Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

£8m seems a lot for a couple of Championship players, but who knows? They've both been highly touted.

Good FA Cup for the Arse, not so good for Chelshit/Manure. Lets hope Everton supporters treat Rooney with the mutual respect that he has shown them :lol: .
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yeah, with a hat-trick.

Noise, that cartoon is mental. Does it just go on forever? Ninjas and lasers and gold?

Bring it on you Arse!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Spurs apparently turned down an offer of 4.5 million for Simon Davies. As much as I like the player when he's fit, I'd have been tempted to take the money. He has a touch of the 'Darren Andertons' about him!

Bring on the Wanderers!
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Where's SLL? Was hoping he'd come here first looking for sympathy and claiming they wuz robbed. You've got to hand it to United for coming from behind twice. Cracking goals! Apart from the inevitable silliness (what the hell was Silvestre up to one yard away from the ref?), it was an exciting spectacle. great that Manchester's finest managed to cool down a bit at half-time and come out and play football. Testament to a great manager. how Arsene must have hated shaking his hand at the end there. Could be decisive in the battle for second.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

4-2?!? I didn't see that coming. Another typically good-natured match, from the sound of it.

My Pompey-supporting friend Tom sent me this today: :lol:

From The Official MUFC Maths Workbook, which covers sums for practising Key Stage Two maths for 7-11 year olds. This has been introduced as part of the Government's maths campaign.

1. Roy is 78 yards away from the referee at Old Trafford and Gary is 65 yards away. If Roy can run at 21mph and Gary can run at 16mph, who will be sticking their vein-bulging forehead into the hapless whistler's face first, assuming Roy does not stop to stamp on an opponent on his way.

2. If one minute of time is taken up in a game for substitutions and one minute for injuries, how much injury time will be added on by the referee if Man Utd are losing at home?

3. Ryan is a Welshman. Express, as a percentage, the number of internationals he has missed on a Wednesday evening compared to the miraculous recoveries he made for the following Saturday.

4. Manchester United are one of the giants of world club football. How many more European Cup Finals have they appeared in than Steaua Bucharest? (For one extra mark; How many more than Reims?)

4a. How many more times have Manchester United won the European Cup than Nottingham Forest?

5. Phil Neville has over 30 international caps. If you take away the number of appearances when he was the only adult male in England who could just about kick the ball with his left foot, how many are left?

6. You are the referee at Old Trafford. How near to a visiting defender does a tumbling Ruud van Nistelrooy have to be to earn a penalty if he goes down in the box? (Note: Round your answers down to the nearest 20 yards.)

6a. Probability. Express the statistical probability of visitors to Old Trafford being awarded a penalty. Compare this with the probability of opponents of Manchester United being awarded a penalty home or away, and then discuss if a penalty awarded to Manchester United would be awarded to their opponents in identical circumstances.

7. Mark "The Red" lives in Guildford. How much does it cost for him and his two sons to travel to the Theatre of Silence every other weekend, including limited edition matchday programme, a few drinks and prawn sandwiches all round? How much could he save per week if he watched his local team instead? (Note: Round your answers down to the nearest thousand pounds).

8. Alex had a hotel room booked in Cardiff for the League Cup Final. How much money did he lose when cancelling his reservation?

9. Ruud is 6ft tall and very strong and fast. How much pressure need be applied to make him tumble over in the opponents penalty area? (Note: Answers must be in lbs per square inch. However, answers such as, 'However much pressure is applied by Ferguson to referees' are accepted.)
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

4-2?!? I didn't see that coming. Another typically good-natured match, from the sound of it.

My Pompey-supporting friend Tom sent me this today: :lol:

From The Official MUFC Maths Workbook, which covers sums for practising Key Stage Two maths for 7-11 year olds. This has been introduced as part of the Government's maths campaign.

