Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Truth be told, I'm a little nervous about Chelsea playing them this weekend. They're on a great run of form.
I shouldn't have been concerned. Piling the pressure on Arsenal again. Come on Bolton!

Update: Thanks notlob. Nobody's catching us now - no goals conceded in six consecutive matches. Unbelievable.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

You just fuck off now.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Jealous, are we? So much for making Henry captain this weekend. About time I signed a Man U plaayer. Great to see us defending properly, even without Rio. Perfect that the Mighty Roon should score against his enemies. Was that really a mobile phone that got thrown at him? he really should know better, but how dumb have you got to be to throw that?

Hey, WSS?, I'm off to see Chelsea at home to Portsmouth next week! A friend has a part-share in a row of season tickets. I didn't realise it was so easy for him to get me in free. On today's evidence, it should be a massacre. I'm looking forward to screaming with delight when 'my' players do well. Especially as the only contest at the top of the table is that for second, and, of course, for Europe. So who do you predict for second, SLL?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Good old-fashioned banter! :lol:

Wolves won a game, and against the hated and despised WHAM (urgh, I hate them so much...if only Mugabe would buy that club and move them to Zimbabwe).

2 wins on the trot.........Eileen's powers must have kicked in.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:You just fuck off now.
:roll:

Oh dear.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Hey, WSS?, I'm off to see Chelsea at home to Portsmouth next week! A friend has a part-share in a row of season tickets. I didn't realise it was so easy for him to get me in free. On today's evidence, it should be a massacre. I'm looking forward to screaming with delight when 'my' players do well. Especially as the only contest at the top of the table is that for second, and, of course, for Europe.
Do you know where you'll be sitting? West Upper, most likely. The view of the pitch from up there is tremendous, but the atmosphere a little subdued.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Don't roll your eyes at me you smarmy russki fu...........

signed with love and vicious kisses
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

oh well....always next year I guess..... :oops:

at least we don't seem to get hammered 5-0 anymore!
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Don't roll your eyes at me you smarmy russki fu...........
All right, all right. Settle down. I may be a smarmy fucker but there's not a drop of Russian blood in my body.

It's not Chelsea's fault that Arse are playing so poorly at the moment. From the highlights I saw, it looked like Bolton could have given you a real battering. You need a new goalkeeper - pronto. Almunia is terrible.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

..and judging from the Winger quotes in the media today, he's clearly losing the plot in the war of words with Fergie. His little rants are almost Keeganesque....I think he might fuck off soon...with a bit of luck! :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:..and judging from the Winger quotes in the media today, he's clearly losing the plot in the war of words with Fergie. His little rants are almost Keeganesque....I think he might fuck off soon...with a bit of luck! :lol:
I think this whole bogus war between Arse and ManU has been to Chelsea's benefit. They've been free to go about their business while Wenger and Ferguson trade insults.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I agree....although I do think that Ferguson is targeting Wenger because he knows it's a race for second place now. There could be a lot of psychological damage in finishing third of the three.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Though this week it's very much been a case of a new axis of feud as Weng and his Arse are increasingly marginalised from any sense of relevance in the world of modern footie, and Jose takes on the mighty Ferg at his own game. I like the apprentice/master relationship. Mourinho's simultaneous playing the game of slag and thrust whilst also dropping a slobbering homage to the almighty SAF as He Who Must Be Emulated is wonderful, although as a shrewd operator he's careful to limit the praise to his stature in English football, reminding us all the while that they have both been both captains of European champs. Great stuff. Got to hand it to Mourinho. Was fun to see him busy scribbling notes as he watched Barca v Real Sociedad this evening. That's going to be almost exciting as the ONLY UNITED KNOWN AS UNITED vs Meeeelan.

WSS?: have not a clue, will tell all next week. Colour me blue.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I like the apprentice/master relationship. Mourinho's simultaneous playing the game of slag and thrust whilst also dropping a slobbering homage to the almighty SAF as He Who Must Be Emulated is wonderful, although as a shrewd operator he's careful to limit the praise to his stature in English football, reminding us all the while that they have both been both captains of European champs. Great stuff. Got to hand it to Mourinho. Was fun to see him busy scribbling notes as he watched Barca v Real Sociedad this evening.
Have to say that I've really warmed up to Mourinho. Success will do that. I suppose, but he exudes such confidence that I don't have the old feeling that I had in seasons past that Chelsea will find a way to screw things up.

I picked up the recent biography of Mourinho when I was in London (at Sports Pages, an outstanding book shop on Charing Cross Road) and read it on the way home. He's really meticulous in his preparation and knows exactly what he's trying to accomplish. Ranieri, as likeable as he was, seemed to fly be the seat of his pants. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Gravesen at Real Madrid. Very strange - didn't really believe it until I saw him playing last night. Played 20 minutes and made some good tackels. And Brighton won saturday - i like that. :)
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

JACKSON: I thought Spurs played well! We need some decent strikers - I couldnt believe it when King was taken out of defence and put up front - if that doesnt point it out in plain English to Jol then he must be a moron! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Graveses is a good steady player, and like most Scandinavians, very underrated. Ironically I seem to remember him getting a fair bit of stick from the Evertonians when he first joined....he'll probably leave and become a legend..Marco Matterazzi anyone? he ended up joining a top Serie A club and playing for the Azzuri!
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I still have my fears. He's got quite a few days when nothing works at all - Gravesen that is
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Anyone see the Djimi Traore own goal in the Burnley-Liverpool FA Cup match? A superb piece of skill - one of the best OGs I've ever seen.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Did you ever see Keith Weller's own goal from near his own corner flag many many moons ago? It's the own goal by which others are judged!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Sadly not, sounds great. Traore's was a total hoot. Great week for Liverpool. Serves EC right for supporting a shite team.

