Post Your Picture

Post pictures of yourself, your family, or just things you found interesting.
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

so lacklustre wrote:join the dots
Now THAT'S what I call funny! Where do you get your ideas?
...the cost of living in sin would make a poor man out of Paul Getty...
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

from a join the dots puzzle book
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

my new niece.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Adorable! She needs a bib that says I Love My Auntie Deb!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

can we ban baby pictures? please.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

No. I like baby pictures.

and babe pictures, too.

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Me too:
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Yay! Beautiful Moody - more baby pictures!!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

so lacklustre wrote:can we ban baby pictures? please.
I know how gushy you get at the sight of itty bitty babies but you'll just have to control yourself so lack :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
A rope leash

goodness

Post by A rope leash »

That's a great movie, Otis...
Otis Westinghouse

Indeed. Hadn't seen it until recently when I got it for my 6-year old (or rather Santa did), and he and I were both mesmerised. Amazing stuff, really.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Me 'n some other hardy souls climbed Tonlegee Mountain in the Wicklow Mountains last week . In perfect conditions ( sunshine, light breeze, mostly firm ground) we walked for five hours.

That's me on the left .

......and, as usual, it was all about food -

Otis Westinghouse

I can almost taste the sandwiches and coffee from here. I bet they tasted fantastic up there after all the walking. Perfect day for it. the first two pics put me in mind of Beckett immediately and in particular a TV docu from way back that talked about his landscapes quoting a passage about bleak flat mountain/hill landscapes whilst showing similar scenery for Wicklow, which I believe Sam the Man had a great passion for walking among.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

the first two pics put me in mind of Beckett immediately and in particular a TV docu from way back
Verbal's fresh perspective points out something that should have been so obvious to me. Doubtlessly you are thinking of Seán O'Mórdha's Samuel Beckett: Silence to Silence (1987) which , like his documentaries on Joyce and Wilde, is the finest production I've seen.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Nice photos. How long is the drive from Dublin to the park? What was your total climb - 2,300-2,500 feet?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Getting an early start on a Saturday , it usually takes about a hour to get from Dublin to a start point , usually Laragh or Glendalough.

Tonlegee is 817 metres/2680 feet in altitude.It is the third highest mountain in the Wicklow Mountains National Park, after Mullaghcleevaun and Lugnaquilla.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Indeed. Hadn't seen it until recently when I got it for my 6-year old (or rather Santa did), and he and I were both mesmerised. Amazing stuff, really.
Otis. Spirited Away has been Olivia's favourite movie for nearly 2 years now. She really really loves it...thinks it is fantastic. 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Cool. I'd like to check out other of the Ghibli films to see how they compare, though by all accounts this is the pinnacle. Little Michael saw the still that I'd posted from the film on here yesterday when I was looking at the above photos and was impressed, especially when I showed him I'd done it and why. I then scrolled down and saw the ref to 'me or rather Santa' buying it for him and had to divert his attention away quickly! The perils of one's children finding out the truth about their parents from the internet!
johnfoyle wrote:Verbal's fresh perspective points out something that should have been so obvious to me. Doubtlessly you are thinking of Seán O'Mórdha's Samuel Beckett: Silence to Silence (1987) which , like his documentaries on Joyce and Wilde, is the finest production I've seen.
That must be the one, very memorable. It was me, by the way, not Verbal!
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Cool. I'd like to check out other of the Ghibli films to see how they compare, though by all accounts this is the pinnacle.
"Spirited Away" is excellent, but there are a number of Studio Ghibli films that are its equal.

One of the most heart rending anti-war films you could ever wish to see is "Grave of the Fireflies", two of the greatest childrens' animations you could ever wish to see are "My Neighbour Totoro" and "Kiki's Delivery Service" and for pure fantasy it is hard to go past "Laputa - Castle in the Sky", "Princess Mononoke", and "Nausicaa".

"Howl's Moving Castle" is also a very enjoyable film, but if you are at all familiar with teh Dianna Wynne-Jones book upon which it is based, you might find the changes to the storyline a little disconcerting - although there is an interview with the author and she certainly seems thrilled with what Miyazaki did with it.
Otis Westinghouse

Thanks Tim(e), I knew you were the man to provide the list! Princess Mononoke is the most familiar name there. Fopp were selling several of these for £7, so will check out some of the others. my 6 year oldd boy seems to be getting into the Japanese - I found him watching Charlie and the Choc fac in Japanese yesterday. Sounded great!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Tim(e) wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Cool. I'd like to check out other of the Ghibli films to see how they compare, though by all accounts this is the pinnacle.
"Spirited Away" is excellent, but there are a number of Studio Ghibli films that are its equal.

One of the most heart rending anti-war films you could ever wish to see is "Grave of the Fireflies", two of the greatest childrens' animations you could ever wish to see are "My Neighbour Totoro" and "Kiki's Delivery Service" and for pure fantasy it is hard to go past "Laputa - Castle in the Sky", "Princess Mononoke", and "Nausicaa".

"Howl's Moving Castle" is also a very enjoyable film, but if you are at all familiar with teh Dianna Wynne-Jones book upon which it is based, you might find the changes to the storyline a little disconcerting - although there is an interview with the author and she certainly seems thrilled with what Miyazaki did with it.
Are any of these as interesting for kids as Spirited Away?
Mind you, I never thought my 7 year old would be so keen on that one. What do adults know?!!
corruptio optimi pessima
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Jackson Monk wrote:Are any of these as interesting for kids as Spirited Away?
Mind you, I never thought my 7 year old would be so keen on that one. What do adults know?!!
Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbour Totoro are both very kid friendly - my 4yo and 7yo both thoroughly enjoy them (but they love Godzilla films and Ultraman). I guarantee that your kids will love both of these, not to mention yourself. I have seen them countless times and still enjoy them as much as the first time I saw them.

Princess Mononoke is probably not really aimed at younger kids, while Nausicaa and Laputa are probably borderline.

A couple of others that the kids will like are Murmer of the Heart (Mimi wo Sumaseba) and The Cat Returns (Neko no Ongaishi).

Grave of the Fireflies is probably a little to heavy for kids, but at the same time I would recommend it as something that all kids should be exposed to... best to watch it for yourself and then make your own call on that one.

Howls Moving castle is also one the kids will like - particularly if they could handle Spirited Away. It has a subtext relating to the futility of war (Miyazaki's anti Iraq film), but it is certainly in no way too scarey.
Last edited by Tim(e) on Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Cheers Tim(e)!!

I have ordered all of these (except Murmur of the Heart - they didn't have it) to rent from I love film.com (brilliant service).

many thanks
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

I must join one of those services.

I like exposing kids to things that are slightly unnerving without being terrifying. The parents turning into pigs is at the far end of the scale of what my six year old (or probably any six year old) should see. He tells me he doesn't think it's at all scary, though!
mood swung

gotta brag on my boy

Post by mood swung »

so that's a lousy picture. it sez: congratulations boys soccer, county champions. :D :D :D

tomorrow I'll post the picture of austin with his broken wrist.