If we give them a helping hand thats me finished :evil:

Nice performance this week lads - even Kanoute managed to put in a half decent performance, although the arse can have him for free as far as im concerned.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Gillibeanz wrote:So ! Spurs may be selling another one of their best players to the enemy the arse again for big bucks! Does our manager have a hole in his head? We need all the quality players we have!!! Nice to see the arse panic buying trying to stop Chelsea from steaming ahead. If we give them a helping hand thats me finished :evil:

Nice performance this week lads - even Kanoute managed to put in a half decent performance, although the arse can have him for free as far as im concerned.
Disagree about Kanoute. I know he's got that stroppy French mentality sometimes, but I think he's ideal for Keane and Defoe. The latter two have never quite worked out as a pairing and yet they both work well with Freddie. He gets a lot of stick, but he rarely gets beaten in the air and his first touch is exquisite....I like him.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Big shame to see the arse steal three or at least one rightfully earned point from Mighty Joe Jordan's boys (oh the nostalgia, Lou Macari's fish and chip shop, Joe interviewed on MOTD, I and my Brethren of the Stretford End is well happy). And I should have played Lua Lua over Henry and got three more points, to make my lead even bigger. No hat-trick from Baros, but the 12 points will do nicely. Nice to be in the top 500. Almost the top 0.1%, though the bizarre way the numbers swell each week, and I think it's much more evident this season, I think the end number last year was under 400,000. I'm sure many people must create new leagues and teams each month to have sub-competitions.

No signatures, WSS. Only Andy Johnson's. But Eric looked somewhere near me. It's not often you find yourself in the vicinity of a legend. The funny thing was he was preceded by a lookalike. It must have been his brother. We were all cheering him, and he stood there expressionless. Eventually he pointed at someone else emerging from the ground and shook his head, and of course a taller, statelier and generally more godlike vision appeared before us.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:But Eric looked somewhere near me. It's not often you find yourself in the vicinity of a legend. The funny thing was he was preceded by a lookalike. It must have been his brother. We were all cheering him, and he stood there expressionless. Eventually he pointed at someone else emerging from the ground and shook his head, and of course a taller, statelier and generally more godlike vision appeared before us.
I think I read somewhere that Cantona's brother was a footballer too, albeit with a lower division club - think it might have even been in England.
Otis Westinghouse

Indeed, Joel Cantona. Ex of Stockport County and also a beach soccer enthusiast. Nice one, WSS. Must have been him.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Quelle gueule. Sacré bleu!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

JACKSON: Kanoute is too unreliable in his form for me, and when he messes up he messes up bigtime - dont rate him much im afraid.

Norwich next- should be a win. Sitting pretty at the moment near the top end of the table for a change!........enjoy it why we can huh? :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

8 points clear now - catch us if you can Arsenal!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Joey Cole!!! Get in there!!!

X-mas blip you're having a laugh!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

1-1...........AGAIN!

I think I'm beginning to see the sense in a 6 month contract....I wonder what Christian Gross is doing these days? :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

laughingcrow wrote:1-1...........AGAIN!

I think I'm beginning to see the sense in a 6 month contract....I wonder what Christian Gross is doing these days? :lol:
Hoddle is a terrible man-manager. Out by the end of the season, you think?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

It's way too early to be getting over-excited, but Spurs are really playing some great football at the moment. We've beaten all the other 'middle of the road' clubs in recent weeks...Middlesborough, Everton, Man City, Blackburn etc. The true test on our progress comes in the next 2 weeks when we have Man Utd and Chelsea.....I'd definitely be happy with 2 pts from those matches!
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:It's way too early to be getting over-excited, but Spurs are really playing some great football at the moment. We've beaten all the other 'middle of the road' clubs in recent weeks...Middlesborough, Everton, Man City, Blackburn etc. The true test on our progress comes in the next 2 weeks when we have Man Utd and Chelsea.....I'd definitely be happy with 2 pts from those matches!
I was shocked to see Everton concede five goals. Are they finally starting to show their true colors? I picked them for relegation at the start of the season. Obviously I was wrong there, but I do feel that they've been in a false position this season. You had to wonder how many more narrow 1-0 victories they were going to squeak out before the wheels came off.

