You Are the Quarry, or How I learned to Love Morrissey

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
pophead2k

You Are the Quarry, or How I learned to Love Morrissey

Post by pophead2k »

So I've always been a little ambivilent about Moz solo, but I am in love with this album. I got the special extended edition, with the bonus DVD and all that. I know this album has been discussed before, but I just got it. Other thoughts?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I bought the orignal CD and the single to get the B sides and now this - curse you special edition CD!!!

..but it is indeed a fine album and I love "the Never Played Symphonies"
, but Ive never really understood why people dont love the rest of Mozzers solo work - I think its all terrific - especially "Vauxhall and I" - even Maladjusted was unfairly dismissed in my opinion.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Great stuff...I saw Mozza before Xmas at the SECC and he was ace, the showman as ever...he came out in a priest's dogcollar and shirt as on the I have forgiven Jesus LP cover.
I'd say this is probably his finest solo album.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I think it's my album of the year, frankly. I've said lots more about it in other threads. There are about five songs that are utter gems. The sleeper for me was COME BACK TO CAMDEN, which is just a beaut. (See my location, at left...8) )

I love lots of his solo stuff. VIVA HATE is fantastic, save the offensive BENGALI IN PLATFORMS (much like this record's ALL THE LAZY DYKES, which I tried hard to find a way to understand, but um, nope, still very offensive). I have every reason to believe the guy's a crazed asshole in many ways, but I can't help but love him anyhow.

PS, Tallulah and I saw him when he swung through Boston last Fall. My second time seeing him, quite a great show.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

It's a great album.
If anyone asks me what is the best song of 2004 I will most probably say - First Of The Gang To Die, which is a gem of a pop song.
Some of the Morrissey solo stuff leaves me rather cold ( like Kill Uncle ) but the last one is really good.
My 3 favourite albums are : Viva Hate !! , Vauxhall And I , and You Are The Quarry.

Just listened to First Of The Gang again... - simply irresistible.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Where are tracks 13-21 from ont he platinum version? Are these B-sides, extra tracks, or what. This stuff is brilliant.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

They are B-sides of the first three singles off You Are The Quarry.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I was a little too ready to side with the critics who said 'we've waited 7 [or whatever it was] years, and it's more of the same', apart from the immediacy of First of the Gang and Let Me Kiss You, but then I found most of the LP was lovely to listen too and all of it was in my head at once. As well as Vauxhall and I, I love Your Arsenal, though of course that has the unsettlingly controversial National Front Disco, which I know we're not meant to read literally, but there's just too much heartfelt wistfulness in the line 'England for the English' for my liking. It works really well as a whole, and I think Mick Ronson showed himself to be a great producer on it.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
RinghioStarr

Post by RinghioStarr »

I think this is his worst effort - almost unlistenable: it's irritating.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

RinghioStarr wrote:I think this is his worst effort - almost unlistenable: it's irritating.
I'm curious to know why you feel it falls flat compared to his other stuff.
John

Post by John »

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Be prepared to wait several weeks, though. This has happened to me twice with this outfit. And no reply to emails, it seems.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more