Tesla to Back Elvis Costello for Upcoming Acoustic Tour

Pretty self-explanatory
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://theumpteenthtimes.com/?p=624

By Frank Gurbleck

NEW YORK—In support of his upcoming acoustic release, Secret, Profane & Sugarcane, Elvis Costello has enlisted the help of hard rock band, Tesla, to back him on his tour throughout the United States this summer. According to Costello, the band’s 1990 acoustic release, Five Man Acoustical Jam, has been a staple on his turntable since its release and he has been looking for an excuse to perform live with the band for almost twenty years.

“That’s one the most crucial acoustic records in rock history,” said Costello. “For a rock band to stick their necks out and risk their entire reputation on a five man acoustical jam was quite exciting for me as a listener. And it opened so many doors for other acts that were to follow in their footsteps.”

And Although Guns ‘n’ Roses “Patience,” Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead or Alive” and Poison’s “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” were recorded years before Five Man Acoustical Jam, Costello still feels Tesla’s approach to the acoustic guitar was the most significant out of the bunch and that was the main reason for choosing the band to back him.

“Oh, don’t get me wrong,” he continues. “We’re still going to do covers of those tunes, especially ‘Every Rose Has Its Thorn.’ That’s one of the most heartbreaking songs ever written. Loretta Lynn could’ve written that one. It’s just that Tesla, like the inventor whose name they borrowed, were the true innovators.”

Members of Tesla have expressed their excitement about the upcoming tour, though, according to Jeff Keith, vocalist, the band hadn’t ever heard of Elvis Costello until his management contacted them about the tour.

“At first I thought they were talking about Elvis Presley,” said Keith. “But then I remembered that he was dead. Then I thought they were talking about the guy from Abbott and Costello but then I figured he had to be dead too. So finally I went out and bought an Elvis Costello record. It was okay. Not the greatest thing I ever heard, but apparently he has a decent following and, truth be told, we kind of need the money.”

The tour will span the entire length of the United States over the next three months and Mr. Costello promises that fans of his, as well as fans of Tesla, will both walk away satisfied.

“Oh yeah, we’re playing everything. ‘Allison,’ ‘Everyday I Write the Book,’ ‘Modern Day Cowboy,’ ‘Signs,’ whatever. We’ve been rehearsing all those tunes. It’s just a pleasure to be performing with such incredible musicians.”

In response, Mr. Keith said humbly, “It’s true. We are great musicians. This guy isn’t that bad either. Though I have to be honest. Why does he always wear those stupid glasses? Doesn’t he know he looks like a dork?”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Man_Acoustical_Jam
bambooneedle

Re: Tesla to Back Elvis Costello for Upcoming Acoustic Tour

Post by bambooneedle »

The quotes in this article seem to be manufactured. I've been a fan of Tesla for a long time and I'd be very surprised if they said those things. Btw, it's very cool that EC recognizes their talent. I'd like to hear him involved in any version of Paradise.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i, also, have and LOVE that lp!!! i thought i was weird back then!!! but, IS THIS TRUE???? when is this tour to occur....before the NEXT SUGARCANES tour? and why do they say..."his upcoming release"????
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

It's a joke. It even says "music news that's fit to fake" at the top of the page.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Not that the subject of Elvis is above satire, but having perused over some of the other articles on this site, it just doesn't seem all that funny at all. It's like The Onion, except without a drop of humor. Oh, Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are going to commit suicide after performing at the Superbowl? I GUESS that's funny...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:It's a joke. It even says "music news that's fit to fake" at the top of the page.

that's more like it..smelt TOO fishy! i hadn't went to the link, just read it at the first post here... :lol: :lol: :lol: