Trashcan Sinatras etc.

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Trashcan Sinatras etc.

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I picked up their new album, "Weightlifting", on Jackson Monk's glowing recommendation and have been enjoying it enormously. They remind me a bit of Pernice Brothers - wistful, jangly guitars and all. Good stuff, thanks Jackson. Definitely not something I would have found without this board.

A few other listening pleasures, stolen from my sister's collection during her recent visit:

Elliott Smith's "From a Basement on a Hill"

Peter Case's "Who's Gonna Walk Your Crooked Mile?"
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Sam your sis has great taste if she's into Peter Case!
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yeah, she finds some interesting stuff. I was actually a big Plimsouls fan way back when, and I remember Case's first album, which was tremendous. But then I lost touch with what he was doing. Really a criminally underrated songwriter/guitarist.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

WSS - great to know we have another convert! 8) 8) :D

I'm off to get the Pernice Bros....never heard of them before, but sounds good to me.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:WSS - great to know we have another convert! 8) 8) :D

I'm off to get the Pernice Bros....never heard of them before, but sounds good to me.
Their most recent disc - "Yours Mine and Ours" is outstanding. One of my top five last year.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Sammy...I too was a Plimsouls fan. I even saw them play a reunion gig in San Francisco about 8 years ago with the drummer from Blondie at The Bottom of The Hill. Pete's CD Torn Again is one of my faves.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I too am now the proud owner of WEIGHTLIFTING. I found the expanded version with a 5-song DVD for $3 extra so sprung for it. Have only had one full listen but I can tell there's lots there to like... more to come....
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Wow, that makes four of us. :D
And if you get a chance, buy their early albums as well. Superb stuff.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

IP

I like bits of 'I've Seen Everything', and a lot more of 'A Happy Pocket'. However, 'Cake' was their best for me....until now that is.

'Weightlifting' has not left my player for 6 weeks now.... 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

The title track to this record makes me cry (though that's not so hard to do right now). One of those songs whose words sound comforting but whose musical effect is just to make you feel perfectly justified in your sadness....

I haven't had decent time to spend with this record but I already love it from a few listens. The DVD is a nice strightforward intro to the band, just seeing them play at KCRW's studios.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

And now, nearly 4 months later, I have gone to the show. Great stuff, if you have a decent tolerance for Sensitive Songs About the Human Condition, and really, what good are ya if you don't??

Highly recommend to anyone here-- tour is in little places, and it's a cheap, lovely night.