1. Roy is 78 yards away from the referee at Old Trafford and Gary is 65 yards away. If Roy can run at 21mph and Gary can run at 16mph, who will be sticking their vein-bulging forehead into the hapless whistler's face first, assuming Roy does not stop to stamp on an opponent on his way.

2. If one minute of time is taken up in a game for substitutions and one minute for injuries, how much injury time will be added on by the referee if Man Utd are losing at home?

3. Ryan is a Welshman. Express, as a percentage, the number of internationals he has missed on a Wednesday evening compared to the miraculous recoveries he made for the following Saturday.

4. Manchester United are one of the giants of world club football. How many more European Cup Finals have they appeared in than Steaua Bucharest? (For one extra mark; How many more than Reims?)

4a. How many more times have Manchester United won the European Cup than Nottingham Forest?

5. Phil Neville has over 30 international caps. If you take away the number of appearances when he was the only adult male in England who could just about kick the ball with his left foot, how many are left?

6. You are the referee at Old Trafford. How near to a visiting defender does a tumbling Ruud van Nistelrooy have to be to earn a penalty if he goes down in the box? (Note: Round your answers down to the nearest 20 yards.)

6a. Probability. Express the statistical probability of visitors to Old Trafford being awarded a penalty. Compare this with the probability of opponents of Manchester United being awarded a penalty home or away, and then discuss if a penalty awarded to Manchester United would be awarded to their opponents in identical circumstances.

7. Mark "The Red" lives in Guildford. How much does it cost for him and his two sons to travel to the Theatre of Silence every other weekend, including limited edition matchday programme, a few drinks and prawn sandwiches all round? How much could he save per week if he watched his local team instead? (Note: Round your answers down to the nearest thousand pounds).

8. Alex had a hotel room booked in Cardiff for the League Cup Final. How much money did he lose when cancelling his reservation?

9. Ruud is 6ft tall and very strong and fast. How much pressure need be applied to make him tumble over in the opponents penalty area? (Note: Answers must be in lbs per square inch. However, answers such as, 'However much pressure is applied by Ferguson to referees' are accepted.)
Otis Westinghouse

OK, OK, it was funny the first time...

I guess Pompey fans can gloat a bit over MU ones, but still, it's more fun to gloat over Arse fans! You can now add to the list: 'How many times have Man U beaten Arse-nil this season?'
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

An excellent result for you, especially considering Silvestre's sending off. We're going to have to keep playing at a high level, because I don't think you're going to lose many.
Otis Westinghouse

Roll on April 16!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Oh...the pain of being a Spurs fan!! :x

Just when a great chance to take the piss out of Arsenal comes along, we go into a slump of our own...against the likes off Palace and Bolton!

Mind you, we were robbed last night judging my the highlights.

Anyway, I have to agree with Otis... Lets all laugh at the 'invincible' gooners....it is not long ago that Winger was waffling on about a second unbeaten season......how pride so often comes before a fall... :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Doh.

Haven't got much else to say, and you certainly won't here me praising "United". Just keep concentrating on second place and we'll go for the CL.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Uriah Rennie - worst PL referee ever?

I saw the match on Fox, and Blackburn clearly decided their best strategy was to kick us as much as possible. Rennie let them get away with it, and the main culprit was that little shit Paul Dickov, who should have been sent off three times over. Nice penalty save by Cech.

Not a brilliant performance by Chels by any means, but a win is a win. I don't want to hear any more nonsense about the Blues crumbling when they're faced with cold nights in the North. It clearly is not going to happen - not this season and not with Jose in charge.

Hope Robben is OK.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Yeh...Dickov has always been an arse
corruptio optimi pessima
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Hope Robben isn't okay.
Three cheers for Blackburn (any team trying to kick the hated sugar daddied bastards is alright in my book).
It is (meant to be) a physical game.
Were your poor pretty (excludes Robben) blue boys getting kicked? Aah
The problem with this winter is it isn't cold enough.
On top of that for the first time in living memory the bastards now have a couple of non nancy boys.
Rennie is on a par with the majority of refs, they are mostly shite.

Tottenham are just about keeping me cheerful. They keep threatening to get in the top six and then choke ha ha. Why does Defoe get left on the bench?

My nightmare now is that blue bastards will win pl, "united" will win cl, Liverpool will win mickey mouse, and the lilleyshites the facup. Please don't let it happen.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Hope Robben isn't okay.
Hope your goalkeeper and Cygan will stay fit.
so lacklustre wrote:My nightmare now is that blue bastards will win pl, "united" will win cl, Liverpool will win mickey mouse, and the lilleyshites the facup. Please don't let it happen.
I've got a better nightmare for you - we win 'em all.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

I just knew SLL would be in good spirits. And what's more, he outperformed tonight in FF, though I do have 2 to come from my sub Routledge due to absent Osman.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

though I do have 2 to come from my sub Routledge due to absent Osman.
I got 2 points for my sub (Delap) too!!!

You're for it this week, I've made Hoult my captain. Honest.
Otis Westinghouse

What to do over Robben? Sell and not be able to rebuy? (I bought him on his second game, I think, maybe third, realising this way points lay.) Sit it out and hope Routledge et al excel themselves?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

His ankle is severely swollen (so lack should be happy), so I'd cash out now and get someone else. I seriously doubt he'll be back for a while, but i'm no doctor. Where's DrJ when you need him?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

DrJ DrJ...DrJ, call for DrJ, Do you want to go to Chelsea?

I got rid of Robben last week, must have been sidekick. He got to the point where was starting to be less effective (I know I know he went and scored before getting injured!!).

Otis I think you should ditch Robben, but who to bring in? I hear Mrs Savage is on good form, or how about Graham Stuart who's just gone on loan to Norwich? Take a risk and go for Rod Hull's Edu, just about to return (briefly) for the Arse.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Just sold Robben. Brought me a lot of points but I feel he's gonna be out for a couple of weeks.
Bought Ronaldo instead. Hard to believe but he's the only ManU player in my team.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Hmmm, went for Giggs. Some great totals recently, but always prone to being rested or playing 37 mins, especially later this month when The Mighty Ferg has to weigh up Prem and Euro. Still, I love him with all my heart, and I nearly wet myself with excitement watching him run at the defenders in December at TTOD (tm), but forme to it's my first MU signing of the season. Last season I had 2-3 all the time (Ruud of course was a big hitter), but decided to do the opposite this time, and separate club and FF allegiance completely. Funnily enough last season my policy was to not have Henry, but it was around this time, when I finally got to the top of the work league, that I decided I couldn't survive without him.

So who too make captain this week, Giggs or Frankie? Both have easy fixtures, in theory...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I picked up Ronaldo too. ManU are on a roll right now, and he seems to have re-discovered his scoring touch.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Hmmm, went for Giggs. Some great totals recently, but always prone to being rested or playing 37 mins, especially later this month when The Mighty Ferg has to weigh up Prem and Euro. Still, I love him with all my heart, and I nearly wet myself with excitement watching him run at the defenders in December at TTOD (tm), but forme to it's my first MU signing of the season. Last season I had 2-3 all the time (Ruud of course was a big hitter), but decided to do the opposite this time, and separate club and FF allegiance completely. Funnily enough last season my policy was to not have Henry, but it was around this time, when I finally got to the top of the work league, that I decided I couldn't survive without him.

So who too make captain this week, Giggs or Frankie? Both have easy fixtures, in theory...
Blast it!!

I swapped Robben for Giggs as well....I'll never catch you if we have the same players :x :x I considered Scholes, but he can be a little on/off sometimes. Also bought Delap to cover for Ziegler's absence. Another 4 pts thrown away. To cap it all, i just read that Paul Robinson is doubtful today. I think The White Hot Laners' best days are behind them :(
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Well Routledge won't have got much losing 0-1 against sodding Bolton!