Elvis and The Imposters, Summerfest, Milwaukee, 5 Jul 2009

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis and The Imposters, Summerfest, Milwaukee, 5 Jul 2009

Post by sweetest punch »

http://consequenceofsound.net/2009/05/1 ... -and-more/

Summerfest:
Another week, another slew of acts announced for Summerfest ‘09. Among those now scheduled to stop by Milwaukee between June 25th and July 5th are Elvis Costello & the Imposters, Stevie Wonder, John Legend, The Veronicas, Phil Vassar, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Lita Ford, and Huey Lewis and the News. Expect even more names soon (click here for up-to-date lineup); pick up your Marcus Amphitheater - yes, you have to pay separately to see the headliners, and and general admission passes via Ticketmaster.com

http://www.summerfest.com/flash/#app=36 ... tedIndex=0
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Summerfest, Milwaukee, 5 Jul 2009

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going?
scamp

Post by scamp »

I am still considering since I've never seen him (them) live. It's a seven hour drive from the Tip O' the Mit.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://westlawnpark.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... tello.html

Slider K. Shaftacular blogs

(extract)

Dear Elvis Costello,

Thanks for helping close out Summerfest tonight. Your show was amazing. Two full hours! The Impostors sounded awesome. I think my favorite tune was "Monkey to Man" but thanks for playing "Allison". You really held out on us and I know my wife was getting nervous, but there it was right at the end of the encore.

Dude, I knew you were awesome. And I was really looking forward to your show. But I never appreciated what a talent you have for the guitar. You did everything from jazz odyssey to metal. You rule.

The long guitar solos really gave me time to think. Here you are, a New Wave legend and rock icon. And you're out here slumming it up and performing your heart out for the Summerfest crowd. I really appreciate it. Really, I do.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://onmilwaukee.com/seasonal/summerf ... est09.html

Photography by Whitney Teska

July 5, 2009
Bobby Tanzilo

Elvis Costello and the Imposters headlined the M&I Classic Rock on the south end of the grounds Sunday night as Summerfest 2009 came to a close. And Costello clearly took heed of the name of the stage when writing out the exactly two-hour set list.

In a career retrospective of a show, it took Costello 70 minutes to get around to playing "Sulfur to Sugarcane" -- the only song he'd play from his latest disc, "Secret, Profane & Sugarcane."

Perhaps that was not a major surprise, considering that with two long-time bandmates -- drummer Pete Thomas and keyboard player Steve Nieve -- and by now veteran sideman, former Cracker bassist Davey Faragher, in tow as The Imposters, Costello was primed to rock and "Sugarcane" is an acoustic Americana roots record produced by T Bone Burnett.

So, consider last year's "Momofoku" this band's latest outing and from it, they did three tunes, opening the set with "Stella Hurt" and adding "Turpentine" and "Go Away" later on.

Instead, the band focused on hits and deeper cuts from the Costello back catalog. It's easier to name the records up to 1987 not represented Sunday night -- "Get Happy!!!," "Almost Blue" and "Goodbye Cruel World."

From 1977's "My Aim Is True" Costello and company played "Red Shoes," "Waiting for the End of the World" and "Alison," which interpolated not only "Tracks of My Tears" and "Tears of a Clown," but also "Suspicious Minds." "Watching the Detectives" first appeared as a single after that disc.

"You Belong to Me," "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea," Pump It Up" and "Radio Radio" represented the "This Year's Model" era and "Accidents Will Happen" and "(What's So Funny Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" were drawn from 1979's "Armed Forces."

From "Trust," they played "Clubland" and from "Imperial Bedroom" the overflow crowd heard "Beyond Belief" and "Man Out of Time." An unusual arrangement of the familiar "Every Day I Write the Book" represented 1983's "Punch the Clock."

An electric version of "Brilliant Mistake" came from 1987's "King of America" and "Blood and Chocolate" from the same year provided "I Hope You're Happy Now" and "Uncomplicated."

The quartet also played "Monkey to Man" and "Bedlam" from 2004's "The Delivery Man" and "Radio Sweetheart," which Costello announced as the first song he ever recorded.

Costello and Nieve, especially, were clearly in a playful mood as the latter dithered with a theramin and quirky keyboard sounds that at time threatened to drown the show in novelty. Costello played rock god guitar, with lengthy solos that surprised even the longest, most die-hard fans.

On an extended version of "Detectives" Costello unleashed his inner Vernon Reid, playing a dissonant solo that had some shaking their heads in dismay and held others rapt.

Costello didn't chat all that much, but he did involve the crowd in a sing-along on "Red Shoes" and encouraged some rhythmic clapping. No, Sunday night, Costello was all business.

