El Vez asks Miss Buenos Aires

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

El Vez asks Miss Buenos Aires

Post by El Vez »

It's not right that one of our hall of fame members hasn't hit the 1,000 post mark yet. So, nice guy that I am, I thought I'd help.

Miss Buenos Aires, what are your top 5 signs that a first date is going really, really well?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Sign 1: I show up, and he's as cute in broad daylight as he was after seven vodka tonics in a dim bar.
Sign 5: We wake up in Bali.

Signs 2-4 are just gravy.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

1. Given the enormous amount of airtime alloted to the Schiavo case by all of the major networks (to the point that it became outright necrophilia) don't you think it would have been a smart move to devote, say, a third of that time to having a clear-eyed, honest and levelheaded discussion about bulimia in an attempt to educate a nation of young girls who are bombarded with the wrong information about dieting and fitness every single day? Of course, that might be too much to ask for considering how the same networks are also largely responsible for giving them a fucked up notion of human beauty in the first place. And, not to split hairs or anything, but the whole sad, sad story of Terri Schiavo was none of our fucking business in the first place.

2. Do you think that it even occured to those fringe "activists" arrested for attempting to bring bottled water into Terri Schiavo's room that it would have drowned her to death if they had succeeded in pouring the water down her throat?
miss buenos aires

1- Well, discussions of bulimia maybe wouldn't have been less germane than everything else that was floating around. I'm not sure if I should really hold forth on this one too much, since I am a devotee of America's Next Top Model, and therefore, part of the problem.

2- I never really got that bit. What irritated me was how the New York Times showed pages of photos of people vigiling and crying about this woman they didn't even know, without any photos of counterdemonstraters, whereas whenever anyone demonstrates against the war, or for reproductive rights, the papers always focus on the counterdemonstraters!

What really bothered me about the Schiavo case was not the personal decisions involved, it was Congress basically throwing the rule of law out the window and elbowing its way into what should be a family matter. Bush came back early from vacation to try and get that tube back in?! Strange behavior for a man who signed a bill in Texas allowing a hospital to take a small boy off life support--against his parents' wishes--because they could no longer pay for it. And now DeLay wants to impeach the judges in the lower courts who ruled that the tube be taken out. What's up, checks and balances?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

What throws me is that when Bush was governor he was famous (some might say infamous) for taking a mere ten to fifteen minutes to review capital punishment cases before signing off on the death warrant even when there was compelling evidence in some instances that the convicted person might have been innocent after all. Bush's defense was that he trusted the courts in matters of life and death.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Oh...another question!

Pip_52 - Does that girl rock some "Evil Genius" eyebrows or what?
miss buenos aires

Especially when she's peering out through beautifully mascaraed lashes...
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I try to only use my eyebrows for good ...
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Men are also bombarded with stuff saying they should be in perfect shape, not just women. It just so happens that most men (maybe more accepted in Europe) don't admit that they want to look good and go on diets ect.

At my ripe age....no diet, giant gut. That's a fact of life, but I don't feel pushed to an eating disorder over it, although I only eat tuna fish and turkey :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

miss buenos aires wrote:Sign 1: I show up, and he's as cute in broad daylight as he was after seven vodka tonics in a dim bar.

I think I'm blushing. And not just because I'm married. But if things change, I'll just have to figure out how to get to Bali.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Miss Buenos Aires,

I know this girl, let's call her G Money, who has this amazing intellect and yet harbors all these wacky superstitions about sports. She posted something about the Philadelphia Eagles right before the Super Bowl and when they lost, she partly blamed that handful of "rally the troops" posts for the fall. Then she decided *not* to post about the NCAA tournament and her beloved Tar Heels just so happened to win the tourney. Is there anything I can do, as a concerned party, to help her before she starts wearing "lucky" socks for six straight weeks? 'Cause I think she's headed down that road.....
miss buenos aires

I firmly believe in all sorts of superstitions, including the dorky underwear reverse jinx. I'm sure many of us have jinxed ourselves by wearing sexy underwear to what we thought was a sure thing, only to return home with our sexy underwear unadmired--and of course, it's our own fault for wearing that underwear in the first place, and tempting fate. That's where the dorky underwear reverse jinx comes in--but I warn you, it is an advanced technique, and you don't want to find yourself in a Bridget Jones-y situation.

Other workable superstitions include: making sure to be in a bad mood in Vegas so that you will win money (note: bad mood must not be financially-related), starting work to ensure that something interesting and distracting, like a cat, will come over, and buying new clothes for any occasion whatsoever. As far as sports goes, I am completely clueless, but I support anything that prevents sports fans from discussing their favorite team, so I think a lucky vow of silence is a very good idea.
bobster

Post by bobster »

miss buenos aires wrote:Other workable superstitions include: making sure to be in a bad mood in Vegas so that you will win money (note: bad mood must not be financially-related)
This is absolutely proven, scientific fact.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
miss buenos aires

wardo68 wrote:
miss buenos aires wrote:Sign 1: I show up, and he's as cute in broad daylight as he was after seven vodka tonics in a dim bar.

I think I'm blushing. And not just because I'm married. But if things change, I'll just have to figure out how to get to Bali.
But you won't have to figure anything out! It'll just happen, you'll see...
Declanation

Post by Declanation »

Very funny!

Mine would be something like;

1) She shows up and she has all her teeth.

actually 1 would be enough.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'd be happy if she just showed up. The teeth thing would be a bonus!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

VG & Declanation: If you are that into teeth I would have though the bonus would be that she could take them out and lend them to you!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
miss buenos aires

verbal gymnastics wrote:I'd be happy if she just showed up. The teeth thing would be a bonus!
Low standards...I like that in a man...
Declanation

pulse

Post by Declanation »

Hell, if she had a pulse I'd be satisfied.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Gillibeanz wrote:VG & Declanation: If you are that into teeth I would have though the bonus would be that she could take them out and lend them to you!! :lol:
As long as she didn't have a set of teeth like a bag of chisels.

And MBA - if you thought my standards were low, what about Declanation's? :shock:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Sleater-Kinney or LeTigre?
miss buenos aires

Sleater-Kinney, by a country mile. New album out 24 May! Woo-hoo!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I like Kinney ok, but that Sleater chick bugs me.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Do you ever wish you were a contestant on ANTM?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Kinda on the same subject here but if some network were to make a reality tv show about your life.....what would it be called?