wish list recordings

Pretty self-explanatory
bil1cat

wish list recordings

Post by bil1cat »

I, like most of you all, have lots of Costello shows. There have been a few from my wish list that have shown up lately, like the Mccabes show. Two that i wish would show, is the show with Elvis and the Finn brothers, and Elvis with Rosanne Cash doing the numbers show. Anyone else missing out on a dream show? One of us may have it.
Bill
:mrgreen:
And No Coffee Table

Re: wish list recordings

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Any of the "Elvis Costello Experience" shows from April 1980.

The 1979-03-12 or 1981-01-20 Nashville shows.

Anything from the Australia/New Zealand leg of the Mighty Like A Rose tour.

2006-04-02 Maui, with the alleged performance of "The Comedians."

2009-10-14 Canberra, with the only known performance of "I Throw My Toys Around."
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
Any of the "Elvis Costello Experience"shows from April 1980.
Right.
There were only 2 shows actually performed, correct?
I don't recall ever hearing anything about a setlist, even.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

bil1cat wrote: Two that i wish would show, is the show with Elvis and the Finn brothers, and Elvis with Rosanne Cash doing the numbers show.
Bill
:mrgreen:
I second that Rosanne Cash show. I went to that one (thanks, rozy!) and was happy to see that even thugh it was small room, they broadcast it in an adjacent lounge on TV where I was sure someone would be recording at least the audio. So many unique performances that night! But no one seems to have taped it!

Dave
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Has anybody got the Swedish Spinning Songbook show from 1986 with Jackson Browne? If so could I have a copy and I will be your friend forevermore.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
krm

Post by krm »

Lund 1979 or Malmö 1981 would be nice too, since I had the pleasure to attend those shows!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Any of the UK Get happy tour from 1980 like Hastings where Elvis allegedly lost it during Alison or Porthcawl where The Attractions were apparently invited to go drinking with a local gang of skinheads !!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

the night at the Beacon (2005?) where i had a bad tape flip and lost 45 minutes including HUBERT SUMLIN!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Dr. Luther wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:
Any of the "Elvis Costello Experience"shows from April 1980.
Right.
There were only 2 shows actually performed, correct?
I don't recall ever hearing anything about a setlist, even.
Guernsey, my first ever EC show was one, and I think it was still the threesome when they played Jersey (where I lived, but didn't attend cos as a 15 year old I'd blown all my money going to Guernsey and staying in a B & B with my mates - the Guernsey tickets were on sale well before Jersey was announced). I have a feeling there was one or even two shows in England too. I have looked it up in the past... As far as I am aware, there are no bootlegs of any of them (Sulky Lad would know if there were, and he didn't have any). I think the setlist was probably fairly standard, just with the additional battery of effects pedals. I remember thinking Oliver's Army was insane with no keyboards. Well most of it was, really. It just seemed INCREDIBLY loud to my 15 year old ears. And beery. And, I suppose, smoky. It was great. This would, of course, be my dream bootleg.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I remember Otis telling us about this gig back in 2002 (or maybe 2005) and feeling like I'd been cheated out a chance of a rare and extraordinary gig. Obviously nothing has surfaced over the years though I still live in hopes of finding the elusive box of tapes with precious concerts hidden within. I wonder if any of the Attractions have any shows on tape. I remember Pete Thomas ( I think) telling us that Steve would lose the cassette of the gig they'd just performed before he would reach their hotel ( or something like that). I think Verbal was with me at the time and maybe he could confirm this story.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

meaning what sulky...nightly the band went home with a cassette of each show???? woo-hoo if true!!!!!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sulky lad wrote:I remember Pete Thomas ( I think) telling us that Steve would lose the cassette of the gig they'd just performed before he would reach their hotel ( or something like that). I think Verbal was with me at the time and maybe he could confirm this story.
I remember you telling me Pete was the archivist.

I can't specifically remember this conversation but then I was probably drunk or starstruck (or both :lol: ).