For those fans who love the rock and roll Elvis most of all, this show was a return to form and was much needed nutrition. Although he appeared at Summerfest two years ago, that was with New Orleans R&B legend Allen Toussaint.

Sunday night's performance was Costello's first Milwaukee rock show in years. And it sure felt good.

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/49988647.html

July 6, 2009

Bob Purvis

Elvis Costello has always been a musical chameleon; his more recent projects have veered off into headier realms such as jazz and even orchestral production.

But backed by the Imposters for his headlining show Sunday at the M&I Bank Classic Rock Stage, the man in glasses cranked out the rock and new wave tunes that marked his early career to the loud approval of a massive audience.

With his guitar cranked loud, Costello displayed some of the finest ax work of the festival, looking as if he was physically conjuring feedback from his guitar with his contortions.

His trademark wordplay was also razor sharp as he nailed every bit of a festival-friendly set of early hits, from "Pump It Up," "Radio Radio" and "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea" to "Every Day I Write The Book."

Steve Nieve's contributions on organ and keyboards were another highlight of what was certainly one of this year's most memorable shows.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://milwaukee.decider.com/articles/s ... day,30014/

Mollie Boutell-Butler

July 6, 2009

(extract)

I decided to leave the aging skankers behind and find a good spot for the Elvis Costello And The Imposters show over at the M&I Classic Rock Stage, which I quickly discovered was nowhere near large enough for all of Costello's fans. A half-hour before the show started, the stage stood in the distance as if it were on the East Side of Detroit. Eventually I smooshed my way to a spot with a better view of the stage, where I realized that Costello really does look like a dude in his 50s. From a distance, he resembled the nerdy punk on the cover of My Aim Is True; from a different vantage point, he looked like that guy’s craggy uncle. But you’d never guess from hearing him play. Costello’s two-hour set—which included a seven-song, hits-laden encore beginning with “Alison” and ending with "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding"—was flawless. Sometimes it almost sounded too much like the recordings, but the extended jams on “Watching The Detectives” shook things up nicely. (Though, since “Watching The Detectives” isn’t my favorite Costello song, I wasn’t totally in love with it being 27 times longer.)

Still, it was a perfect wrap-up to Summerfest. I’m going to miss all the friends I made here, like the guy who moved seamlessly from air drumming to air guitar to full-on head-bobbing during Costello’s show. Or the girls walking back and forth throughout the grounds while wielding cans of hairspray. Or all the people I saw hauled out by security. I have to admit it—I can’t wait for next year.

http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/blog-39 ... athon.html

Elvis Costello's Two-Hour Summerfest Marathon

Evan Rytlewski
6 July '09

The challenge for Elvis Costello: Whether to spend his hour show playing his old hits or his ample recent material. The solution: Spend two hours playing both.

Anybody hoping to hear a particular song at Costello’s super-sized set Sunday night at Summerfest’s M&I Classic Rock Stage probably walked away happy. Among the highlights: “Everyday I Write the Book,” “Clubland” “I Hope You’re Happy Now,” “Watching the Detectives,” “Radio Radio,” “Accidents Will Happen,” “(I Don’t Want to Go To) Chelsea,” “Uncomplicated,” “Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes,” a rocking version of the not-inherently rocking “Beyond Belief” and a sing-along “(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” to close the night. Costello so methodically touched on his career highlights that it almost seemed like an oversight that he neglected to play anything from 1980’s Get Happy!!, his R&B album, but maybe he didn’t have to, since even Costello’s genre experiments—folk, Americana, reggae, rock ’n’ roll—are nonetheless grounded in the R&B songwriting conventions that record made explicit. To prove the point, Costello bent his most celebrated ballad, “Alison,” into a soul medley, boisterously crooning “Try a Little Tenderness,” “Tears of a Clown” and “Suspicious Minds” as if he’d written them himself.

Summerfest’s Classic Rock Stage is where headliners go to die, making a restless shark like Costello an odd fit for the stage. He’s not one to coast on nostalgia. He unceremoniously positioned “Pump it Up” as the second song of his set, denying himself a safe set-closer, and he matched every hit with a deep cut or newer tune, most of which the crowd ate up.

