Russell Crowe quotes Elvis, March '09

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Russell Crowe quotes Elvis, March '09

Post by johnfoyle »

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story ... 25,00.html

Rusty's on a long musical journey

January 20, 2006

FROM Yamba to Los Angeles and back to Newtown in less than a week, Russell Crowe is going to great lengths to further his musical career - literally.

Hot off the plane from Hollywood's glittering Golden Globe Awards, Rusty pulled off a top-class gig with his band The Ordinary Fear of God on Wednesday night when he was unexpectedly joined on stage by legendary singer Elvis Costello.

Eclectic popstar Costello, who is in town for the Sydney Festival, thrilled Rusty's resident audience at Newtown venue The Vanguard when he accepted the invitation to sing a few numbers with the Hollywood star and singer.

Not a bad way to cure the post Golden Globes blues for the big guy, who missed out on the best male actor gong, which went to Philip Seymour Hoffman.

"It was a pretty big mission for him to do the show given he'd just flown in from LA, but having Elvis there perked him up considerably," Vanguard booker John Cass told Confidential. Post-show, the unlikely duo headed up to the band room where they hung out sinking beers until about 2am.

Crowe heads back to The Vanguard next week before playing at Parliament House in Canberra for the Australia Day Live 06 concert. Rusty will play his first gig at annual Tamworth twang-fest, the Country Music Awards on January 28.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

"Sinking beers" ?! :shock:

I thought Elvis said he was a teetotaller ? Unless he doesn't think of beer as alcohol, or it was alcohol-free....
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

invisible Pole wrote:"Sinking beers" ?! :shock:

I thought Elvis said he was a teetotaller ? Unless he doesn't think of beer as alcohol, or it was alcohol-free....
Excellent, Dec's back on the drink. Now maybe he and Crowes band will knock off an album worth of sub 2 minute rockers raging against all thats wrong in the world today. Or maybe not.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Even before reading the other responses, I thought, "How drunk was EC to want to join that guy onstage?"

Maybe Diana likes Russell.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

That picture with the cool shirt and the telecaster makes me happy. I have the same shirt and the same telecaster.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
E*C*RIDER

Post by E*C*RIDER »

[quote="wardo68"], I thought, "How drunk was EC to want to join that guy onstage?"

quote]

Well why don't ya just ask Russ yerself. THAT would be interesting!
"...i feel almost possessed,
so long as i don't lose this glorious distress..."
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

noiseradio wrote:That picture with the cool shirt and the telecaster makes me happy. I have the same shirt and the same telecaster.
Is that a '62 reissue? I used to have one of those, 'til my house got robbed. Great guitar. I still miss it.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I wonder what songs they sung. Who'll be first to say Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport or Waltzing Matilda? :lol:

Or perhaps they put music to Russell's previously rejected Oscar acceptance speech.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

well this is alarming. since i heard elvis say a few months back that he didn't drink "at all", that he just "lost his taste for it", and was "one of the lucky ones", there has been something on this site about him coming out of a wine store and now this. i have not heard russell crowe's music and i doubt if i will. come to think of it, i haven't seen russell crowe's movies and that no doubt would be a better place to start.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
verbal gymnastics

Perhaps he's a secret wine and ale drinker. Ah right ah right ah right!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Perhaps he's a secret wine and ale drinker. Ah right ah right ah right!
:lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Loads more great photos -

http://photobucket.com/albums/v630/Jess ... eVanguard/

including

.....and this account -

http://www.murphsplace.com/crowe/news.html

"After doing the first two songs of the encore - My Hand, My Heart and Breathless - at this most recent Vanguard show, Russell told the crowd, "And now we have a surprise for you." He looked excited himself about that upcoming surprise. When he said, "Paging Declan Patrick MacManus," I understood why he had that excited look. I now had the same look. For someone who has loved the songwriting and performances of Declan Patrick MacManus (also know here and there as Elvis Costello), seeing him walk out on that Vanguard stage, accept the offer of Alan' Fender and posiition himself between Russell and Alan has to be one of the single most delightful moments at any show I've ever been to. It would only get better: First, Elvis joined them on Folsom, and then on both Easy and Free and Molly Malone. And then it was time for Elvis to lead the rest of them in, of all songs, Wild Thing. It is going to be a very long time before any show gets better for me than it was tonight in the Vanguard."
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

From PoP, eclistserv
I neglected to note in my report(on Fridays show) that EC mentioned
getting up on stage with Russell Crowe a couple of
nights earlier.

He also read the news report that he was seen drinking
beers with Russell Crowe after the show. "If you
believe what you read in papers," EC remarked with a
grin, "I've only just recovered from the hangover".

I think EC is trying to tell us that we wasn't
drinking beers with Russell after the show...

PoP
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/060118.php

2006-01-18: Sydney, The Vanguard; special guest during concert by Russell Crowe
Elvis Costello with Russell Crowe and The Ordinary Fear Of God

Folsom - EC on guitar
Easy And Free - EC on guitar
Molly Malone - EC on guitar
Wild Horses - EC on vocal & guitar

Accounts of other Crowe shows suggest ' Folsom ' is Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues."

Similar research suggests' Easy And Free' is 'I'm a Man You Don't Meet Every Day' , a traditional tune covered by the Pogues on the album Elvis produced , Rum , Sodomy and The Lash.......with a lead vocal by Cait O'Riordan.

Molly Malone is a traditional Irish tune .

Unless John E. has other info. I believe he has mistakenly listed the Jagger/Richards tune 'Wild Horses' as the last track - other accounts suggest it was the Chip Taylor/ Trogg's 'Wild Thing'.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,359 ... 60,00.html

(extract)

Crowe, who ran an Auckland music venue when he was 18 and toured in several bands in the early 80s, said sceptics still dogged him, though he had been a musician most of his life.

"I've gone past the struggle in terms of recognition or financial success. But here's this situation where I'm a songwriter that is treated as a peer by people like Billy Bragg or Sting or Elvis Costello, yet totally slagged off by an ill-informed portion of the media, who (find it) really convenient to slag it off," he said yesterday.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Wow that's sad.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis guests with Russell Crowe, Sydney , Jan. 18th '06

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.cleveland.com/people/index.s ... attem.html

Wednesday April 01, 2009, 6:00 AM

(extract)

Russell Crowe's apparent attempt at humor backfired Sunday during Britain's popular Empire Awards ceremony. His brief appearance -- clocked by the Daily Mirror newspaper at 4 and a half minutes total -- became the running joke throughout the evening, with on-stage mocking from fellow winners James McAvoy and Viggo Mortensen, among others.

Crowe, sporting a dark suit and newly short hair, then went straight to the stage, where he pulled out a sheet of paper and began reading a hodge-podge of song lyrics and poetry by everyone from John Lennon and Elvis Costello to Rudyard Kipling.

http://www.empireonline.com/awards2009/ ... fetime.asp

Empire Awards , London , March '09

Russell Crowe

"Good evening. Words! (produces notes) 'I am celebrating my love for you with a pint of beer and a new tattoo. Imagine there's no heaven. I don't know if you're loving somebody. To be a poet and not know the trade, to be a lover and repel all women. Twin ironies by which great saints are made, the agonising pincer-jaws of heaven. if you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, or walk with kings but not lose the common touch, if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you, If all men count with you, but none too much. If you can fill the unforgiving minute with ixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it. And what's more, you'll be a man, my son. It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your breath away.' Thank you for this honour, and the opportunity to read some poetry at a British awards ceremony. It's one of my favourite things to do. Thank you and good night."
verbal gymnastics

Re: Russell Crowe quotes Elvis, March '09

And a Billy Bragg quote too!