Steve is a lovely guy but can come across as a bit scatty :lol: so it wouldn't surprise me!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I recall being given a cassette of Sheffield 1983 from an occasional trader who told me he'd got this copy from a friend of (a friend of ....) Pete . They'd apparently gone around to this musician friend's ( I think it was connected to Paul Carrack for some reason) house and mentioned playing in Sheffield and Pete had produced this recording. The "guest" had sneaked the cassette out and made a copy which he'd kept to himself until the trader had come across it and liberated it. I was so excited about receiving this, assuming it would be a soundboard but when I played it,it sounded like an inferior nth generation audience copy. The trader had then insisted that Pete kept all the recordings the band made and that there was a treasure trove of live stuff waiting to be released but I've always doubted this given the way the Rhino and Demon reissues have only tended to source a very limited number of live show soundboards (again and again and again ...)
But what if ! :shock:
Otis Westinghouse

Yep, I remember that point about Pete being a keen collector. You'd have thought they'd have been keen to keep a memento of the bizarre three-piece shows, wouldn't you? Then again, judging by EC's Trust liner notes, maybe not! I also remember seeing your immense list of bootlegs, Sulky, and thinking 'oboy oboy, he's going to have Guernsey' and no joy. The weird thing was someone popped up on this forum years back who had also been at Guernsey, proving EC doubly wrong!

Here are the notes:

"We were on the Channel Island of Jersey, a deeply conservative tax-haven belonging to the U.K. but improbably close to the French coast. It was hardly the most likely location to be starting out on a European tour, but then this was hardly a typical tour. Steve Nieve had recently been injured in a car accident in Los Angeles, and I had taken the rash decision to take the road in a trio format.
Our opening-night concert, on the nearby island of Guernsey, had been a disaster that few of the traumatized audience members will talk about to this day. Having equipped myself with a terrifying stock of guitar pedals and a ferocious cocktail of mind-bending liquids, we stumbled through two more such wretched nights before enlisting the help of Martin Belmont, a guitarist from Graham Parker’s band, The Rumour. Once he arrived we went rampaging through Europe, occasionally finding the energy to play concerts featuring the two-guitar format that can be heard on one track of this, my fifth album (and sixth record release) in four years."

I've always loved that summing up of my home island of Jersey! EC is definite here about two more such nights, but the wiki only lists the two islands and in the notes says 'possibly three'. Anyone got a better source that can tell us what that third night was? I'm sure I've seen it somewhere. Also, the wiki doesn't show the dates for the two Channel Island shows. I can't recall what day of the week it was as it was the Easter hols. I have a feeling it was a Thurs or Fri and Jersey the Saturday. Wish I'd kept my ticket!

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Experience

Elsewhere, dammit, a bootleg exists of the Birmingham Odeon show posted about on the PTC thread:

http://www.elviscostello.info/disc/boot ... m_back.jpg

Nice to see the setlist! Funnily enough I wouldn't have known the IB songs as for some mad reason I missed out on it at the time. I do recall the awesome Shipbuilding rendition (see PTC thread) being preceded by a killer Charm School and finding that coupling the definite high point. will have to look out for this on Dime. Anyone got it?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Send me your address Otis and I'll snail mail you a copy - I'll get on with it tonight !
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

My wish would be the full Albert Hall show with the RPO, supposed be part of the live re-issues but may never see light of day
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

Mine isn't a show, but nevertheless love a copy of the Unwanted Numbers bootleg compilation. I've searched high and low, haven't found diddly squat of it. If anyone could help me out with a mediafire link or something, I'd be happy to rustle through my own bootleg collection and see if I can return the favour.

