Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Dylan, Elvis- St. Louis, MO, Oct. 22 '07

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone going?

Preview -

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entert ... enDocument

(extract)

Neither Dylan nor Costello was available for an interview. But let's dip into their songbooks, play a little lyrical mix-'n'-match, and speculate about which — if any — of these bon mots they'll be dropping at the Fox.

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING

Costello: Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused ("The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes")

Dylan: I used to care, but things have changed ("Things Have Changed")

PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS:

Costello: You can get money for blood

Blood money for doing no good ("Love for Tender")

Dylan:

Money doesn't talk, it swears. ("It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)")

IT JUST WASN'T MEANT TO BE

Costello:

And though the passion still flutters and flickers

It never got into our knickers

("Just About Glad")

Dylan:

When your rooster crows at the break of dawn

Look out your window and I'll be gone

("Don't Think Twice, It's All Right")

SAY IT 10 TIMES FAST

Costello:

The radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools trying to anesthetize the way that you feel ("Radio Radio")

Dylan:

Where Ma Raney and Beethoven once unwrapped their bed roll

Tuba players now rehearse around the flagpole ("Tombstone Blues")

Writer's block can happen to anyone

Costello:

Oh, I just don't know where to begin

("Accidents Will Happen")

Dylan:

If there's an original thought out there, I could use it right now

("Brownsville Girl")

ORDER UP!

Costello:

I asked for water, and they gave me rosé wine ("Uncomplicated")

Dylan:

One more cup of coffee 'fore I go

To the valley below "(One More Cup of Coffee")

FEMME FATALITY

Costello:

She's filing her nails while they're dragging the lake ("Watching the Detectives")

Dylan:

Rosemary started drinkin' hard and seein' her reflection in the knife

("Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts")

NOTHING WRONG WITH A CHEAP JOKE

Costello:

The long arm of the law slides up the outskirts of town ("Clubland")

Dylan:

Poor boy, in the hotel called the Palace of Gloom

Calls down to room service, says, "Send up a room" ("Po' Boy")

MOST WITHERING LYRIC

Costello:

She said that she was working for the ABC news

It was as much of the alphabet that she knew how to use ("Brilliant Mistake")

Dylan:

You got a lotta nerve

To say you are my friend

("Positively 4th Street")

NO, REALLY - MOST WITHERING LYRIC

Costello:

'Cos when they finally put you in the ground

They'll stand there laughing and tramp the dirt down ("Tramp the Dirt Down")

Dylan:

I hope that you die

And your death'll come soon

("Masters of War")
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://phil.geekforce.com/2007/10/23/bo ... x-theater/

Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello (10-22-07, StL, MO; Fox Theater)

We just got back. Our seats were about 10-or-so rows back; it’s important to get as close as possible so the act’s facial expressions add dimension to the show. Simply put, if you’re back further, you can’t see the players’ faces.

Bob didn’t really have it tonight, but it’s not all his fault, in a sense. His interesting band, interesting because they all were in black leather (two well over sixty, which was interesting in itself), played flat. I’ll give the drummer a break here–he was great, and the sound system he was plugged into delivered the necessary ‘punch’ that all modern Dylan concerts unleash outward.

So it was a ‘one-dimensional’ situation. Bob’s got a unique style that can only be called ’stoic’. The band’s job is to carry him along. Ironically, his number ‘when teardrops fall’ was the number that stood out. Even though he had two guitars with him (this number was a three-guitar number), it was he, not them, that carried the lead. He played a guitar for another number, then got behind his hammond, and that was all she wrote.

HOWEVER, Elvis Costello offered an extraordinary show. Just solo (the bill said ‘acoustic’, and it was in a way), Elvis’s voice was magnificant. He strummed his cords, and he reached back and belted out stuff (I counted 12 in all) that still rattle inside me as I write this.

He looks terrific (he sported a grey-black tailored suit, a string tie, and modest, beautifully ordinary glasses), and his voice, though POWERFULLY projected and with WONDERFUL intonation, was crisp and clean as a shiny sword. Incredible. Toward the end, the third-to-last number, Elvis and Bob played a duet. Elvis carried it. Bob needn’t have been there. The song was powerful. I’ve never heard it, and I know my way around the material of both these artist’s repetriore. We got to hear a new one.