MU should have wrapped it up within 15 mins today, but it was more fitting for the FA Cup to keep hearts in mouths until the 87th. At last, we can beat Exeter!
Otis Westinghouse

Christ, will Benitez make it through the season?

So much for Spurs.

WSS?: my first visit to Stamford Bridge since standing in the shed in (I think) May '85, playing Sheffield Wednesday, and it was rowdy and very funny. Bit different now with all the sedate sit-down. Where was I? Well I think the Shed is the south end, right, in which case, I was in the west of the west stand, great view down over the goal Chelsea were attacking in the second half - when nothing happened! (Though it was great to see Duff in full tilt down the left wing on onbe occasion.) Beneath and to the left of Roman, opposite the team benches. Great atmosphere, funny chants ('One Harry Rednapp... '), huge sense of euphoria and awareness that after a 50 year wait it's going to be theirs. Of course I would have loved a surprise slip up, but within 10 minutes you knew it was going to be easy. Robben was awesome, the speed of his runs and the way he managed to slip in first the assist to Drogba and then somehow stayed on his feet for the second were awesome. Drogba makes everyone else look tiny, but I was amazed by the general smallness of the Chelsea players. We know Joe Cole is a shortass, but Makelele looks like a 12 year old.

And of course the big one will be the second leg at Old Trafford this Wed. I think it will be a corker. Both teams will be up for it, and with United winning comfortably again this weekend, Chelsea will find it as hard as Exeter to get their result!

Stamford Bridge seems humble next to the awesome grandeur of the Theatre of Dreams, but it was fun to go there. I recommend it to Jackson and Gilli, though they should block their ears for the anti-Spurs fans.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Christ, will Benitez make it through the season?

So much for Spurs.

WSS?: my first visit to Stamford Bridge since standing in the shed in (I think) May '85, playing Sheffield Wednesday, and it was rowdy and very funny. Bit different now with all the sedate sit-down. Where was I? Well I think the Shed is the south end, right, in which case, I was in the west of the west stand, great view down over the goal Chelsea were attacking in the second half - when nothing happened! (Though it was great to see Duff in full tilt down the left wing on onbe occasion.) Beneath and to the left of Roman, opposite the team benches. Great atmosphere, funny chants ('One Harry Rednapp... '), huge sense of euphoria and awareness that after a 50 year wait it's going to be theirs. Of course I would have loved a surprise slip up, but within 10 minutes you knew it was going to be easy. Robben was awesome, the speed of his runs and the way he managed to slip in first the assist to Drogba and then somehow stayed on his feet for the second were awesome. Drogba makes everyone else look tiny, but I was amazed by the general smallness of the Chelsea players. We know Joe Cole is a shortass, but Makelele looks like a 12 year old.

And of course the big one will be the second leg at Old Trafford this Wed. I think it will be a corker. Both teams will be up for it, and with United winning comfortably again this weekend, Chelsea will find it as hard as Exeter to get their result!

Stamford Bridge seems humble next to the awesome grandeur of the Theatre of Dreams, but it was fun to go there. I recommend it to Jackson and Gilli, though they should block their ears for the anti-Spurs fans.
That Liverpool result was a stunner. Glad you enjoyed your visit to the Bridge Otis. From the way you describe it, you were indeed in the West Upper. The old Shed end is the side dominated by the hotel now. Matthew Harding stand is at the other end, from where most of the chants originate.

I'd love to make it up to Manchester on my next visit to England. I've been to five of the London grounds now - Upton Park, Selhurst Park, Stamford Bridge, Highbury and Craven Cottage. The Bridge is my favorite in terms of creature comforts and accessibility. But the atmosphere at Highbury for the Arse-Chelsea match was the best by far.

Robben was extraordinary. As good as our defense has been, his arrival has been the key.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

If ever there was proof of Kanuote's value, the last three weeks has been it. Defoe and Keane simply do not gel. The team needs a left winger and a target man badly.

Given the fact that we have a started to bulid virtually new team since the summer, I think it's a little early to write us off - esp since we beat Manure fair and square just three games ago!
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Aaaah, the blinkers of fandom which lead 0-0 to somehow being definable as 'beat'!

WSS?: it seemed odd to me that, as you say, the chants were coming from Matthew Harding, not the Shed. On my previous visit, it seemed the Shed was the centre of it all. Has the construction of a hotel and Chelsea Village made the hardcore move to another end? Portsmouth fans were very quiet, way more than the Palace ones at OT who were outnumbered by a much more significant factor, not to mention the psychological trauma of finding your team being hopelessly pulverised in THE THEATRE OF DREAMS (TM). Maybe this trauma is what makes the bleating louder. The Chelsea taunts of 'We forgot you came' were pretty suitable, both of the opposition and their supporters.