Tottenham are looking like a much better attacking team under Jol. I like the look of Ziegler.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Listened to the match on the radio and then watched it later on tv - we scored some cracking goals!. We played really well and have some good young players in the making. At last a little hope of glory on the horizon!

Kanoute did his usual of promising to deliver then scoring sod all. Naybet was a bit of a liability too I would have taken him off after nearly scoring a second own goal! Good play from Edman - nice to see him back he was missed. Mendes played exceptionally well, and Marney and Ziegler are players to keep an eye on for the fantasy footie if picked on a regular basis. Keane could have scored a lot more but was unlucky, and im looking forward the the return of Defoe who of course is injured now i've gone and bloody bought him!

All in all a pretty exciting time for us long time downtrodden spurs people! :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Glad to see Robbie doing so well for Spurs at the mo.

Everton to sign Beattie...that will be a good signing for the Toffees

Wolves need to spend big for next season....they need about 5 good quality players, cos we will lose Miller, Ince, and some others undoubtedly...they also need to offer a big carrot to a quality manager...Strachan, Allardyce, Keegan...or am I just dreaming.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Gillibeanz wrote:Listened to the match on the radio and then watched it later on tv - we scored some cracking goals!. We played really well and have some good young players in the making. At last a little hope of glory on the horizon!
Kanoute did his usual of promising to deliver then scoring sod all.
Dear me Gilli...I thought you said you watched the match!
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Jackson - I did watch the match - Kanoute did his usual of promising to score but produced no goals............... :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Yeah....good point. :oops:
:lol: :lol:

I'd make my point in some other way, but fear that the moment is now long gone :lol:

Man Utd next for a good thrashing......(one can dream!)
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:Yeah....good point. :oops:
:lol: :lol:

I'd make my point in some other way, but fear that the moment is now long gone :lol:

Man Utd next for a good thrashing......(one can dream!)
An unbelievably poor call by the linesman denies Spurs a deserved victory at Old Trafford. The ball was clearly more than a yard over the goal line. Unbelievable.

And Chelsea now seven points clear at the top. Fergie and Wenger have been trying to rattle Mourinho with these childish mind games. It clearly isn't working.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Words fail me....

Why is that this kind of thing so often happens at Old Trafford....???

Maybe the linesman was promised shares in a racehorse!!
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Ludicrous. What a fumble by Carroll! I have to concede that Jackson should be laughing not grumbling. That said, it sounded like a poor show that United hadn't scored earlier. Radio 5 reckoned they had had 70% possession. And where the fuck is Defoe, I need the points!

Looks like a decisive night for Chelskinho. Short of some totally unimaginable catastrophe at this stage, that gap is too big to close. Good argument this evening for keeping Gudjohnsen on the bench.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Ludicrous. What a fumble by Carroll! I have to concede that Jackson should be laughing not grumbling. That said, it sounded like a poor show that United hadn't scored earlier. Radio 5 reckoned they had had 70% possession. And where the fuck is Defoe, I need the points!

Looks like a decisive night for Chelskinho. Short of some totally unimaginable catastrophe at this stage, that gap is too big to close. Good argument this evening for keeping Gudjohnsen on the bench.
From the bit I saw of the Spurs/ManU match (the final half hour), I think Spurs were the better side. That has to be troubling for ManU, considering that neither Defoe nor Kanoute played. Complete travesty of a refereeing decision. I can only imagine what Ferguson would have said if it had happened to him. Fair dues to Jol for being so classy about it.

I'm happy to see Drogba scoring goals - I have him on my fantasy team now. I don't think anyone's gonna catch us now. Mourinho inspires such confidence. Our defensive record is simply stunning, and if we can get one of our strikers scoring goals now, we can't be stopped.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

About that Roy Carroll howler, I thought this was funny:

http://www.40percent.tv/fnord/howard.jpg
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Watched the match on tv and ....AAARRRGGGGHHH!!! I cant believe we were robbed!! So unfair. :x Mendes is coming along nicely!

Having said that we defended well but were pretty poor in the striker stakes - hurry back Defoe! I see Rednapp has gone and King is now official permanent captain - great to see!

There has been talk by the FA this morning about putting a microchip in the ball so theres no doubt if its over the line or not. Bout time too - all this technology and we are not using it! I think the ref and linesman should be fined for not doing their job properly. :x

Chelsea next - dunno about a win but at least we shouldnt be a push over! :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!