New Wilco album in June

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

New Wilco album in June

Post by BlueChair »

I know there are some Wilco fans on the board, so I thought I'd share this article from Billboard.com

Wilco Confronts New 'Ghost'

Wilco is at London's Abbey Road Studios mastering its next studio album, "A Ghost Is Born," due June 8 via Nonesuch. The 12-track set was recorded in New York with producer/Sonic Youth member Jim O'Rourke and engineer Chris Shaw, best known for his work on Bob Dylan's "Love and Theft." It will feature contributions from multi-instrumentalist Leroy Bach, who left the group last month.

"A Ghost Is Born" is the follow-up to 2002's acclaimed "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot," which was released by Nonesuch after the Jeff Tweedy-led group ended its relationship with Warner Bros. That set debuted at No. 13 on The Billboard 200 has sold 435,000 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan, making it the Chicago-based act's top-selling album to date.

The group is planning to tour in support of "Ghost" but for now, the only dates confirmed are May 2 at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif., and during the Bonnaroo festival in Manchester, Tenn., in mid-June.

Here is the track list for "A Ghost Is Born":

"At Least That's What You Said"
"Hell Is Chrome"
"Spiders (Kidsmoke)"
"Muzzle of Bees"
"Hummingbird"
"Handshake Drugs"
"Company in My Back"
"I'm a Wheel"
"Wishful Thinking"
"Late Greats"
"Theologians"
"Less Than You Think"

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Pov

Post by Pov »

This is really great news. Wilco is one of my favorite bands right now. It'll be tough following up Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, which IMHO is one of the classic records of all time. I hope Tweedy and the boys are up to the task!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I guess we'll see! A lot of those songs have been played live already, but knowing Wilco I'm sure they've evolved since then.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Handshake Drugs is on the latest Uncut cd and it's great. No big departure soundwise, just more of the same good stuff.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Some more Wilco news:

Wilco Confirms New Lineup, Spring Shows

In the wake of multi-instrumentalist Leroy Bach's recent departure, Wilco has confirmed two new members to join the band on tour this spring. Filling in on keyboards and guitar will be Pat Sansone, who has released two albums with Wilco bassist John Stirratt as the Autumn Defense, while veteran axeman Nels Cline will join in on guitar.

The new lineup will debut April 21 in Columbia, Mo. Beyond previously announced appearances at the Superfly During Jazzfest series and the Coachella and Bonnaroo festivals, Wilco will also play late April shows in Austin, Texas, Santa Fe, N.M., and Flagstaff and Tucson, Ariz., with support from Giant Sand's Howe Gelb. The lone international date at present will come May 28 at the Primavera Sound festival in Barcelona.

Wilco is gearing up for the release of its next studio album, "A Ghost Is Born," due June 8 via Nonesuch. It's the follow-up to 2002's acclaimed "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot," which debuted at a career-best No. 13 on The Billboard 200.

Here are Wilco's tour dates:

April 21: Columbia, Mo. (Blue Note)
April 23: New Orleans (Orpheum)
April 24-25: Austin, Texas (Stubb's BBQ)
April 27: Santa Fe, N.M. (Lensic Theatre)
April 28: Flagstaff, Ariz. (Orpheum)
April 29: Tucson, Ariz. (Rialto Theatre)
May 1: Indio, Calif. (Empire Polo Field / Coachella Festival)
May 28: Barcelona (Primavera Sound Festival)
June 11: Manchester, Tenn. (Bonnaroo Festival)

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
uselessbeauty?

Post by uselessbeauty? »

i'm trying to decide if i want to go to bonarroo to see them. i have a friend who's uncle is larry campbell (dylan's guitarist) and he says he can get me free tickets but, from everything i've hear bonarroo is a complete mess. but the sheer fact that there will be so many amazing muscians there makes me want to go. plus i've never been able to see wilco live. dylan is always great i just can't decide if it would be worth it to go see them at a festival.
i knew they were going to fire me after i stole the eighteen wheeler. so i quit first.
true story
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

DrS grew up in Nashville and when I mentioned Bonnaroo he said something like, "No way in hell would I go to that." :shock:
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.bonnaroo.com/swf-txt/base.html
Looks like an awesome lineup to me, wish I could be there. I'll have to make do with the Oxegen festival, http://www.oxegen.ie/ , pity Wilco wont be there.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Well, look who's in rehab.

This one I actually have sympathy for. Tweedy has MAJOR problems with migraines.

From Billboard:

Wilco lead singer Jeff Tweedy is entering rehab to address an addiction to painkillers, a spokesperson confirms to Billboard.com. "The treatment follows a well-documented history of Tweedy's battle with migraine headaches," reads a statement released by the Chicago group.

The release of Wilco's new Nonesuch album, "A Ghost Is Born," has been moved from June 8 to June 22 "to accommodate [Tweedy's] recovery."

There is no word yet as to whether the band will be able to honor its upcoming tour plans, which include a May 1 appearance at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival and a June 11 performance at the Bonnaroo festival in Manchester, Tenn.

Tweedy's struggles with migraines were on display in the Wilco documentary "I am Trying To Break Your Heart." In a key scene that illustrated the irreparable tension between he and since-departed band member Jay Bennett, Tweedy becomes sick to his stomach from a migraine while mixing the song "Heavy Metal Drummer" for the 2002 album "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot."

In Greg Kot's upcoming Wilco book "Learning How To Die," Bennett says the footage of Tweedy becoming ill is out sequence; Tweedy insists it is not.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.