Lost in Translation

Pretty self-explanatory
E.C. Lover

Lost in Translation

Post by E.C. Lover »

I just saw the movie trailer for the new Sophia Coppola film "Lost in Translation", and Bill murray was singing a karaoke version of "What's so funny 'bout(peace,love,and understanding)"
Looks fabulous.
That could be one of the coolest Elvis covers of all time?
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

From the reviews the movie's getting, it looks as though Nick will be picking up many hefty royalty cheques from it, and maybe from a soundtrack album too. I've seen the trailer, and it features Elvis' version of the song as well. Maybe it's in the picture, or maybe just used in the trailer.

I'm seeing this picture.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I mentioned this about a week ago, and nobody responded to my post... I guess that's what I get for posting about it in The Annex :D

The film had it's North American debut at the Toronto International Film Festival. Unfortunately tickets were sold out, but I will definitely be going to see it when it gets released (sometime in the next few months I believe)
bobster

Post by bobster »

This sounds great. And we all know that Bill is a much better singer than Henry Thomas's older brother in "E.T."

Also it's another possible big pay day for the great Mr. Lowe....wonder what percentage of his net worth is directly atttributable to that one, undeniably great song? (Which he says he didn't even "mean" when he first wrote it....)

Actually, the movie is benefitting from some major buzz. Apparently, it's really good. I hope the word is correct, 'cause the director, Sofia Coppolla has some major movie-reparations to make. (As an actress, she was a big part of why "Godfather III" pretty much blew; daddy allowed her to cowrote his abominable segment of "New York Stories", but that's really his fault -- actually, they're both his fault, come to think of it)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

"Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars..."
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Has anybody seen Sofia's first film, The Virgin Suicides? I haven't seen it, but apparently it's quite good. Lost In Translation is Sofia's second film as director.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I found Virgin Suicides accidentally a while back on a movie channel while flipping through cable stations one night. It was very close to the beginning of the movie so I kept watching. I have watched it again a couple of times, and every time I just can't believe the ending. I thought it was a great movie though.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Here's a story for ya'll:

A friend of mine from the elementary school days is a big, big film buff and has been going to a lot of the screenings at the Toronto International Film Festival. Yesterday he told me he went to see Coffee & Cigarettes, directed by Jim Jarmusch. Before the movie, Jim was onstage with Iggy Pop and Cate Blanchett giving out t-shirts.

And here's the icing on the cake... sitting in front of my friend was Francis Ford Coppola and Sofia Coppola. And here's the funny part.. my friend INTERRUPTS their conversation to get HER autograph and not his!
bobster

Post by bobster »

Ouch. Well, considering Francis' recent strike of flops, it's to be expected....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

I saw Lost today. Understated, almost to a fault. I never could quite figure out the general disenchantment of the two characters. Perhaps that was the intention. Overall, I enjoyed it, but wasn't quite blown away. Though I have fallen in love with Scarlett Johnson, whom I didn't recognize from "The Man Who wasn't There" till my girlfriend pointed her out to me.

The scene that summed up everything for me was the final meeting between the two. An extremely personal moment which the audience was, to a certain extent, not invited to. The whispers between two people that the rest of the world doesn't get to hear. Yes, that was powerful.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I went to see Lost In Translation on Saturday night, and was blown away. It's nice to see Bill Murray in such a good role. He still has his typical cynical, dry humour, but at the same time delivers it in a largely dramatic way. Scarlett Johansen (who I enjoyed in Ghost World and The Man Who Wasn't There) also did an amazing job.

The whole movie had a real tired, jet-lagged feeling to it. Like the characters, we are tired in this animated, hi-tech world that is Tokyo.

Highly recommended. The karaoke scene that has been mentioned is definitely a highlight.