Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:WSS?: it seemed odd to me that, as you say, the chants were coming from Matthew Harding, not the Shed. On my previous visit, it seemed the Shed was the centre of it all. Has the construction of a hotel and Chelsea Village made the hardcore move to another end? Portsmouth fans were very quiet, way more than the Palace ones at OT who were outnumbered by a much more significant factor, not to mention the psychological trauma of finding your team being hopelessly pulverised in THE THEATRE OF DREAMS (TM). Maybe this trauma is what makes the bleating louder. The Chelsea taunts of 'We forgot you came' were pretty suitable, both of the opposition and their supporters.
It is strange that the Matthew Harding has become more vocal than the Shed, but I think it has a lot to do with the construction of the hotel, when supporters were relocated elsewhere. If you walk along the outside of the ground, you can see the back of the old Shed wall, just outside the Megastore. What's most puzzling to me is that Chelsea persist on seating away fans in the East Stand, directly behind the benches and very close to the pitch. At St. James' Park, I know that away supporters are located up in the clouds somewhere, so as not to influence the match to any great degree.

I have a good friend who is a Pompey supporter, and he's puzzled by the moves Mandaric has made. So am I.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Those wacky Gooners aye? They love seeing what they can drive into after a skinful of ale!!
corruptio optimi pessima
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I think the situation close to the pitch is to do with crowd trouble..it's the same at a lot of grounds, where they put season-ticket holders above away fans, so away fans can't throw things down onto home fans, and season ticket holders generally aren't trouble makers.
That said, I've seen piss thrown down on people when I've been to St Andrews for games we've played against Brum. So season ticket holders aren't all lovely smiling families.

Best atmosphere in the premiership must be Portsmouth, though I haven't been to the dump that is Fratton Park since they've been promoted, they always made constant noise (that sodding bell and drum) when I've been there before. Old Trafford is always a good atmosphere believe it or not (great songs too), Liverpool and Newcastle if they're winning can make noise too.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Believe it or not? Hah! they always seem to be saying on Radio 5 how quiet it is at Old Trafford, but when I was there the noise was mighty. and the best thing is you are seated among 64,000 or so MU fans. Pure heaven.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

Correction: make that 65,000, becuase probably about a third of the away fans are really MU fans.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

When you say away fans do you mean people not from Manchester?
signed with love and vicious kisses
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I hate to leap to the defence of Man U, cos they really don't need the likes of me doing it, but whenever I've been there (always in the home section, and for some pretty big games too) the majority of the accents you hear are mancunian.
Unlike Liverpool, where you stand in any side of the ground and here loads of studenty accents, woolybacks (there's one for all you North Westerners), and foreign accents...much more so than at Old Trafford anywhere.

Weird one is Celtic Park...it's like 50% Glaswegian, 50% Irish! One hell of an atmosphere though!
Otis Westinghouse

Don't hate it, be proud of it, that's exactly the perception I had.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Flukey goal or wot!

Ronaldinho anyone?
Otis Westinghouse

Why flukey? It was very well taken. Of course the sheer genius of Giggs's goal far outclassed it. Exciting game, but utterly painful. That was such an obvious penalty that we were denied, but there you go. Shame Utd couldn't make more of their chances. Our only hope of silverware dashed? Well, we'll just have to make sure we retain the FA Cup.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I took no sides in last night's match (cos I can't stand either club :lol: ), but I have to make one observation.

This obvious time wasting policy Chelsea appear to have developed is very distasteful. They did it at Spurs the other week, after they went 1 up with that dodgy penalty, and Drogba was at it again last night.

It would appear that Mourinho and Clarke have told the players to get a lead, and then kill off the flow of the game by prentending to be injured at every given opportunity. At one point last night (after Lampard's goal), Drogba lay on the floor, clutching his groin in apparent agony for ages and the game was stopped. What a surprise when he came trotting back on a split second after the re-start. It was worse at White Hart Lane a few weeks ago, when Robben and others joined.

Does a team with this much talent really need to resort to such tactics ? It ruins the game as a spectacle IMHO.....
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

GODAMMITT!! - those blues are on their way to glory again! I'm going to have to move out - my son is driving me nuts with his crowing and Chelsea songs!! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Has their been much buzz in the UK over this story?

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SPORT/01/27 ... index.html
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I don't care how we win the league or what anyone says about it. Chelsea are playing with plenty of style for my taste, and Mourinho's done a tremendous job. Terry has been immense this season. Few clubs have the kind of players that would allow them to play the style Arsenal did last season.

As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gillibeanz wrote:GODAMMITT!! - those blues are on their way to glory again!
Again? :?:

As in the first time since 1955?
Otis Westinghouse

BlueChair wrote:Has their been much buzz in the UK over this story?
Nice to see Blue in footieland! First I've heard, but 9 is outrageous. At least he's being kept away from reporters. How anyone can say he's the best player to come out of Brazil is beyond me. He may have lost interest by the age of 12, but he'll probably be shipped off to the youth team of some European club at a disgracefully young age and will never have a proper outlook on life.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I agree...can't say I'm surprised though, it has been going on in this country for years. There should be a FIFA ban on the contracting of kids under 16! It would help smaller clubs/countries too.

Only 2-0 to SLL then...ah well, it could have been worse.

Great goal scored by Rooney against Boro!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Did you see that Colchester own goal? Wow!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Was it better than the Traore OG a few weeks ago for Liverpool? Can you describe it for us FA Cup-deprived souls on this side of the pond?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

A gentle back pass to the keeper from just outside of the box. The keeper went to boot it upfield (under no pressure) but the ball bobbled just before contact and he only just skimmed it. The ball trickled into the net. Great stuff.

Come on City!!
Otis Westinghouse

The return of the Huth! Him + Terry make Chelsea corners a terrifying prospect. Nice to know Chelsea made such a huge loss last year, not that it's anything significant for Roman.

Rooney's goals were both superb yesterday. We haven't seen enough of that brazen talent since he joined the Mighty Reds, maybe this will become a more regular feature. Incredible first touch.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:The return of the Huth! Him + Terry make Chelsea corners a terrifying prospect. Nice to know Chelsea made such a huge loss last year, not that it's anything significant for Roman.

Rooney's goals were both superb yesterday. We haven't seen enough of that brazen talent since he joined the Mighty Reds, maybe this will become a more regular feature. Incredible first touch.
I didn't see a minute of the Brum match today - at my father's place in Connecticut with the wife and kids. Sounds like we played well. Huth's a damn good player - I imagine he'll be off somewhere in the summer. I think we should keep him but I doubt we'll be able to - dangerous in the air and on free kicks.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:A gentle back pass to the keeper from just outside of the box. The keeper went to boot it upfield (under no pressure) but the ball bobbled just before contact and he only just skimmed it. The ball trickled into the net. Great stuff.
There's nothing better than a well-taken own goal. Remember than OG for Villa (last season I think) involving Enckelman? A thing of beauty.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I never post in here, so if this has been posted before, I apologize. But for your foooty fans, check out this link:

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/35/
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I'm over the proverbial moon about the Spurs signing Andy Reid. It's so obvious that we need pace out wide and I've seen enough of Reid to suspect that he's the real deal. We'll just have to see if he can make the transition to the premiership, although his international performances suggest he'll be fine.

I know very little about Michael Dawson, although he seems highly regarded. Possibly a little injury prone, but seems ok at the moment. Given our reliance on Naybet to partner King, i hope he's a bit useful!

On the whole, we've got some good young talent at the lane right now....along with the two players signed today, we've got Robinson, Kelly, King, Sean Davis, Carrick, Marney and Defoe to name but a few. the future looks bright, but they need to develop onto the next level.
corruptio optimi pessima