Lucinda Williams & The Jayhawks

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

Lucinda Williams & The Jayhawks

Post by El Vez »

Even though it's almost a month away, I am incredibly excited about getting to see them perform on a double bill in Asheville. Has anyone on the board seen Lu or The Jayhawks live?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've had the pleasure of seeing both, and am hoping to catch at Massey Hall in Toronto in October. Though I think Lucinda Williams is the headliner, and The Jayhawks are simply the opening act.

I saw Lucinda open for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers during their Echo tour in 1999. She mostly played songs from Car Wheels On A Gravel Road, and definitely won much of the audience over.

I saw The Jayhawks in a small club during their Smile tour in 2000. The air conditioning wasn't working in the clbu and their equipment hadn't arrived yet, so the band kept walking through the venue trying to figure out what was going on. Eventually they played, and they delivered a great set, including covers of William Bell's "You Don't Miss Your Water", The Byrds' "Lost My Drivin' Wheel." One thing that really pissed me off is that before they were done playing, the friend who I had gone with was urging me that we should leave because it was getting late. Ugh. I later read that they closed the performance with a cover of Neil Young's "Revolution Blues"! I will definitely have to see them again.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I saw Lucinda Williams twice on the "Car Wheels" tour. The first time was at the Somerville Theatre - a sit down show, with Jim Lauderdale opening. A nice show, but our seats were towards the back of the balcony and they don't serve beer there. We watched about 3/4 of Lucinda's set and we went accross the street and caught the last 4 or 5 songs of Kelly Willis' - and put down a couple of Coronas. It was eating at me the whole night that Kelly was playing accross the street at Jimmy D's - and Kelly ended with "Heaven's Just A Sin Away" - a Jim Lauderdale tune.

A couple of months later, Lucinda rocked Lupo's - the bar in Providence that Elvis just played - plenty of fun that night. She has a crack band and they should have fun with the material on the new album. I'm going to try to make it to the Boston show in October.

The one complaint about both shows was the extended jam on "Joy" - I have a tough time with guitar wanking.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Checking out Pollstar and I see that Lucinda WIlliams is playing at Lupo's in Providence on the 10th of October, I pump my fist in the air and I'm ready to click into ticketmaster when I realize I'm out of town that day. :cry:

We'll be in Las Vegas for the big 4-0 b-day weekend and the best we can come up with to see so far is Penn & Teller. Perhaps Lucinda could rearrange her schedule around mine. I may have to break down and go see her in Boston at the Orpheum on the 7th - but I hate being restricted by a seat and they don't always let you take beer back to your seats there. Lupos is ideal.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

It sounds like The Jayhawks, in one form or another, will be getting back together.

http://www.creekdipping.com/
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah... I'm not sure I would say that necessarily. Mark Olson & Gary Louris have played a bunch of shows together since just before the Jayhawks announced their unofficial breakup. Olson had quit the band in 1995 so this reunion of sorts is best compared to something like the McGuinn, Clark & Hillman project that the three original Byrds members started up in the late 70s.

Rumor has it that Olson & Louris might make an album together, but I don't think they are doing it under The Jayhawks name.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

I've seen the Jayhawks twice. Great show both times.