10 Best Sandwiches

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

10 Best Sandwiches

Post by Boy With A Problem »

1. Corned beef piled high with cole slaw and russian dressing on light rye
2. Italian Grinder w/everything - heavy on the hot peppers
3. Gyro
4. Po' Boy
5. Kangaroo (Roast Beef with salt, olive oil in pita bread)
6. Hot Pastrami and Swiss with mustard on a bulky roll.
7. Steak Bomb (again - heavy on the hot peppers)
8 Reuben
9. Turkey Club on toasted white
10. Buffalo Chicken Sandwhich
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

now we're talkin! Gyro would make my list, but I usually eat it as a dinner, not as a sandwich.... like with rice & potatoes.

1. cheeseburger. No arguments necessary... that's most certainly a sandwich!

2. chicken parmigiana sandwich (cheese, peppers, and mushroom an added bonus)

3. club sandwich with actual chicken or turkey breast (not cold cuts), lots of mayo, and crispy bacon.

4. montreal smoked meat and spicy mustard on rye bread (with a pickle on the side)

5. italian meatball sandwich (cheese, peppers, and mushroom an added bonus)

6. spicy chicken sub (from Canada's own, Mr. Sub chain of restaurants. Though not all locations seem to have it)

7. My own concoction... pesto and mozarella cheese grilled in one of those sandwich presses.

8. bagel with egg salad. Yum. The more authentic the bagel the better.

9. french baguette filled with cheese, vegetables, hard-boiled egg, etc. I forget the name for it, but it was tasty.

10. falafel in pita.. mmm
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

1. French Dip
2. Bacon Cheeseburger
3. Cheeseburger
4. Corned Beef
5. Pastrami on rye
6. A good four cheese sam'mich (Gorgonzola, cheddar, swiss, provolone)
7. Reuben
8. My dad's chicken & cheddar
9. My girlfriend's egg, cheese & biscuit
10. My mom's turkey burger
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

PHILLY CHEESE STEAK
Oyster Po' Boy
Meatball Sandwich (From Mamma's in Philly)
Turkey and Swiss on Dutch Crunch (from Luca's in San Francisco)
Herring in Curry Sauce on Danish Rye (open faced)
Danish Meatball Sandwich with Mayo and sweet red cabbage and pickels
Catfish Po' Boy
Shrimp Po' Boy
Bagel with Lox and Cream Cheese, tomato and onion
Paté with grilled bacon and mushrooms on Danish Rye (open faced)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Extra mature cheddar cheese with Branston Pickle...

Trying to get my own back. What are: reuben, po' boy (poor boy - it's a deep south thing, but what?), gyro, Swiss? It's another language altogether.

Hot bacon with lettuce, avocado and tomato.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

My brother-in-law makes the best sandwich ever--seared ahi tuna with dill mayonnaise, red onions and bibb lettuce on some kind of herbed roll.

Reuben: corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, thousand island dressing on russian rye bread. One of the wonders of the modern world.

Gyro: beef and lamb mixed with spices, broiled on a spit, carved off in thin slices, and usually served in pita bread with yogurt sauce and onions. Greek and yummy.

Hey Cope: Have you ever found Dutch crunch anywhere but San Francisco? The man of the house and I are always looking for it, because it is THE best bread for sandwiches, but we haven't seen it since we left SF.

What's a Branston pickle?
Last edited by Goody2Shoes on Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

pierce's pit bbq samich
smoked brisket sandwich
BLT (bacon, lettuce tomato) w/ mayo on good white bread.
fried bologna w/ mustard on white bread
catfish w/ lettuce, tomato, spicy tartar sauce
egg salad sandwich
scrambled egg and tomato on a bulkie (sandwich bun)
country ham on biscuit (VA style salt cured country ham)

i'm stopping there. reubens are fine, but they insist on putting swiss on them. and, well, actually, cheese and i no longer get along. besides, i've always hated swiss.

