Elvis and The Imposters, Chicago, IL, November 3, 2021

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis and The Imposters, Chicago, IL, November 3, 2021

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton play the Chicago Theatre, Chicago on Wednesday, November 3.

This will be Elvis' 11th appearance at the venue, including three nights supporting Bob Dylan in 2007.

Lots of tickets priced between $23 and $253 are still available. The theatre seats around 3,600.

Who's going?

MOOT
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Chicago, IL, November 3, 2021

Man out of Time wrote:

Who's going?
No one??
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Bit worrying on the fan reports given we have not had a review from Ann Arbor or the sniff of anyone from the forum going to this one.

It wouldn’t happen in England!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Bit worrying on the fan reports given we have not had a review from Ann Arbor or the sniff of anyone from the forum going to this one.

It wouldn’t happen in England!
True, but then there's proportionally fewer venues in England, hence more of us to spread ourselves around!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 03_Chicago

01. Heart Of The City
02. Green Shirt
03. No Flag
04. Either Side Of The Same Town
05. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
06. Hey Clockface / How Can You Face Me?
07. Clubland
08. The Death Of Magic Thinking
09. Mystery Dance - including fourth verse
10. The Boy Named If
11. Motel Matches
12. Penelope Halfpenny
13. Everyday I Write The Book
14. High Fidelity
15. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
16. Watching The Detectives
17. The Comedians
18. Brilliant Mistake / Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
19. Newspaper Pane
20. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
21. Magnificent Hurt
22. I Want You
23. Pump It Up - including Subterranean Homesick Blues
24. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
25. Alison
26. I Hope
27. Farewell, OK
annmte

Post by annmte »

I was there. So happy that he played "I Want You" - surprised he didn't play "Red Shoes" though! I believe this may have been the only concert this tour where he hasn't.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

hi intrigued how Charlie affected the band's sound ?
geebot

Post by geebot »

I also attended the August Kansas City show with Sexton, sans Steve, and Sexton is a nice addition. As Elvis points out the band can finally play Alison properly because Sexton can play John McFee's jazzy guitar intro properly (Costello's an intuitive player but not a technician). He provides a richer backdrop. I miss Kitten and Brianna but they lend themselves to a different type of show. The main takeaway is that it was a very strong ("rocking") show. Of the many, many shows I've attended since 1978 this had the energy of the earlier shows. I can't help but think that his recent re-exploration of Armed Forces and Spanish Model did something to spark that earlier energy. The new songs are great. Loved them all. The re-arranged Clockface material worked well. I'm now trying to negotiate a trip to Madison with myself (sleep? or reliving my youth? - tough call).
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

geebot wrote:I also attended the August Kansas City show with Sexton, sans Steve, and Sexton is a nice addition. As Elvis points out the band can finally play Alison properly because Sexton can play John McFee's jazzy guitar intro properly (Costello's an intuitive player but not a technician). He provides a richer backdrop. I miss Kitten and Brianna but they lend themselves to a different type of show. The main takeaway is that it was a very strong ("rocking") show. Of the many, many shows I've attended since 1978 this had the energy of the earlier shows. I can't help but think that his recent re-exploration of Armed Forces and Spanish Model did something to spark that earlier energy. The new songs are great. Loved them all. The re-arranged Clockface material worked well. I'm now trying to negotiate a trip to Madison with myself (sleep? or reliving my youth? - tough call).
Another trip - we’re all rooting for you to manage it here in the UK
Do it, do it !! :wink: :wink:
geebot

Post by geebot »

sulky lad wrote:Another trip - we’re all rooting for you to manage it here in the UK
Do it, do it !! :wink: :wink:
I actually made it to the Liverpool show last year just before lockdown. Great room and a great concert. He played "Turning the Town Red" for the scouser crowd. I'd go back again in a hearbeat; Liverpool exceeded my expectations.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

geebot wrote:I actually made it to the Liverpool show last year just before lockdown. Great room and a great concert.
Hi G - where in the venue were you ? I was second row centre front, loads of Americans around me, were you one of them?
geebot wrote: He played "Turning the Town Red" for the scouser crowd..
It was a truly sensational show but that tune and the final 'exit music' brought an alergic reaction out in some of us Scousers.
geebot