Bianca told me it’d be like this. Elvis is an absolute treat to be in a theater with. Don’t give up on Bob; he’ll pick another band (no one band plays with him twice) and that’ll fix everthing.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

A Dylan site says the Elvis/Dylan duet was Tears of Rage.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/atoz/2 ... ylan_t.php

Elvis Costello and Bob Dylan, Together at the Fabulous Fox Theatre -- Literally!

Tue Oct 23, 2007 at 02:41:41 PM

(Since Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello are, to put it mildly, iconic, A to Z sent two writers to review the show – one who’s never seen either in concert before, and a veteran who has years of Costello and Dylan shows under his belt. Surprisingly, each writer came to about the same conclusions, although the nuanced perspective of each gives a greater picture of the show as a whole. Read on below -- and be sure to check out the YouTube clips, which are generally rare live performances instead of straight videos. -- Annie Zaleski)

Review one:

It would be hard to find a concert where expectations were higher than last night’s pairing of Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello at the Fox Theatre. The ornate surroundings of the venue served as the perfect backdrop for three hours of music by two of the most revered songwriters and iconic performers in the history of popular music. But in his own way, each legend managed to deliver and embody his own myth -- by constantly reminding the audience of just how powerful a truly great song can be, regardless of the packaging.

Costello (although performing solo on this tour) came out swinging with a raucous version of “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes,â€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entert ... enDocument

Bob Dylan & Elvis Costello
By Daniel Durchholz

SPECIAL TO THE POST-DISPATCH
10/23/2007

Bob Dylan’s St. Louis concerts of the past few years, with opening acts Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard, were fine shows, but they didn’t produce any indelible superstar summits that found the legendary musicians performing together.

So it was a surprise when, during the encore of his sold-out appearance at the Fox Theatre on Monday, Dylan strode onstage with opening act Elvis Costello. The pair sang Dylan’s "Tears of Rage," with Costello taking the lead and Dylan joining in when the spirit moved him. The collaboration was impassioned, if a little tentative, but it was still one of those special moments that come along all too rarely.

Dylan’s proper set was pretty special, too. Though his voice has at times seemed little more than a turn-your-head-and-cough wheeze, at the Fox he sounded ancient and timeless, barking warnings like "The Levee’s Gonna Break" and spitting out bitter, withering versions of "Love Sick," "Ain’t Talkin’ " and "Things Have Changed."

When he faltered — Dylan’s croon on shuffling tunes like "Spirit on the Water" and "Summer Days" remains unconvincing — his band was always there to pick him up, especially guitarist Denny Freeman, whose solos were economical, but always on target.

Dylan sprinkled classic tunes, such as "It Ain’t Me, Babe," "Ballad of a Thin Man" and "All Along the Watchtower," throughout the two-hour performance, but he didn’t lay back on any of them. This was his finest performance in St. Louis since his three-night stand at the Pageant in 2004.

For anyone of lesser stature, Costello’s opening solo set would have been impossible to follow. As with Dylan, the classic tunes were there — "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes," "Alison" and "(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" — but it was the newer songs that impressed the most.

Costello debuted a song he recently wrote with Loretta Lynn that he said was about a man’s first wife speaking to the woman who took her place. He also sang "Sulfur to Sugarcane," about a piggish politician and a country-ish drinking song "Down Among the Wine and Spirits."

He closed his set with "The Scarlet Tide," a song written for the Civil War film "Cold Mountain" but refitted for the war in Iraq. Costello drew cheers as he threw down the challenge, presumably to the president, "Admit you lied/And bring the boys back home."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/10/23/210330.php

(extract)

Costello concluded with “The Scarlet Tide,â€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://double-parkingtheotterscheese.bl ... er-22.html

Fox Theatre
St. Louis, Missouri
October 22, 2007

First Encore:
Tears Of Rage

Elvis Costello and Bob on acoustic guitars and shared vocals, no other band members present.
This marks the first time in four years that Bob has played acoustic guitar in concert. It is the first time in 25 years he has performed a duet with any performer without a band.

http://rapidshare.com/files/64820575/Tears_Of_Rage.mp3
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Thanks, johnfoyle. I don't hear much Bob.
charliestumpy

TOR - EC

Post by charliestumpy »

Many thanks for this mp3 link - I am happy not hearing much Bob in this, as I have him doing it lots from past ...
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Very cool! Heaven bless the Foyles!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »