Great single / ordinary album

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Great single / ordinary album

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Many a time and oft have I been enticed to exchange my pocket money for a long player on the strength of one great song, only to find that that one song is all that I ever play.

For example:

Forever Changes by Love
Alone again or is a marvellous slice of the Summer of Love, but the album is a different kettle of fish altogether. Can't understand why it's held in such high esteem (perhaps I 'had to be there').

The La's by The La's
There She Goes is one of the best singles you'll ever hear, but the album is very ordinary.

Anything by Primal Scream. Some of their singles are mighty fine, but perhaps you need to be high (which I never am) to appreciate their albums.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
martinfoyle

Re: Great single / ordinary album

Post by martinfoyle »

Anything by Primal Scream. Some of their singles are mighty fine, but perhaps you need to be high (which I never am) to appreciate their albums.
Exterminator holds up all the way through, imo. A glorious noisy affair, I feel compelled to dig it out now and give the neighbourhood a blasting.
Poppet

Re: Great single / ordinary album

Post by Poppet »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote: ....
The La's by The La's
There She Goes is one of the best singles you'll ever hear, but the album is very ordinary.
ah, see, i really LIKED The La's. it was poppy. that's one cd i regret letting the ex keep. good summer music.

but, i do feel that way (great single/ordinary album) about the evanescence cd. the single is GREAT. the album, bleh.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

PorP will give you chapter and verse on the La's, but I would tend to agree with you. The single was stunning, the LP pretty average. I'vre always thought the Pretenders and the Police had that in common, great singles, often average LPs, especially the latter with the dreaded 'let the drummer contribute' moments, that make Ringo look like, well, John Lennon.