There's A Story... - new single ??

Pretty self-explanatory
invisible Pole

There's A Story... - new single ??

Post by invisible Pole »

This comes from a tracklisting for one Phill Jupitus BBC shows:

THE WHAMMIE - The Eels: Beautiful Freak (1996)
Novocaine For The Soul/ Your Lucky Day In Hell

SotW: Elvis Costello - There's A Story In Your Voice (released 7th Feb)
AotD: Big Youth - Screaming Target (1973)
'SotW' means Single of the Week. Could it be true ?
Of course no sign of such a release on Amazon.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Hey, it's the same on Jonathan Ross page :
Title: 'I WISH I COULD JERK LIKE MY UNCLE CYRIL'
Artist: TIMEBOX
Album: THE GO GO TRAIN VOL 1
Label: SEQUEL

Title: 'THERE'S A STORY IN YOUR VOICE'
Artist: ELVIS COSTELLO
Album: (CD SINGLE)
Label: LOST HIGHWAY

Title: 'VERTIGO'
Artist: THE LIBERTINES
Single: SINGLE
Label: ROUGH TRADE
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Branst

Post by Branst »

I really hope studio versions of "I'll Watch Out For You" and "Unwanted Number" will be b-sides. I'll keep prayin'.
Danny

Post by Danny »

John

Post by John »

Wow - Elvis in UK airplay shock!
Maybe they'll relaunch the album over here as no one has bought it, present single disk company excluded.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Gilli - have you downloaded it yet? I know it's your fave. Like Hob Nobs.

:twisted: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Guardian review

-Elvis Costello & The Imposters
There's A Story In Your Voice (Lost Highway)

Particularly tragic Costello fans (is there any other kind?) will recognise this as, essentially, a cross-breeding of his two excellent 1986 albums, King Of America and Blood & Chocolate, which is to say that it's a wordy country song played by what sounds like a garage band with a grudge against the neighbours. Lucinda Williams, owner of one of the few voices more startlingly abrasive than Costello's, duets. Marvellous.
John

Post by John »

Elvis gets a second week on the BBC Radio 2 airplay B list.
TASIYV seems to have received a massive 3 plays last week, once by Jeremy Vine, once by Steve Wright and once by Mark Radcliffe. It's going to be a smash!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.uk-flava.com/news/live/templates/?a=926&z=5

Elvis Costello - There's A Story in Your Voice Digital Download

Elvis Costello and the Imposters release the rollicking, 'There's A Story in Your Voice', as a download only single, February 7th. The single is already B-List on Radio 2 and features a bravado performance from Lucinda Williams. It’s taken from Costello's wildly acclaimed new studio album, 'The Delivery Man' which has just been nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rock Album. Elvis is up for four Grammy's this year including best vocal performance for previous single, 'Monkey To Man'. The Times said, "'There's A Story In Your Voice' crackles with rude vitality" whilst The Daily Mail enthused, "Stupendous ... Lucinda Williams adds rough neck aplomb."

The duet is one of the many highlights of the new album, which finds Costello venturing into the musical landscape of the American south. 'The Delivery Man' was written by Elvis Costello and was recorded in April 2004 at Sweet Tea Studios in Mississippi on Lost Highway Records. The new album is Elvis Costello and The Imposters first album since 'When I Was Cruel' and was produced by Dennis Herring and Elvis Costello. The Times said, "'There's A Story In Your Voice' crackles with rude vitality" whilst The Daily Mail enthused, "Stupendous ... Lucinda Williams adds rough neck aplomb."

The Imposters are drummer Pete Thomas, keyboardist Steve Nieve and bassist Davey Faragher.

Following a critically acclaimed one off live date at the Glasgow Barrowland, Elvis Costello and The Imposters have announced new dates for February as follows:
February
Wed 9th BRIGHTON Dome
Thu 10th LONDON Hammersmith Apollo
Sat 12th BRISTOL Colston Hall
Sun 13th COVENTRY Warwick Arts Centre
Mon 14th EDINBURGH Usher Hall
Wed 16th LIVERPOOL Royal Court
Thur 17th SHEFFIELD Octagon
Fri 18th BUXTON Opera House Festival
Sun 20th MANCHESTER Bridgewater Hall

Published by : RSS Sys
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.musicomh.com/singles3/elvis-costello-2.htm

Elvis Costello - There's A Story In Your Voice (Mercury)
UK release date: 7 February 2005

That Elvis Costello can pen a tune is beyond question - I woke humming There's A Story In Your Voice. That country music is not a dilettantes detour for Costello is evident by his output as far back as 1981's Almost Blue. That as a lyricist he is capable of caustic wit and rare compassion has been apparent throughout his long career. It's such a pity that the song lacks his usually lyrical elan.

A duet with Lucinda Williams, the doyen of left field country, the mood is one of countrified southern soul reminiscent of James Carr or Solomon Burke in overdrive. The Imposters' surging tense R'n'B rumble conflicts attractively with the country tinged guitars and tambourine counterpoint. A boxcar rhythm rattles pasted on tracks travelled by Green On Red and Jim White. Costello's worn raspy bark blends wonderfully with William's grits, gravel and gravy voice.

The gumbo groove is solid, tight, urgent but lacking something. Unfortunately the lyrics are Costello by numbers - a couple of pithy lines here, a pun there, but lacking depth or drive. This undermines the song. Leaving well intentioned, beautifully rendered but ultimately soulless pastiche.

- Tony Heywood
John

Post by John »

What a joke. The "single" appears to have received just one play all week on Radio 2 despite it's "b-list" status.
I've just e-mailed the station to complain and will report back with any reply.
John

Post by John »

In reply to my message
Dear Radio 2

As a big fan of Elvis Costello I was delighted to see his new "single"
on your playlist. Looking through the Music Played sections of your
presenters I can only see one play all week for There's A Story In Your
Voice with Lucinda Williams. His last single Monkey To Man also barely
got a play on the station and didn't make the playlist at all. Come on
Radio 2 give Elvis some airplay. He's a great British artist still
making great music after 28 years and I think we should hear more from
him on the radio

Thank You
I received back
Dear John

Thank you for your comments which have been noted.

Best wishes

Mark Simpson

BBC Radio 2
A resounding success there then.
Fishfinger king

There's a story

Post by Fishfinger king »

Am I being stupid but what is the point of releasing a download only single? Everybody interested will already have it on TDM. B-sides are the only selling point for suckers like us who have already shelled out for 2 versions of TDM and tracked down the 4 track Monkey to Man single. My only hope was that somebody would have erased Lucinda Williams' contribution - no such luck! :?
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

One point is that some radio stations will only play official singles..
What this world needs is more silly men.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Oh my gawd....if it is a single it will be his biggest flop in the charts yet!! :roll:

Lets hope he chokes on his hob nobs before its recorded!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

Actually this song (without LW) is the highlight of the Austin City Limits show. It really comes across as a live song and is much better without LW.
laughingcrow

Re: There's a story

Post by laughingcrow »

Fishfinger king wrote:Am I being stupid but what is the point of releasing a download only single? Everybody interested will already have it on TDM. B-sides are the only selling point for suckers like us who have already shelled out for 2 versions of TDM and tracked down the 4 track Monkey to Man single. My only hope was that somebody would have erased Lucinda Williams' contribution - no such luck! :?
I'd imagine that 'the powers who control EC's publicity' thought that he might make some foray into the download chart....which seems more likely than he would with the sales chart.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Although this was a 'download only single' it did get an actual disc release for 'promo' purposes , as this disc I just got proves -
ImageImage

ImageImage