After Hours on DVD!!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
marblefaun

After Hours on DVD!!!!

Post by marblefaun »

Finally this is available on dvd! Definitely one of Scorsese's best!!

If you're not familiar with it..rent it, buy it, watch it.
It's a fun, NYsy movie with an interesting cast.
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

i´ll check it out... one of the very few Scorsese movie i havent saw...

thanks
Tim(e)

Re: After Hours on DVD!!!!

Post by Tim(e) »

marblefaun wrote:Finally this is available on dvd! Definitely one of Scorsese's best!!

If you're not familiar with it..rent it, buy it, watch it.
It's a fun, NYsy movie with an interesting cast.
There is actually a Scorsese collection that has just been released that includes Who's That Knocking At My Door, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Mean Streets, Goodfellas, and After Hours.... all titles are available individually as well as in the set.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Goodfellas was available before, wasn't it? I'm psyched about After Hours, a most underrated comedy.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

noiseradio wrote:Goodfellas was available before, wasn't it? I'm psyched about After Hours, a most underrated comedy.
Yes Goodfellas was available before, but as a "flipper" (meaning it was run over two sides of the disc).

This new release comprises two discs - one having the film (on one side in dual layer format) and one disc full of extras. The film has been digitally remastered (as well as the audio) and contains a couple of commentaries including one by Scorsese, cast and crew and one by ex-gangster Henry Hill and ex-FBI agent Edward McDonald.

And yes, I have to agree about After Hours... that is definitely one of my favourite black comedies and features Rosanne Arquette at her best.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Oooh! All great movies...except "Who's that Knocking at My Door", Scorsese's student movie, in every sense of the word. You've got to (almost) admire any movie where the hero woes the leading lady with a endless discussion of "The Searchers"...I'm still trying to find a woman that actually works on.

Definitely can't wait to see "Alice" and "After Hours" again -- both movies I really loved that I haven't seen since their original release.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Tim(e) wrote:This new release comprises two discs - one having the film (on one side in dual layer format) and one disc full of extras.
Thank goodness. I hate flipping that disc.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
alexv

Post by alexv »

One of the many great things about After Hours is that it has become almost a period piece reflecting the amazing changes that have taken place in downtown NY. In the early 80s when the movie appeared, parts of SOHO and Tribeca were still desolate haunts by night and were populated (sparsely) by the kinds of characters that appear in the movie. Today, the angst that the main character feels (an 80s yuppie, the original) about getting back uptown to his safe world, and the impossible obstacles that he has to overcome, are hard to imagine. The SOHO and Tribeca of today pose no dangers to even the dimmest of yuppies. I was trying to think if there was any part of manhattan which could take its place today and I can't come up with one. Maybe parts of Williamsburg in Brooklyn. Still, most of what I love about that movie is the way it depicts a downtown that no longer exists, and which was dying out even then. It's truly a great NY movie.
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

Very well put! I love the Andy Warhol feel myself.