Elvis' less appreciated gems: a new series

Pretty self-explanatory
dan dirty ape

Post by dan dirty ape »

oldhamer wrote:Does anyone else think that "So Young" is one of Elvis' best covers?
I've been addicted to that track for the last four weeks.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

oldhamer wrote:I think it was verbal gymnastics who mentioned "Baby Pictures". I'm not familiar with the other version you were talking about, but I LOVE the version on the Punch the Clock reissue. I like the tempo of the band, the vocal delivery (it sounds like EC's laughing as he sings) everything.
Elvis played a piano ballad version of Baby Pictures at his Royal Albert Hall shows in 1982 which had different lyrics. I prefer this version to the ska based version which sounds (or is supposed to sound) like Madness, who he had also recorded a vocal for Madness' Tomorrow's Just Another Day.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Rory10304

Post by Rory10304 »

pophead2k wrote:Yes, Night Rally is an early overlooked gem. A little fatalistic and paranoid sounding, but lovely all the same.

I'd like to open the floor to another song that people seem to like, but I rarely hear mentioned and have never seen on a 'Best Of' and that is the fabulous Kid About It from Imperial Bedroom. The vocals and lyrics on this song are amazing. I never seem to tire of it. There is something so heartbreaking about the low warble of our man's voice on this one that I don't think he's come close to before or since (well, maybe on Watch Your Step). It is also one of my favorite instances of EC's self-harmonising (which he does on nearly every song, so its saying something).

Sorry if I'm joining this discussion a little late.
I completely agree on Kid About It. Probably one of my all time favorites. Human Hands is another one. Both on Imperial, go figure. What about All Grown Up? I always liked it.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm a fan of All Grown Up too- one of my favorites off of MLAR and one I hadn't really thought about in a while.