How do you tell the difference?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Pov

How do you tell the difference?

Post by Pov »

From the Associated Press:

"We asked for an alligator, we paid for an alligator and unfortunately we did not get an alligator." - University of Florida spokesman Steve McClain, after a crocodile - not the school's namesake "Gator" - was put on the cover of its 2003 football media guide.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

If memory serves, one's teeth show when it closes its mouth and one's does not. There are other differences, but my herpetology is rusty (I'm being treated for it).
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Crocodiles have pointy-er noses and are greener.

Alligators have broader noses and are darker.

There are exceptions, which can be distinguished by looking at the teeth, as Ms. Mug points out. A crocodile's teeth stick out when the mouth is closed.

So says scientist man-of-the-house.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I can't wait for football to start!!!!!! it's not quite as much fun to hate them now that Spurrier is gone, but I'll do my best.

Go Vols!!!!!!!!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Don't get me started Mood Swung...at least I don't think we have any Georgia fans on here!!!!
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Right here's my chance to show off and do my profession proud...

First off Alligators live in freshwater rivers, lakes and marshes, Crocodiles prefer coastal, saline or brackish ecosystems.
Alligators are darker grey in colour (Juvenile alligators can be more colourful with yellowy markings on their dark bodies.) while crocodiles are light tan to browny green.

Shape of the head is easiest way to tell by eye.. crocs have longer and narrower skull and jaws (this is difficult to distinguish if you can't see both types though, and lets face it, if you had a croc coming at you, you wouldnt stare for long)

When an alligator closes its mouth, the longer teeth slip into sockets in the jaw and you can't see them, in crocs the teeth remain visible, protruding from the jaw. So if you see teeth, you'll be running away from a crocodile.
Also, you should remember never to smile at a crocodile, alligators of course smile politely back.

Selfmademug and Goodytwoshoes...im impressed...you've been watching too much Steve Irwin!
Last edited by laughingcrow on Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A rope leash

Reality

Post by A rope leash »

Like, if I ever step on one, I won't be asking, "...hmmmm, is that a croc or a gator?".

But the arguement will go on. No, he was ate by a crocodile. No, I tell you, it was an alligator.

Perhaps a cayman?