Perhaps the most remarkable thing about Costello’s set—aside from how fiercely and consistently it rocked and how aggressive a guitarist Costello has become—is how even at two hours it barely scratched the surface of Costello’s songbook. Perhaps wisely, Costello avoided any number that might kill the party, but that decision came at the expense of darker tunes like “Shabby Doll” and “I Want You" not to mention prestige material like his jazz standard “Almost Blue” and his Oscar-nominated “Scarlet Tide.” It’d take a week of shows to do justice to Costello’s entire discography, but last night’s was the perfect, upbeat primer for a celebration like Summerfest.
scamp

Post by scamp »

Image Image
Image Showing the love for SteveImage

Well, I had never seen Johnny Cash perform and wanted to know I was able to see a performer of equal caliber and be able to share my experience ( I get carried away I can't help it ). My mind was finally made up after I made the hotel reservation. I packed a change of clothes and some toiletries and left a note for my son (19) on my computer saying I'd be back tomorrow. Just Me and R2(car) on our way to Milwaukee.

I made it through security with my camera but so did everyone else it seemed. I got there early enough to get a decent spot where I was not close enough to feel like a threat or threatened by security ( I have never done anything like take pictures but then I didn't feel a need to at other shows). There was a kid, couldn't have been more than 10 and he turned and said "Oh, I hope he plays "Oliver's Army". Is that beautiful? During the Opening Act I spotted EC in the Wings, Dapper as usual. I thought I saw Steve out on stage earlier but I wasn't sure thinking, that looks like Steve. Could that be Steve? Pete was out there too with the techs.

They blazed through the set and one encore and EC seemed to only stop to get a drink of water and didn't bother with a lot of banter. Truly seasoned professionals. I did get some meager clips. I just mainly wanted to capture some guitar work and I love the jamming part in Turpentine. It was the first time I've seen him (them) in concert I was so busy beboppin, I almost fell off the bench. I should be glad I came away with anything apart from being blown away.

I was hoping to get an autograph like others at previous shows had done but I was not fast enough when he (they) were finally spotted leaving and he signed but a few things which people where handing to him over a mesh covered fence (I could be mistaken, it was dark). It seemed really weird but if that was the norm I figured I'd better do the same, so I waved my Imperial Bedroom CD booklet as high as I could but like I said, I wasn't fast enough and he said something like thankyou and got into a vehicle. I was surprised that Steve,Pete and Dave were like gone too. I wanted their autographs too or just to say Thankyou, for an amazing performance. Oh well, They gave enough and then some and probably wanted to get outta Dodge.

I got back to the hotel to write down what I could remember about the set. Plus, call my son and tell him I was safe and had a great time. He said, he finally spotted the note later in the day. He said he heard me leave that morning and was thinking gosh they sure are gone a longtime.

What I could remember (Only first and last are correct order)

Stella Hurt
Pump It Up
Uncomplicated
Turpentine
Bedlam (I think this is the song - somethin about a whore carrying another man's child)
Man Out of Time
Are You Happy Now
I Don't Wanna Go To Chelsea
Beyond Belief
Clubland
Radio, Radio
Accidents Will Happen
Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes
Radio Sweetheart
Brilliant Mistake
Every Day I Write The Book
Waiting For The End Of The World
Monkey To Man
Sulphur To Sugarcane
Watching The Detectives
Alison
You Belong To Me
Go Away
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love And Understanding?

I converted the clips to mp4 and put them in a share folder.
(and I mean meager no complete songs)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d540 ... 0a1ae8665a
Last edited by scamp on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks Scamp - a truly involving account!
JEM

Post by JEM »

This has probably already been discussed, but EC sure looks like he's shedding some pounds. He looks great!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

He's looking great! Good on him!
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

...actually, I'm starting to feel a little concerned about the weight loss. It's kind of a startling change--recent photos vs. those from around the 1st of the year. Seems like a LOT of weight to lose in just a few months.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I've got a friend in work who lost weight over about six months. It is a bit alarming, but he looks really well now - much better than he used to in fact. It just takes a bit of getting used to! I think he looks great!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

For real - or 'net fabrication?

http://steldt.blogspot.com/2009/07/acci ... appen.html

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Accidents Will Happen

Posted by Trevor

On the night of July 5th, 2009 while performing at Milwaukee's Summerfest, Elvis Costello dedicated a rousing rendition of his hit tune Accidents Will Happen to his long time fan and occasional lyrical advisor, Brian Hinshaw. That morning, Hinshaw had shattered his femur during a run in with a bull moose in the wilds of Northern Minnesota. He avoided further injury by taking shelter in the hollow of a massive white pine and fending off the aggresive beast with his new Shakespere fishing pole oufitted with 12 pound test line.

Brian was lucky to escape with his life and is now resting comfortably back at his comfortable Victorian mansion on Milwaukee's hip and happening East Side. He noted that the injury may actually be a blessing in disguise as it will give him more time to concentrate on beer.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Summerfest, Milwaukee, 5 Jul 20

Post by sweetest punch »