Post by geebot »

Top balcony wrote:
geebot wrote:I actually made it to the Liverpool show last year just before lockdown. Great room and a great concert.
Hi G - where in the venue were you ? I was second row centre front, loads of Americans around me, were you one of them?
geebot wrote: He played "Turning the Town Red" for the scouser crowd..
It was a truly sensational show but that tune and the final 'exit music' brought an alergic reaction out in some of us Scousers.
We were likely in that group. And hearing YNWA makes even Americans allergic in that setting. Our suitcases had all sort of LFC kit packed in on the way back.
John

Post by John »

Top balcony wrote: It was a truly sensational show but that tune and the final 'exit music' brought an alergic reaction out in some of us Scousers.
So many “Blue” songs he could have sung for us TB!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

geebot wrote: We were likely in that group.
Great - hope my 'singing' didn't put you off too much!
geebot wrote:Our suitcases had all sort of LFC kit packed in on the way back.
Oh dear - you could have got much better souveniers than that tat - next time you're in town, which I hope will be soon, make sure you head for Everton's retail outlets instead.
John wrote:
Top balcony wrote: It was a truly sensational show but that tune and the final 'exit music' brought an alergic reaction out in some of us Scousers.
So many “Blue” songs he could have sung for us TB!
Too true John.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Review by Andy Argyrakis published at Chicago Concert reviews .

"Elvis Costello waves “Hello Again!” and pumps it up during Chicago Theatre centennial

Whether jumping between punk, rock, alternative country and classical as a solo artist, leading The Attractions and The Imposters, or collaborating with everyone from easy listening legend Burt Bacharach, to southern soul man Allen Toussaint and hip-hop crew The Roots, Elvis Costello is amongst the more prolific and adventurous artists ever.

Since the late 1970s, he’s recorded well over 30 albums, leading up to a particularly steady streak that started with 2018’s “Look Now,” 2020’s “Hey Clockface,” 2021’s “Spanish Model” and resumes on January 22, 2022 with “The Boy Named If.”

In other words, the headliner, backed in this case by the rollicking Imposters, had a wealth of current and classic material to bring to his frequent stomping grounds of the Chicago Theatre, the landmark venue that just turned 100 and could’ve have aligned with a more exceptional singer/songwriter for its ongoing centennial celebration.

Costello used the front half of the “Hello Again!” Tour to mainly catch up faithful on his current whereabouts, especially after being sidelined for so long by the pandemic, and though some of the tunes had yet to be released (“The Death Of Magic Thinking,” “A Boy Named If,” “Penelope Halfpenny”), they all landed on respectful ears.

If anything, that quest for ongoing relevance allowed the audience to see just how sharp the 67-year-old cancer survivor remained when it came to crafting punchy rockers packed with memorable melodies, stinging solos and gusty vocals, all with his signature smarts and wit intact.

Come the back half, Costello really revved up with much of what put this Englishman on the map in America (and elsewhere), including a jazzed down edition of “Everyday I Write The Book,” a foreboding “Watching The Detectives” and so on down the lengthy list dating back to the local days of being discovered on 93XRT.

Either way, everyone soaked it in, sang along and offered several standing ovations for the veteran troubadour and “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love, And Understanding” interpreter, who dependably came across as engaging and intelligent as ever."

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Man out of Time wrote:Review by Andy Argyrakis published at Chicago Concert reviews .

"…the Chicago Theatre, the landmark venue that just turned 100 and could’ve have aligned with a more exceptional singer/songwriter for its ongoing centennial celebration.
Could’ve or could not have?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?