Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Cover of Pump It Up used to promote video game

Post by johnfoyle »

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051017/clm026.html?.v=23

( extract)

GameTap Offers 'a New World of Videogames' With National Marketing Campaign
Monday October 17, 6:00 am ET
Turner's newest network supported by 360-degree mix of advertising, an intricate web of viral marketing, short-form video programming, events and more

ATLANTA, Oct. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- GameTap, the first-of-its-kind broadband entertainment network from Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. (TBS, Inc.), today unveiled its groundbreaking marketing campaign. Launching 10/17/05, GameTap delivers hundreds of the greatest games-on-demand plus original programming via a broadband-connected PC. The downloadable video game application will be supported by a landmark combination of print, online and TV advertising; a widespread viral campaign; experiential opportunities; public relations and quick bursts of original programming, under the tagline of "Expand Your Playground."

TV Advertising

Beginning today, :15- and :30-second "All About the Games" TV spots begin airing nationwide. Each of the spots features a montage of games themed around key gaming absolutes (e.g. power-ups, fighting and dying). For example, "What Are You Fighting For" features fight scenes from dozens of games - from Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness to Beyond Good and Evil to Golden Axe to Streets of Rage.

Music is a continual theme in GameTap's launch, and the music for the TV spots features well-known hits that tie to the gaming themes, and have been updated by new artists, including:

- Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot," covered by up-and-coming
band My American Heart for the "What Are You Fighting For?" spot
- Danko Jones' update of Elvis Costello's "Pump it Up" for the "How Do
You Power Up?" spot

- The Bee Gees' "Stayin' Alive," remixed by Thomas Troelsen, producer/DJ
for Junior Senior, for the "How Will You Die?" spot
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Important Information.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bump, bump!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Isn't Tom Waits suing a car for covering one of his songs on an advert like this?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

laughingcrow wrote:Isn't Tom Waits suing a car for covering one of his songs on an advert like this?
I believe it wasn't a cover of one of Tom's songs, but it was a song in the "style" of Tom Waits.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I wonder what percentage of Elvis overall financial worth comes from the royalties of that single song alone? Healthy, I'm sure.

Interesting considering that I don't think it even came close to cracking the Top 40 in the U.S. (I'm not even sure it was a single here.)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sweetest punch wrote:
laughingcrow wrote:Isn't Tom Waits suing a car for covering one of his songs on an advert like this?
I believe it wasn't a cover of one of Tom's songs, but it was a song in the "style" of Tom Waits.
And didn't Tom Waits successfully sue?
bobster wrote:I wonder what percentage of Elvis overall financial worth comes from the royalties of that single song alone? Healthy, I'm sure.
Elvis said he refused $1million by Nike to use Pump It Up didn't he?

I would say Alison must have provided him with a lot of his royalties for other people covering his song - I would have thought Linda Ronstadt's (bleugh!) version of it made him a mint.

Pump It Up has been used a lot in America hasn't it? Isn't it used on a basketball show?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.enablermail.com/bmg/emailonl ... hid=223936

Scroll down to find -

' "Pump It Up", written by Elvis Costello, has been used in the trailers for the new film 'The Man'.' ( from Sept .05)

http://www.bmgmusicsearch.com/uk/asx/sh ... railer.mov