i had branston pickle and cheddar flavored crisps (potato chips) in england last time i was there. interesting.

oh! one more:

cheddar and chutney sandwich. which i also can no longer eat. :(
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I'd be partial to a Jude Law-Jarvis Cocker sandwich, myself.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

miss buenos aires wrote:I'd be partial to a Jude Law-Jarvis Cocker sandwich, myself.
Oh you just like the name 'Cocker', that's all! :lol:
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

what a bunch of carnivores, the exception being you miss ba as i assume you would be what was gobbled up, y'all make me sick. :(
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Half a filet of cow in a baguette loaded with mustard and beefsteak tomatoes....or...

Anything with melted emmental...yummy...
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

What's "emmental"?
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Emmental is a hard, pale yellow Swiss cheese. It has a sweet smell, with a fruity taste. The most prominent feature of Emmental is the walnut-sized holes it contains. It's damn fine melted over palma ham on a crispy french baguette..... 8)
bobster

Post by bobster »

I'd participate, but first I must ask an urgent question --

Is a hot dog a sandwich?
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

depends if its on a bun
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

oily! give me some suggestions for vegan sandwiches then!

in the 'White Trash Cookbook' there a 'recipe' for something like peanutbutter and mayo, or maybe peanutbutter and onion. can't remember. won't try it.

bobster - place i used to go to, can't recall the name, but it was a car-hop, w/ the trays that hang off the car windows, they had a 'twirly-dog' - it's a hotdog cut to spiral around on a bun. mmmmmm.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Gotta be BLT....

or a hangover special, a fried egg on sausage, with cheese and red sauce, on toasted brown bread. Mmmmm cholesterol!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

So does Swiss = Emmental, or is it another variety of the many of swiss cheeses?

Branston pickle is a very popular brand of pickle. 'Pickle' here being vegetables cooked with vinegar and spices to make a thick concoction you buy in a jar, nmothing to do with what we call a 'gherkin' (what do you call our 'pickle'). It's a minefield.

Smoked wild salmon, gentle touch of lemon, Irish soda bread.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

A pickle here generally refers to a cucumber that's sat in a jar of vinegar for an extended period of time - with different spices added for the different varieties - my favorite is the half sour which must always be refrigerated.

Anything else that has been "pickled" uses pickle as an adjective (pickled onions, pickled eggs etc.)

Don't know about Emmental - but Swiss is the cheese with the big holes. Strangely enough, my favorite brand is Finlandia Swiss (which I assume is Finnish in origin).
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: Branston pickle is a very popular brand of pickle. 'Pickle' here being vegetables cooked with vinegar and spices to make a thick concoction you buy in a jar, nmothing to do with what we call a 'gherkin' (what do you call our 'pickle'). It's a minefield.
That sounds like what we call 'chow chow'.

Second best sandwich: Thick slices of vine-ripened Jersey tomatoes on soft white bread, slathered with mayonnaise and sprinkled with coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper. Must be eaten over the sink to fully appreciate.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

1. Chip butties
2. Bacon butties
3. Bacon & fried egg butties
4. Fried egg butties
5. Fish butties with bits
5. Toasted sausage sarnies with ketchup
6. Crisp sandwiches (that's "potato chips" for those across the pond)
7. Peanut butter
8. "Pret a manger" Coronation Chicken
9. Extra strong cheddar (untoasted) in toasted bread
10. Strawberries & cream sandwiches (only in Japan....)
Where's North from 'ere?
bobster

Post by bobster »

Goody2Shoes wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote: Branston pickle is a very popular brand of pickle. 'Pickle' here being vegetables cooked with vinegar and spices to make a thick concoction you buy in a jar, nmothing to do with what we call a 'gherkin' (what do you call our 'pickle'). It's a minefield.

That sounds like what we call 'chow chow'.
Chow-chow?? Okay, not only do we have the American/Canadian/English divide, but we've also got the Westcoast/Midwest/Southern/Eastcoast regional divide as well.

What Otis describes sounds to me at least like a close relative of what I've always known as relish -- usually mashed up sweet pickles (i.e. pickled gherkins/cucumbers), which I am not overly fond of, unless it is put in mayonaise (and magically becomes tarter sauce) or combined with ketchup and mayo (and magically becomes thousand island dressing!)

Or maybe pickles/chow-chow is something else again entirely foreign to me. (Like Spam, which I've never tasted, or Vegemite, which I've never seen.)

But, okay, here are my ten favorites.

1. "juicy" Pastrami on rye or other deli breads, with brown mustard (preferably from the 2nd Avenue deli in NYC or from Brent's -- a great deli in a disgusting mall in Northridge, a really icky part of the San Fernando Valley...but what a deli!)

2. Very thin sliced pastrami on a french dip (this is the specialty of Johnny's Pastrami in Culver City -- it's a strictly L.A. thing, as far as I know, and can be had in some other places around here, like The Hat in Pasadena, but I haven't tried their version).

3. A char-broiled hamburger or cheeseburger, cooked medium rare. (This is a hard to describe burger with that charcoaly taste.) Now an endangered species, because eating burgers medium rare these days seems to be considered on a par with blowfish in terms of danger. Also, I suspect pollution regulations may make that char-broiled taste a problem. The best I've had in semi-adulthood was in a now long defunct punk-rocky sort of place called Raydeon. (Their last location was across from the Music Machine in West L.A., also no long defunct.)

4. A Pink's Chili Dog (made special by Hoffy's -- Orson Welles supposedly once ate eighteen of 'em!)

5. A double Tommy's Chili-cheeseburger. (Better eat it fast! Preferably while stoned!) The huge tomato is just part of the secret!

6. In a frou-frouy, healthy change of pace, a seared ahi steak sandwich -- actually far better than most cow steak sandwiches. Nearly always good, wherever you get it...

7. A roast beef po'boy with something called "debris" (sort of an extra fatty au jus). I've only had this once, in New Orleans at one of the Po-Boy specialty places. Possibly "Mothers" but I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that it was the best roast beef sandwich I've had, despite being not-rare-at all!

8. A muffalleta, which features a round type of Italian bread, sliced in half with a couple of different types of cheese and Italian deli meats (I'm sure prosciutto is in there), but the key is this sort of tapanade-like olive spread, with TONS of olive oil. I had mine from the Central Market in New Orleans, which is apparently really the only place to get this. One quarter of one of these babies will fill you up for thirty years!

9. Does bagel, cream cheese and lox with tomato and raw onion count? I guess it does! (But I prefer to think of it as Jewish sushi.)

10. A post-Thanksgiving turkey sandwich, with only dark meat or very non-dry white meat, really great white bread and brown or dijon mustard and mayonaisse!

Boy, am I hungry now!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Goody2Shoes wrote: Gyro: beef and lamb mixed with spices, broiled on a spit, carved off in thin slices, and usually served in pita bread with yogurt sauce and onions. Greek and yummy.
Sounds like what we Brits would call a Kebab - essential eating if you're well oiled, but I wouldn't touch one sober (the 'meat' revolves on a spit for weeks).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

French baguette with chopped sirloin, frites and spicy mustard (on a street corner in France a few years ago - yum! - I've been working for a while to perfect this at home)

Reuben (best one being from Mulligan's in Nashville, then a place in Helen, GA)

Carney's chili cheeseburger (Sunset Strip, Hollywood - it was a long time ago but I never forgot it)

Black and bleu burger (blackened hamburger with bleu cheese - preferably on a kaiser roll)

Crabcake sandwich (homemade, also with homemade tarter sauce)

Grilled Cheese (too many combinations of cheese to mention - the possibilities are endless)

Portabella mushroom sandwich

Oyster po boy

Ham, egg and cheese on croissant (made by me)

French dip
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

homemade crabcake sammiches spooky? can i come visit NOW?????

yummmmm.