On second thoughts, that Elvis Costello/Rosanne Cash show sounds amazing. I'd love to get me a bit of that if at all possible too.
sulky lad wrote:Any of the UK Get happy tour from 1980 like Hastings where Elvis allegedly lost it during Alison or Porthcawl where The Attractions were apparently invited to go drinking with a local gang of skinheads !!
I've got a bootleg from the Heatwave Festival in Toronto, 23/8/80 if that sounds interesting at all? PM me if it does.
...the cost of living in sin would make a poor man out of Paul Getty...
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

May 1977, Nashville Rooms, opening for the Rumour!
scamp

Post by scamp »

Unwanted Numbers still seeding on Dime.
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=174486

There are a handful of 80's shows on the wiki site and a kind soul gave a link to Hope and Anchor show in the trading post section. Don't know if that helps any.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

scamp wrote:Unwanted Numbers still seeding on Dime.
There are also Mediafire links in this thread (about halfway down the page):
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... f=2&t=6876
krm

Post by krm »

[quote="scamp"]Unwanted Numbers still seeding on Dime.

Thanks! I seem to have missed this one!
Otis Westinghouse

sulky lad wrote:Send me your address Otis and I'll snail mail you a copy - I'll get on with it tonight !
A public thank you to Sulky. Gosh it's good! Sound is good, performance is stonking. Very like the fever pitch of the PTC CD2 Austin Texas beauties, also with Backstabbers/King Horse segue, Possession (so good with the horns punctuating!) and Watch Your Step, but sadly no The Bells, which I just love.

It's fascinating to hear something over 27 years after its recording and think 'I was there'. And also 'gosh I don't remember that'! Cos I was a teenage idiot who constantly decided he was post-everything I had bypassed Imperial Bedroom, so would barely have known if at all Town Crier or Beyond Belief. I witnessed the live debut of I Just Want to be Loved and also, I read on the wiki, Joe Tex's Tell Me Right Now. Also contains a nice Peace in our Time - first aired only the previous month - and a great Stand Down Margaret, which I loved hearing at the time.

Shipbuilding is as great as I recall, and I also remember how great the lighting was on it - lots of white light with big lines across or something. I just loved the fullness of sound of the TKO horns and Afrodisiak (bear in mind my only previous experience was of the above-recalled threesome!).

This leads me to ask the hardcore bootleg aficionados for their top 5, say, recordings. I'm a sporadic lightweight (and in fact a general cooling off on EC in the last couple of years has meant no new exploring, but I seem to have been triggered by National Ransom into rediscovering my EC mojo and right now I can't stop playing him).

Right now I'm enjoying the ATUB Beacon stuff (sound is pretty rough at times!) and of course this Birmingham Dec '83 one. One I've always loved is the Costello/Nieve Berlin FM one. Superb show, proper radio quality.

Was there a single tour where we can say 'Elvis never sounded better'? I can imagine '83 being up there. Is there a boot of the rest of the Austin Texas radio recording that gives us the PTC gems? I'd like to reconstruct the show!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sheesh, another soundboard queen...THEY'RE FOOKIN' BOOTLEGS!!!!!!!!!! better than NOT having it!!!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: A public thank you to Sulky. Gosh it's good! Sound is good, performance is stonking. Very like the fever pitch of the PTC CD2 Austin Texas beauties, also with Backstabbers/King Horse segue, Possession (so good with the horns punctuating!) and Watch Your Step, but sadly no The Bells, which I just love.
Does this show circulate anywhere?
Otis Westinghouse wrote:
This leads me to ask the hardcore bootleg aficionados for their top 5, say, recordings.
I'm by no means hardcore. In fact when it comes to bootlegs I'm basically a newbie. But the ones I'm loving right now are:

Forest Hills August 27, 1982 - incredible audience tape
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=339229

Brussels September 15, 2002 - excellent FM source
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=343479

EC and Steve in Berlin 1999 - amazing duet
(it's on Dime but I can't find the link)

EC solo in Chicago December 20, 2010 - brilliant
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=337279
Otis Westinghouse wrote: Is there a boot of the rest of the Austin Texas radio recording that gives us the PTC gems? I'd like to reconstruct the show!
I have the King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast on cassette tape, which appears to be most of the show when compared to the wiki listing. If not circulating, I can post on Dime.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Now that Otis has been able to listen to the whole of Birmingham, I'll put it up on dime this week. I've been prolific on dime for me, the Squeeze show from last November and the Brussels FM show have both been from me. Patience folks, I'm getting into this again ! :roll: