names we like

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I had always wanted to call my daughter Stella, and it wasn't until I was actually with child that I realized Stella would rhyme with my surname. And this was nearly 7 years after I had acquired said surname.

As you might guess if you tried to imagine surnames that rhyme with Stella, my husband's family are from Italy, and we had a terrible time coming up with names for our son that didn't make him sound like he would have a very secure future working for the Mob. Danny 'The Snake' [insert identifiably ethnic surname]. Joey 'Five Fingers' .... Vito 'The Enforcer'..... You see what I mean.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
firebetty

Post by firebetty »

miss ba, what exactly is your connection with the ny times magazine?
:lol: the cover story was "what makes a name popular". an amusing yet inconclusive article.
i am a sucker for the name Reina.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

CLETUS
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

firebetty wrote:miss ba, what exactly is your connection with the ny times magazine?
My connection is that I read it online, and then start posts about things I read. I almost started one on Pabst Blue Ribbon last week.

Also, there is a woman with my last name and first initial who writes for the Metro section, but we're not in any way related.
firebetty

Post by firebetty »

miss ba you are too fabulous. i was thinking the name Fleur might suit you...
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

True Stories:

4th grade teacher: Ms. Skinner
5th Grade teacher: Mr. Fry

My mom's OB/GYN: Dr. Beaver
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Girly names:
Ruby, Madeline, Emma, Reina (means 'queen' in Spanish), Imani (means 'faith' in Arabic), Hope, Janeé (my little sister's name!).

Boys:
William, Elijah, Adam, Colin, Jack (a cute little boy named Jack! Who could resist him?), Quinn, Samuel.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
A rope leash

Hillbilly nomenclature

Post by A rope leash »

Here's some family names from my family and others here in the Ozarks:

Anther
Ola
Thiede
Thomas Hardy Abacore
Henry Herbert (call 'em "Bud")
Ezra
Pearl
Orena Estina
Turner
Ruby
Mildred Earlene
Verbon
Addie
Edwina
Marsanne
Kevin (ha ha ha! KEVIN!)
Opal
Constance Louise

You might laugh, but these are all close ancestors or people I know.

I've always thought that if I ever had a son, I'd call him Sol Turner. If I had a daughter, probably Ruby Marsanne.

Untill I was about twelve, I thought my name was "Dammit".
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i've got a aunt named Willodean.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

My sister once had a student named Tequila.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

My mom's family is from Arkansas, Rope, and we've got a few oddities, as well.

My grandfather's name is "Eulois" (pronounced YEW-less)
Met some of the cousins a few months back, the names were so god-awful I can't figure out HOW I could have forgotten them...

Oh, yeah, one was "Nilan" (NIGH-lan)...

I have an aunt named "Farrel Dean" (my mom's Bettie Jean), but the only person that ever gets away with calling her that is my dad (and that's only because she KNOWS he's just doing it to piss her off). Otherwise, she only answeres to "Mickie".

My husband had an uncle named "Alton", but he was from Minnesota, not the backwoods.

:D
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
A rope leash

Damned hicks...

Post by A rope leash »

Ever hear of a country singer called Faron Young? He absolutely exists...
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

You may have missed it, Rope, but I was a C & W "disc jockey" for almost 10 years.

Yeah, I'm aware.
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

SULKY: They certainly are some unusual family names you have there!! I never cease to be amazed at the names of American people on the Jerry Springer show. I dont think theres ever been a person on there with a 'normal' name, - they all seem to be made up ones ive never heard of! Is that the trend over there or are they really just made up for the show do you think?

The only made up name ive come across is when I was working at my sons primary school. A little girl in the class I was in was working in was called Rudelle which her mum made up..........poor little girl! :?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

Arlo Ezra. Don't ask me why, just like it. Mary Jane for a girl.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

my grandmother's name was Icey Lucille, and my sister's always been called Mae, even tho that has nothing to do with her name, so I was going to honor my grandma and my sis and name #2 daughter Lucy Mae. My husband hated it, so she ended up Susannah Josephine just so he could call her Josie. Which I like, and it was better than Harley Davidson....

my biology professor: Dr. Strange.
people I have written paychecks to: Precious, Tequila, Faron Young McCarter, Rose of Sharon Jenkins.

My uncles are Willie Doyle and Joe Frank.

Poppet, you don't have another aunt named Dolly, do you?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

A few of the names in my family are sadly funny. My paternal grandmother is from the heart of Mississippi, and her children were raised in an Indiana ghetto. So, the names with which my family members are saddled:

Dayveontre Dayshawn Marcel (yeah. just ONE name, bless his heart...what will the poor kid do when he's in kindergarten? Everyone calls him "D".)
LaShon
LaShay
Taewan (sounds like the country)
Jjuane (my mom's sister--pronounced Joo-WAN-ee)

My name is Sharmin. So, I can't really talk much...
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

mood swung wrote:
Poppet, you don't have another aunt named Dolly, do you?
nope. there's Dorris though. don't forget the second R, she was proud of it.

i think i shall adopt a family. aunt dolly, and cousin muppet. or better yet, get them to adopt ME. :)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

"You give me Faron Young, '4 In The Morning'" from the killer opening song of Prefab Sprout's Steve McQueen LP. That is a song by FY, right?

Verbon!!!!!!!! A prolific user of language with a predilection for the predicate, I hope.

My great aunt (dad's side, died at 102) was called Rena May, but was known as 'Tops' all her life, becuase my 2 year old grandfather said 'Tops' one day after her hair had been washed. My maternal grandmother (also 102, looks like I'll be on this board for a while to come) was called Hilda. Hilda Simkiss, no less. A true Manc, see, I am entitled. My mother-in-law is called Gladys.

My eldest son is called Cian (hard 'c'). Ancient Irish name. People think it's Ciaran, but they're wrong.