Preordering the new reissues

Pretty self-explanatory
Branst

Preordering the new reissues

Post by Branst »

Is anyone preordering the new reissues? If so, from where?

How many of you are planning on getting the new reissues within the first couple weeks (preorder or not)?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I just noticed that amazon has dropped their AB and KV prices down to $US15 from $19. Don't forget to use the link on this site if that's your choice.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I oredered mine from http://www.play.com on Friday and they were at my work desk this morning 8)

They were £10.99 each.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Branst

Post by Branst »

bambooneedle wrote:I just noticed that amazon has dropped their AB and KV prices down to $US15 from $19. Don't forget to use the link on this site if that's your choice.
Where are the links?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Go to the top of any page in this site in the upper right hand corner. It will say "Shop Here". When you click there, it will take you to the Amazon.com and our site gets a percentage (although modest) of whatever you purchase.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Picking em up first thing in the morning from Buchanan St, Glasgow! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (that's good)
Branst

Post by Branst »

edit
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

So, any reports? (VG, LC?) Liner notes causing a thrill?

I got mine off amazon.co.uk rather than play.com as there was something else I wanted and they had that play.com didn't that took me over the £25 for free postage, thereby making it a bit slower! :( They've told me today that they've been dispatched. What about Kojak Variety? I take it it's still not showing anywhere as available in the UK. I had to order that from amazon.com.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

HMV (http://www.hmv.co.uk) lists Kojak with an August 2 release date, but it's true that it seems to be missing from some other UK sites like Amazon and Play.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Amazon.de (Germany) has as releasedates:

AB: august 2
GCW:august 2
KV: august 24 (!!)

So I expect the UK releasedate for KV to be around that time also.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Picked up the AB re-issue this afternoon (€23.99/$28.92 -sweet Jesus!), read the line notes in the dentist's waiting room. Excellent packaging, his writing style has improved immensely. Only new info to me was a detailed account of the recording of the George Jones duet, that said nothing startingly new. Very down on the RPO show in Jan 1992, so not much chance of that being properly released. Insightful comments on Billy Sherill, It'll be good hear all the tracks in premium quality. Apparently the GCW re-issue is available only in a surburban branch, bizarrely, hopefuly it will make its way into town soon.
Otis Westinghouse

Yes, but was it just a routine check, or something more unpleasant?

What was the '92 RPO show?
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I'm sure he means the 1982 show in the Albert Hall with the royal Philharmonic Orchestra which spawned the single version of I'm Your Toy.

Why didn't they release a bonus DVD of the South Bank Show documentary, just like I asked Rhino to do. Bastards!!!

€23.99 = Can wait.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Sour Milk Cow

Post by Sour Milk Cow »

I will second that. The South Bank Show about the making of Almost Blue is essential viewing, and I am sad that it won't be bundled with AB as a bonus DVD.

When I first heard AB, I didn't really care for it. I have grown to like it over time, but after watching the SBShow, my appreciation for it grew exponentially. I made me listen to the album in a whole new way, and it is fun to see EC & The Attractions in the studio with Billy Sherill.

The sad thing is that I don't know whether there would be a lot of demand for this film as a stand-alone DVD release. I can't imagine that there would be a great deal of enthusiasm for putting out a DVD relating to one of EC's least popular albums. But as part of a deluxe reissue of the album, it would have possibly raised the interest level in the album itself.

Too bad. I guess it will probably make the rounds as a bootleg DVD, for fans only. Which is absolutely fine, since there seems to be no willingness to release it legitimately.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I've mentioned this before, but I might put it into practice later in the year: A website that would host encoded versions of EC stuff not commercially available. I could actually host it now, because I am master of my own domain name, but have no real site attached to it.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

I've downloaded hundreds of Bowie bootlegs - mp3, wav, DVD mpeg from a hosted fan site - and these files have been uploaded in a number of various ways - BTINet, XDrive, personal sites, BitTorrent etc. I've been able to download Reality tour bootlegs within 36 hours of the concert - which is some achievement, and I've also downloaded 5 amateur DVD's from the tour.

The only rules are
- don't link to this site from other sites
- no files should be uploaded which are available commercially, no matter how rare
- do not trade mp3 sourced CD's - get the FLAC/WAV format instead

I'm an extremely happy Bowie chappy now that I've been able to download the 1978 tour DVD's, and the missing Ziggy/Jeff Beck clips from the Ziggy farewell concert AND I have good DVD's of the two 2004 Tokyo concerts.

I'd be more than happy to upload my EC wav and DVD rarities to an equivalent site. Dr J - my bootleg Bowie collection is about 20GB and EC is almost the same, so I wouldn't look to host all those files yourself. Let the fans do the sharing and just host some archived fan favourites on your own site/bandwidth.
Otis Westinghouse

My head is spinning a) with the prospect of treasure chests full of Costello and Bowie rarities and b) with the technicalities. Go for it, dudes, let the commercially unavailable gems be shared!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I've been downloading Torrents for a month or so now, and believe me, it beats the hell out of the snailmail option. Haven't used STG much, they've been going through a bad patch lately. Much better, imo, are these guys,
http://bt.easytree.org/index.php . They have high standards, absolutely no mp3s. Last weekend they had a collection of Norah Jones radio performances available. Massive reaction, still they took it down when it was found to consist of compressed files.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Torrents rule, can we start some EC torrents?

I like http://www.suprnova.org

And the Bowie stuff sounds cool.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Branst

Post by Branst »

I download torrents from sharingthegroove.org once in a while. Lately they haven't had much Costello stuff so I haven't been downloading too much.

It would be great if someone would put up some rare, unreleased, out-of-print Elvis Costello stuff. I'd be forever grateful. There's still lots of stuff I'd like to hear.